Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 13, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #6,451 of 19,009
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding which efficient speakers for TT2 I should buy ? I would like a pair of floor standing tower speakers if possible, but I'm open to other types.Any idea's, and also, what makes an efficient speaker efficient ? what should I look for that would let me know that X speakers are efficient ?

86db (and above of course) would work fine. This is due, as I mentioned in another post, the ears logarithmic response. What kind of money and where you live will really help. In the US the Salk Speaker mentioned would be great, but outside your budget:
:http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Exotica+3

Martin Logan Electromotion speakers would be a more budget oriented choice:
https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/electromotion-esl

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #6,452 of 19,009
Adding an energiser might negatively affect the TT2. The argument concerning unwanted colouration always pops up here. Also have you tried the pm3 with tt2?

Best headphone sound I've ever heard, Canjam London, last month.

Hugo2TT, HMS, Stax 009S, Blue Hawai Amp/Energiser.

Matched first time I ever heard a Linn Naim system 35 years ago.

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #6,453 of 19,009
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding which efficient speakers for TT2 I should buy ?

I would like a pair of floor standing tower speakers if possible, but I'm open to other types.

Any idea's, and also, what makes an efficient speaker efficient ? what should I look for that would let me know that X speakers are efficient ?

Cheers

i can't think of Speakers and TT2 in same sentence without recalling P2Cute! He tried a few, but don't copy his wiring!

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #6,454 of 19,009
Personally, I would add a third option having heard them at Canjam London all demoed through Hugo 2s. A new technology (for Headphones), the Heddphone. About £1700, released in a few months time in Germany. They will make about 50 a month so may be in short supply
Looks interesting!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #6,455 of 19,009
As the topic of driving speakers direct is being discussed, any tips from those who've done/do this as I'd like to try. An XLR to speaker cable should be easy enough to make up, any one had troubles, overheating TT2, damage to unit etc. I certainly don't want to do anything wrong!

Aug 13, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #6,456 of 19,009
As the topic of driving speakers direct is being discussed, any tips from those who've done/do this as I'd like to try. An XLR to speaker cable should be easy enough to make up, any one had troubles, overheating TT2, damage to unit etc. I certainly don't want to do anything wrong!

No problems here with 89db speakers - no overheating etc. But I listen at lowish levels. My dealer, who listens LOUD, did mention it got a little hot.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #6,458 of 19,009
A few mor considerations: most importantly, what are you looking for or trying to achieve? When people start d talking about efficient speakers with Mojo, Hugo2, Dave and now TT2, they were trying to achieve better transparency by being able to remove a separate amplifier from the chain. This led to single driver speakers as a natural choice, because they tend to be efficient and are also inherently more transparent, with no crossovers. But the trade-off is in extension at the extremes, mostly an issue with bass. @ray-dude has some extensive posts on his journey and choices.

I think you could look at Omega, Voxativ and others, but it depends on your budget. More transparency AND full spectrum is going to hurt. I found that I did need a sub with the Omegas because that’s my preference for listening to the type of music I like how I like it, while @bhobba indicated he was fine going down to the low 50s or 40s.

The alternative, if you value full range and concert level volumes a bit more over transparency would be get the best speakers you can afford and find a transparent amp, or wait for Rob’s digital amps. Good luck!

I'm looking at the omegas. I don't have cash for a TToby & speakers, and I don't need an uber loud volume, so the omega's could be the ones. My max would be £2500, maybe a tiny bit more?

Your post has just made things harder, now I have to worry about bass and lack of extension at the extreme's. I thought buying speakers was the easy part :)

I could do the cheapest omega super alnico's, but they look ugly compared to the high output version, which look nice and they would look cool next to my tv, I can see them now.

Alot of things to think about.

Thanks for your advice!

Oh, Rob's dx amps, any word on when they will be available ? Anybody ? I presume they will be cheaper than those huge things that John makes? I would hate to be the dude who has to deliver those bad boys. Things must weigh a ton.

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:27 AM Post #6,459 of 19,009

Lol

I guess you must of missed it.

:)

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #6,460 of 19,009

Whether connecting a headphone adapter or speaker cables to the XLR, take care that only 2 pins on the 3 pin XLR are wired. 1 and 3 for SE or 2 and 3 for balanced. Some adapters apparently wire pins 1 and 2 together, which will damage your TT2. Use a voltmeter (ohm meter/conductance setting) and/or visually inspect your adapter.

After that, just listen! I haven’t had any over heating or even noticed any excessive heat. 75 degree ambient temperature

Aug 13, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #6,461 of 19,009
I'm looking at the omegas. I don't have cash for a TToby & speakers, and I don't need an uber loud volume, so the omega's could be the ones. My max would be £2500, maybe a tiny bit more?

Your post has just made things harder, now I have to worry about bass and lack of extension at the extreme's. I thought buying speakers was the easy part :)

I could do the cheapest omega super alnico's, but they look ugly compared to the high output version, which look nice and they would look cool next to my tv, I can see them now.

