Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 9, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #10,982 of 19,009
I know that the Mscaler will be next on the list. You kind of realise that when you look at the storm cables website and wonder how to plan on spending a grand on interconnects.......
I would suggest living with the stock BNC cables for a while before dropping significant money on upgraded cables If you purchase an M-Scaler. Nick’s cables have received many favorable reviews and I recall you can return them with no questions asked but I’d contact them directly to verify that’s still the case. I opted for a less expensive alternative from Moon Audio (silver dragon) and I am satisfied but I may try the Wave cables at a future point if I can preview a set.

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #10,983 of 19,009
I would suggest living with the stock BNC cables for a while before dropping significant money on upgraded cables If you purchase an M-Scaler. Nick’s cables have received many favorable reviews and I recall you can return them with no questions asked but I’d contact them directly to verify that’s still the case. I opted for a less expensive alternative from Moon Audio (silver dragon) and I am satisfied but I may try the Wave cables at a future point if I can preview a set.
By doing that you will be sure to notice the difference. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #10,984 of 19,009

This is exactly what I did. But I made an error the 1st time i ordered my Silver Dragon BNC Cables. I ordered mine prior to getting the M-Scaler and they where too short to sit side by side only stacked. So, it was too long befor I realised the error. Therfore, I have a set of Dual BNC Cables that are like new. Only connected for a week I replaced them with the longer ones. If anyone is interested PM me.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #10,985 of 19,009
By doing that you will be sure to notice the difference. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’m not so sure about that. At some point the law of diminishing returns kicks in. I believe (though I can’t really substantiate it objectively) the Moon Audio BNC cables made a “difference” but I can’t state for sure that it improved the quality of my music as opposed to just sounding a bit different. I have made numerous incremental changes (power management and power cables, upgraded USB cable, IsoPucks, upscale headphones, better speakers, bi-wiring, etc, etc, etc.) and now I just try to concentrate on enjoying the result.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #10,986 of 19,009
I’m not so sure about that. At some point the law of diminishing returns kicks in. I believe (though I can’t really substantiate it objectively) the Moon Audio BNC cables made a “difference” but I can’t state for sure that it improved the quality of my music as opposed to just sounding a bit different. I have made numerous incremental changes (power management and power cables, upgraded USB cable, IsoPucks, upscale headphones, better speakers, bi-wiring, etc, etc, etc.) and now I just try to concentrate on enjoying the result.
I compared the WAVE Storm cables against the standard dual BNC cables and noticed a difference that was significant enough for me to justify spending the money. Entirely subjective of course and subject to affordability.

Dec 9, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #10,987 of 19,009
I compared the WAVE Storm cables against the standard dual BNC cables and noticed a difference that was significant enough for me to justify spending the money. Entirely subjective of course and subject to affordability.
Oh, believe me...I love to spend on new things and I actively considered them but at that price point I would have returned the TT2 (still within a return window) and purchased a DAVE! But, of course I would still have considered the Wave...God, it never ends does it?

Dec 9, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #10,988 of 19,009
Oh, believe me...I love to spend on new things and I actively considered them but at that price point I would have returned the TT2 (still within a return window) and purchased a DAVE! But, of course I would still have considered the Wave...God, it never ends does it?
Well I'm hoping it has!

Who am I kidding... :sweat_smile:

Dec 9, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #10,989 of 19,009
just say NO

Dec 9, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #10,991 of 19,009
Dec 9, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #10,992 of 19,009
I tried that but these days I just say yes to pretty much everything.

I found what helps is to keep a spreadsheet for the hobby. I started it just because I wanted to know what I bought when, at what price, and how big a loss I am taking when selling.

I have four columns, by type of equipment (headphones, amps/dacs, cables, misc). I have sub-totals. I then have an overall total. When I look at that overall total these days, it's easy to say I am done for 2020 and 2021. :)

Pro tip - also calculate a monthly average for the spend in a given year. If that monthly average exceeds 10% of your income or whatever percentage seems relevant to you, you might need to take a break. :)

(as told by Captain Fantastic only half joking)

Dec 9, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #10,993 of 19,009
I found what helps is to keep a spreadsheet for the hobby. I started it just because I wanted to know what I bought when, at what price, and how big a loss I am taking when selling.

I have four columns, by type of equipment (headphones, amps/dacs, cables, misc). I have sub-totals. I then have an overall total. When I look at that overall total these days, it's easy to say I am done for 2020 and 2021. :)

Pro tip - also calculate a monthly average for the spend in a given year. If that monthly average exceeds 10% of your income or whatever percentage seems relevant to you, you might need to take a break. :)

(as told by Captain Fantastic only half joking)
This is a great idea! I honestly don't think too much about prices because I know I go through gear like crazy and will just end up selling whatever I buy for a small loss, which I consider the price of enjoyment. But, at the same time, I'm scared to actually put everything down on the spreadsheet and see exactly how much the losses add up to!

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #10,995 of 19,009
Has Rob Watts ever mentioned which branded USB / Optical /BNC Cable he uses with his TT2/M Scaler? It would be nice to know what the designer uses as a reference :)
I believe he uses WAVE dual BNC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back