Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 30, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #9,721 of 18,905
Is WiFi hard to implement for great SQ when streaming?

I do not have an ethernet in my listening room only wifi and I’m using a MacBook running Audirvana so far. I was looking for a quality dedicated streamer (no dac or amp) that does wifi but find out most of the best ones are ethernet only? So I figured that if Innuos and even dCS won’t touch it, it’s probably not ideal for SQ.

Now, I’m thinking to put a SOtM USBultra between the MacBook and the TT2, maybe that will meaningfully improve the laptop streaming experience?

Anyone used a USB re-clocker on TT2 before? Does it helps?
I've got the same situation and wondering what to do. Unlike the Lumin, an Innuos Zen MKIII can act as a ROON Core and a streamer (Roon endpoint) and you can connect it to your DAC via USB or use a converter for SPDIF, optical, etc. Read this user's experience: https://www.audioshark.org/computer...mk-iii-initial-72-hour-impressions-15637.html
The Innuos does need to be connected to your network but if it's connected to Wifi only it should have no affect on the audio quality since ROON core does all the processing and spits it out to the DAC via a hard connection. The SOTM USB ultra is $1K and from what I've heard really needs a LPS to make a big enough difference so you're not really not that far off the cost of the Innuos. Don't forget that with the SOTM you still need a computer connected which also cost $$$ but is variable. I'm thinking that the Innuos gives you alot more functionality and performance for the cost.

Jun 30, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #9,722 of 18,905
avoid the whole thing, the computer, unless its a remote app, forget the re clocker, forget the LPS. get a great server. yes you want the modem connection in the server dac loop, from there you can have wifi remote connections to the network. faster, better and more reliable. But I'm sure there are many ways to slice the cake

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #9,723 of 18,905
avoid the whole thing, the computer, unless its a remote app, forget the re clocker, forget the LPS. get a great server. yes you want the modem connection in the server dac loop, from there you can have wifi remote connections to the network. faster, better and more reliable. But I'm sure there are many ways to slice the cake
You're Antipodes Audio DX3 is essentially functioning like a Innuos Zen MK3 -right? It seems they've discontinued the DX?

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #9,724 of 18,905
Yes and yes.

Jun 30, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #9,725 of 18,905
Wifi is fine when streaming rates up to 96k and with a great connection 192k. When streaming at 705/768 there will be dropouts. That is why I said to use ethernet. Just spent a wonderful hour streaming from EX/HQPlayer to the Pi4/TT upstairs at 768k.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #9,726 of 18,905
Can somebody show me the diagram how I'm supposed to solder xlr to banana plugs in order to connect my speakers directly to tt2 ?

My soldering skills are ok but I just want to be sure I won't blow up anything.
Also which xlr, bana plugs and wires should I use ? I don't want to make it super expensive just reasonable choice. It suppose to be just an experiment.

Oh and I should also mention that I only care about balanced type of connection as my speakers are not so efficient. So I need that extra voltage.

Pin 2 to red and pin 3 to black (and pin 1 open - nothing connected). Or you can try these reasonably priced adapters first: https://www.flashbacksales.co.uk/ac...ts-4-x-4mm-in-line-sockets-cable-set-372.html

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #9,727 of 18,905
Now that I'm using the TT2 I'm wondering what my next move should be? Should I replace my Mac Mini with a 'proper' streaming like an Innuos Zen MK3 or get an Mscaler instead (while l keep using my Mac Mini as my music server)?

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:27 PM Post #9,731 of 18,905
Mscaler will result in biggest Sq change.
But you'll end up getting a streamer eventually too

Cough it up
I know...just trying to prioritise and build a strong foundation where I can properly evaluate different streamers.

Jul 1, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #9,732 of 18,905
Now that I'm using the TT2 I'm wondering what my next move should be? Should I replace my Mac Mini with a 'proper' streaming like an Innuos Zen MK3 or get an Mscaler instead (while l keep using my Mac Mini as my music server)?

My vote would be for an MScaler. But be warned that it also might make you want to upgrade the dual BNC cables shortly there after.

I wouldn’t give up my MScaler/Wave Stream / TT2 for anything though. The sound is absolutely stunning. I also use my phone (iPhone XS Max) as a source, so you could use a phone or iPod or iPad as the source to stream if you have one available and it’s a cheap alternative with great sound until you want to buy a streamer.

Jul 1, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #9,734 of 18,905

The Zen MkIII is an excellent server for the money. Way better than a mac mini from both sound quality and user friendliness standpoints.
I have since upgraded to an Antipodes EX which offers a pre-loaded embedded version of HQ Player. My interest in the M scaler dropped significantly after hearing what HQP on the EX can do.

Jul 1, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #9,735 of 18,905
The Zen MkIII is an excellent server for the money. Way better than a mac mini from both sound quality and user friendliness standpoints.
I have since upgraded to an Antipodes EX which offers a pre-loaded embedded version of HQ Player. My interest in the M scaler dropped significantly after hearing what HQP on the EX can do.
Same here as far as using Hqplayer. No interest in mscaler now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back