Thanks for your advice!

Oh, Rob's dx amps, any word on when they will be available ? Anybody ? I presume they will be cheaper than those huge things that John makes? I would hate to be the dude who has to deliver those bad boys. Things must weigh a ton.

I have the SAMs but the HO May work for you. If you do need more bass, there are some subs that won’t break the bank, like the Elac model I purchased. You may not need it for quieter listening depending on material. I think the DX amps are probably a bit off.

Edit: forgot to mention that I think the top end extension it fine, to these 50ish ears.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #6,462 of 19,009
Read good things about this speaker. Did anybody try it with tt2 ? It is said to be very smooth sounding for horn loaded tweeter. https://www.klipsch.com/products/rp-600m-bookshelf-speaker

I'm using these direct via XLR from TT2 and they sound great, I bought them as a cheapish way to see how well it drives speakers in the hope of moving on to some Omega SAM/CAM +sub but am so happy with the sound of these Klipsch that I am sticking with them for now. They are efficient speakers and get very loud by the time the volume is at -10 so I mostly listen between -25 and -15. TT2 gets warm but never hot.

I did have an incident where I was getting a warning saying that one of the balanced outputs was overheating and was worried, but it turned out I had changed the gain to Low to listen to IEMs and forgot to put it back to high. Never had a problem since and in fact keep it in high gain for all listening, whether using my LCD-4's, IEMs (Laylas + JH13s) or speakers.

Aug 13, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #6,463 of 19,009
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding which efficient speakers for TT2 I should buy ?
I would like a pair of floor standing tower speakers if possible, but I'm open to other types.
Any idea's, and also, what makes an efficient speaker efficient ? what should I look for that would let me know that X speakers are efficient ?
Cheers

The specification for a speaker that lets you know if it is efficient is its sensitivity usually expressed as xx dB for 1 watt at 1m. The higher the figure the more efficient are the speakers. My medium efficiency Spendors are 89dB.

Unfortunately that is not the only figure you need to look at because some types of efficient speakers fall very much into the 'girl with a banjo' category of music that they are suitable to reproduce. To reproduce low notes at an adequate volume speakers need to shift a lot of air and many of the more efficient speakers cannot do this. You should look at the stated frequency range of the speakers but don't just look at the limits of the frequency range for the speakers because these are more or less meaningless without additional information for the +/- tolerancies at those frequencies.

Thanks for your advice!

Well, if you have that sort of budget then some very nice second hand speakers come into your range. For instance for much less than your quoted budget you could get a nice pair of english Living Voice Avatar 2 speakers. I ran a pair of these for many years with 15w valve amps.

The single driver speakers such as Omega Super Alnicos are not everyones cup of tea and you really need to get to hear a variety of different sorts of speakers with your TT2 before parting with your cash. It might even be that you will come to same conclusion as me that you would rather have a power amp in the system to drive the speakers. Your budget will buy you a very nice amplifier and speakers.

The world of speakers is a whole new world of listening and unfortunately you need to get to a friendly hifi dealer with your TT2 to let you try a whole load before even deciding whether to go single driver or multi driver direct from TT2 or whether you can sacrifice a small amount of transparency and use an amplifier to drive the speakers if it turns out you prefer that sort of sound. I tried the TT2 direct into 98dB and 94dB speakers and it was not for me. Also, I prefer not having to have a sub in my system.

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #6,464 of 19,009
I am using TT 2 XLR out into benchmark ahb2 XLR in. Both tt2 and ahb2 in low gain mode. With KEF r300 8ohm i rarely need to go beyond -11L and that too with very low output files. Rca out of tt2 is fed into monitor audio rsw12 sub. So far extremely transparent and dynamic sound. Ahb2 is a low gain amp. Even at high gain setting it requires full 2v input to reach 100w rms so it gives the impression of being under powered as not many pre are rated for full 2v output so the volume dial on pre maxes out well before 100w rms. So some people go for dual ahb2 configuration which is actually not required, if tt2 is directly fed to ahb2 in mid or high gain mode as tt2 has well over 2v output. Imho ahb2 is one of the biggest hi fi bargain it is so good and versatile.

Aug 13, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #6,465 of 19,009
Whether connecting a headphone adapter or speaker cables to the XLR, take care that only 2 pins on the 3 pin XLR are wired. 1 and 3 for SE or 2 and 3 for balanced. Some adapters apparently wire pins 1 and 2 together, which will damage your TT2.
I had this problem, with an incompatible XLR adapter. On switching on, the relays seemed to go crazy, and TT2 made a horrible clicking sound from its internals, accompanied by a horrible shrilling from the speakers. Plus it was ‘stuck’ at 88.2.
However, I just powered it down, left it to reset for ten minutes, and everything was then OK without using the XLR adapter.
I don’t think that it damages the unit, and it just ‘resets’ after a while, but maybe others have some insight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back