Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 9, 2020 at 2:53 AM Post #10,381 of 18,905
Is that you Toonartist? (from the Naim forum), if it is, welcome.

It is indeed.... though it was about time I created an account given I use it so much as a resource... and that I don't have any Naim gear left for now...might have to buy a Naim Muso to maintain membership!!

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #10,382 of 18,905
Rob. Sorry but I'm confused. You state: "So the mentioning of a ten minute warm-up time comes from Mojo and Hugo 2 as my Dave and TT2 are on all the time." So a good idea to leave my HugoTT2 on all the time? I OK with that but checking.........again. :)

Sep 13, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #10,386 of 18,905
System synergy is a funny old thing. I have had a Hugo TT for over 3 years. Its seen off an Auralic Vega and Luxman DA-06, FWIW. I just had my long awaited new speakers installed and took the opportunity to ask my dealer to bring their demo TT2 for a quick listen before they swapped the speakers.

I honestly didn't know what to expect. I've read reviews that say it's "lean", forum impressions that say it's "warmer than DAVE", and most recently, @kelly200269 describing it as being a shade brighter in his setup than the TT, which had me concerned and eyeing up PS Audio to be honest.

If I had to describe the sound in a word, it would be "phat"!

The increase in bass impact and definition was the biggest difference I noticed. It's still very detailed and dynamic but to my ears, in my system, it is indeed darker, more organic. Just delicious sounding music. Far more practical in a speaker system than its predecessor to boot.

Bear in mind I only played a few tracks, and didn't do any volume matched A/B, but it's certainly on my Christmas list. At which point I'll do some more thorough comparisons before selling the TT. It's also worth mentioning I had it connected by XLR for convenience whereas the TT is RCA so that may have contributed and is a comparison for another day as well.

(Aurender N100H > Hugo TT2 > Luxman L-590AXII > PMC Fact 12.)

Sorry for digging such an old post, but a quick question regarding using the TT2 as a DAC only. Are you using the DAC mode to the Luxman as 2.5v line level signal seems higher than usual wondering if you're using amp mode to attenuate the signal lower?

Sep 13, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #10,388 of 18,905
Sorry for digging such an old post, but a quick question regarding using the TT2 as a DAC only. Are you using the DAC mode to the Luxman as 2.5v line level signal seems higher than usual wondering if you're using amp mode to attenuate the signal lower?
Believe it or not I still haven't bought a TT2! It has been pushed down the upgrade list in favour of a new amp (L-509X) to better drive the speakers. I consider this testament to how good the original TT is.

In answer to your question, it will depend on the (pre)amp. Luxman's own DA-06 has an output of 2.5V. For the demo I had the TT2 in AMP mode and the volume green because my TT is left on 24/7 with the volume at the top of the greens also. I found the 3V output of the TT is too high. It's a suck it and see situation.

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #10,390 of 18,905
Believe it or not I still haven't bought a TT2! It has been pushed down the upgrade list in favour of a new amp (L-509X) to better drive the speakers. I consider this testament to how good the original TT is.

In answer to your question, it will depend on the (pre)amp. Luxman's own DA-06 has an output of 2.5V. For the demo I had the TT2 in AMP mode and the volume green because my TT is left on 24/7 with the volume at the top of the greens also. I found the 3V output of the TT is too high. It's a suck it and see situation.

I agree, they are incredible DACs, both the TT and TT2. I'm looking at pairing with the Luxman L-505UXII.. And I will be eyeing on your L-509X as well as the next logical upgrade. Ahh good to know Luxman's own DAC has an output of 2.5v, then I guess it should be fine then. Thank you for your insight on this!

Sep 13, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #10,391 of 18,905
You are losing neurons all the time. So maybe your hi-fi doesn’t sound better after 10 minutes, you just have less brain to listen with.

My neurons grow back after 10 minutes, and the music still sounds bad.

Sep 13, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #10,392 of 18,905
I took Rob Watt's suggestion and am leaving the TT2 on 24/7. I'm full of audio-gas but to me I can totally hear an instant difference when I start a new listening session.

Sep 14, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #10,393 of 18,905

Not quite sure what you mean here, but the following just in case.

TT2 in DAC mode is 2.5V.

In amp mode 2.5V is -5dB, I think in both LG and HG.

-7dB for 2V, which is line-level out for CD players etc.

Sep 14, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #10,394 of 18,905
Not quite sure what you mean here, but the following just in case.

TT2 in DAC mode is 2.5V.

In amp mode 2.5V is -5dB, I think in both LG and HG.

-7dB for 2V, which is line-level out for CD players etc.
Yup. It's the TT1 that is 3V in DAC mode, as was the 2Qute I think?

TT2 in DAC mode is probably fine with my amp but I dialled it down a bit for the demo.

By the way, is the TT2 2.5V over balanced as well?

Sep 14, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #10,395 of 18,905
My neurons grow back after 10 minutes, and the music still sounds bad.
It is well known that newly grown neurons need to be run in for at least 10 minutes. But unless you individually ferrite every single synapse in your cranium the effects of interstellar EMI will simply overwhelm your auditory cortex. But you can offset this by installing a heart-pacemaker, it only takes a couple of cuts and a bit of sewing, though it will invalidate your warranty. Small price to pay for peace of mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back