Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 25, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #9,241 of 18,906
Question. I’m using roon at the moment and I have my TT2 directly connected to my 2015 MacBook Pro (core) mostly on battery via USB .
Am I using roon the right way?.. since I see most people using a streamer or roon nucleus etc .. I’m saving for an M scaler and really don’t want to buy another box to add to the chain.
I really like the roon software , just want to know if it’s good to use it this way ?.
Thanks in advance.
You are using it the right way

If you are sitting next to it, I wouldn't change a thing - exactly as you put "another box to add to the chain" and not just because you have to buy it, more because it complicates the chain for no reason. I use my TT2 with speakers, far away from my computers, and ROON endpoint in a form of AlloDigione does the job. If I used it as a Table Top 2 with headphones, I'd never add it. Less is more.

May 25, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #9,242 of 18,906
More is better but by more I mean better

May 25, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #9,244 of 18,906
I come to this thread daily to read the new posts. I miss my TT2 so much! Chord sure is taking care of the matter, but one thing that made it easier to cope was rediscovering my Mojo. I’ve sold my Hugo 2 so I could afford the TT2 and the Mojo was gathering dust for a while now but wow how amazing it is! I forgot how awesome it sounds for the size and price. I even prefer it over my A&K SP1000.

May 25, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #9,245 of 18,906
I have made a lot of changes to my 2 channel rig recently, hopefully this weekend I will be picking up my Nagra integrated. I got new speakers last week, but had been running them off an amp, so I can also use my new TT. Through the Nagra is how I will most likely run my Core/Mscaler/TT2 in DAC mode, because I need the analog input to run the TT. While I am waiting for the weekend, I decided to run my Peak Consults (speakers) directly off the TT2. End result is really good, and no problem with not enough volume, I have not turned it past zero on the dial. It will be interesting to see if I prefer the sound through the Nagra, over direct. These speakers were 26-27k new, and weigh 160 pounds each, incredible that the TT2 drives them with ease.
34C3EDF4-77F5-4740-8659-FC3D67127A25.jpeg
0DA62F69-FDD3-4788-8E19-BC150469FDF3.jpeg
2A7932DB-6774-477E-8CBF-E240540871C9.png

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #9,246 of 18,906
I come to this thread daily to read the new posts. I miss my TT2 so much! Chord sure is taking care of the matter, but one thing that made it easier to cope was rediscovering my Mojo. I’ve sold my Hugo 2 so I could afford the TT2 and the Mojo was gathering dust for a while now but wow how amazing it is! I forgot how awesome it sounds for the size and price. I even prefer it over my A&K SP1000.
I've got my TT2 back just a few days ago, missed it badly too. It went to repairs because XLR right channel started misbehaving.
Had to use my old trusted 2Qute instead. It is no TT2 but still amazingly musical and another revelation that this time around I used it with MScaler. While MScaler changes TT2 sound in very subtle way, with 2Qute the change was way more pronaunced, made it sound like another dac all together.

May 25, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #9,247 of 18,906
....look at the official Chord website to find the official seller closest to you. I don't know if in your country they lend such expensive devices for listening in your home.

It's highly unlikely, I bought my TT2 though dealer on east coast.

May 25, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #9,248 of 18,906

I was the same a couple of weeks ago, I started to use my old mojo and poly again and I was surprised at how good mojo sounded.

May 25, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #9,249 of 18,906
I was the same a couple of weeks ago, I started to use my old mojo and poly again and I was surprised at how good mojo sounded.

Agreed, I used to have a Mojo and it was (is) a great sounding dac.

May 25, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #9,250 of 18,906
I’m using my hugo 1 right now and it’s fantastic

May 25, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #9,252 of 18,906
After a good few more hours on my DIY upgraded BNC cables, and power/DC ones for my LPSs - not to mention the Mscaler itself - I feel it's time to reflect on and summarise personal findings and impressions on my particular TT2/HMS setup...especially in the context of recent Dave vs TT2/HMS discussions. The latter is of course fraught with difficulties when conducted 'in house', and so 'outside house' impressions might perhaps just be a bit more objective? :wink: And so, in this light I myself have come to some interesting conclusions...for me at least.

It would appear the comparison is a 'Tale of Two Cities'...Dave (standalone iteration) as DAC or headphone amp. Some opinion here rates TT2/HMS as at least equal, if not better in many respects - as hp amp. And this is echoed by not a few 'independent' users/reviewers. And as usual, much will depend on the rest of the equipment used and its 'synergy'. After close inspection of Dave's sometimes quoted 'better' performance areas, these are precisely those that have, for me, made quite significant gains from use of DIYcable materials and design (covered in depth previously and that admittedly would probably be very expensive if bought commercially), along with my now 2x Linear Power Supplies, again with upgraded cables. And with all power fed by a Balanced Mains/Advanced Filter unit, my own setup is now delivering a sound much improved in all areas... from stock especially. And aided also of course by Naim UnitiCore with upgraded BNC out to m-scaler... plus Empyreans.

But I can't overstate the leap that has come from said cables (using teflon coated OCC solid silver and (separate) copper wires), plus the LPSs... despite the views of Chord and Rob Watts himself (whom I am loathe to contradict lol). But then, every setup is different, and so definitive statements are on shaky ground IMHO!

In conclusion therefore, given the above and the number of people who do rate TT2/HMS at least equal to standalone Dave as hp amp, and who may not have the benefit of similar (BNC...all three) cables and IMO better power supplies, I suspect that my own setup is also in that hallowed territory...but with no A/B comparison, this must be pure conjecture of course. All I can say is that although detailed memory of my hearing Dave at CanJam London a couple of years back is now vague, I did not have quite the same WOW moments I am now enjoying from my own magical combo...with a little help lol :wink:. And I'm quite sure that I am not the only one with equipment of a resolving calibre such as to close that gap!! :relaxed:

May 25, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #9,253 of 18,906
This probably bears repeating:

Linear PSUs will for sure sound worse than the supplied PSU, so if you are running from the mains, the supplied PSU is the best.

What you are likely hearing if using a linear power supply, the same with some cables, is a bit of a dulling of resolution especially in the treble, which you may deem as a more 'euphonic' sound. IMO, you're better off using the built in filter mode 4 instead in that case.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #9,254 of 18,906
This probably bears repeating:

What you are likely hearing if using a linear power supply, the same with some cables, is a bit of a dulling of resolution especially in the treble, which you may deem as a more 'euphonic' sound. IMO, you're better off using the built in filter mode 4 instead in that case.
but the hobby is all about hearing and trusting your hearing. There’s lots of people who understand when a change is a positive change, reporting lps is generally positive.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #9,255 of 18,906
but the hobby is all about hearing and trusting your hearing. There’s lots of people who understand when a change is a positive change, reporting lps is generally positive.

Just realize that the change could likely yield less overall resolution. Sorta like with tube amps, some prefer their sound, despite the added distortion they impart.

Further, a lot of the "reporting lps is generally positive" is likely a lot of confirmation bias (or whatever it's called). IE., spend a lot of money on some new gizmo that's supposed to improve the sound and you will hear improvement in order to get your money's worth out of it, this is usually not even a conscious thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back