Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 12, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #6,421 of 19,009
I think it’s math (or maths across the pond) that if you are running true balanced vs SE, you have 4x the power (2x the voltage), which is 6dB. Since we are looking at the same circuit in two configurations in the same unit, I think this applies, but Rob could confirm.

Yes, correct. I’m still curious what the output level is at your listening level. It’s a curiosity, that’s all.

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #6,422 of 19,009
RK which headphones do you use with tt2/hms? have you tried dt880 600? I'm currently using pm1 with h2/hms can you describe in real terms the improvements i will get going from h2/hms to tt2/hms in your opinion. the more perspectives i get the better.

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #6,424 of 19,009
Sure. I can take a dB reading from an app from speakers or headphones (as best I can) or try a voltmeter reading off the XLR and SE taps. Which were you thinking?

Both would be cool!

:beerchug:

Aug 12, 2019 at 1:27 AM Post #6,425 of 19,009
Any members using TT2 with MDR-Z1R?
Tempted... lol

I do use them, and I can confirm there is a beautiful friendship between them, resulting in beauty & joy.

(Actually I didn't like the Sony MDR-Z1Rs back then when I only had the Mojo but it's a very different story with the M Scaler + TT2. Suddenly they started to sound amazing! I was ready to replace the Sonys with a pair of Focal Stellia but I dropped this plan as soon as heard the new system. This shows how important the source is. Many people ignore the source and expect everything from headphones.)

Aug 12, 2019 at 1:28 AM Post #6,426 of 19,009
I can say, at about 3 meters away, my 89db speakers are more than loud enough - even for my mad dealer that listens LOUD. A tech I know set it up balanced using some simple zip wire and Rob Watts has said that is about 18w. Its important to remember the ears logarithmic response ie 10 times the power (which by definition is 10 DB) only sounds twice as loud. Now my normal amps produce 500w at 2v. My usual DAC, the direct stream, has a digital volume control 0-100 in .5 db increments. I have it set so that on 100 it produces about 2v (actually slightly more I think). I find I normally listen at about 40 but for home theatre where they have voices at a lower level so explosions etc have greater impact it can go to 60. So at 100 it produces 500w, at 80 it produces 50w, at 60 it produces 5w and at my normal music listening levels a massive - wait for it - .5w. I think for any reasonable speaker the 18w from direct connecting the TT2 is fine. It likely will have trouble with some seas magnesium speakers I am having built which is only 84 DB on home theatre, but that's all I can think of that has issues.

That said I am getting a special speaker built for the TT2, using the Seas Exotic drivers that will be about 92 db or so - they will be similar to:
http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Exotica Monitors

It will however be floor standing to get as much bass as possible - the speaker designer building it thinks he can get it down to the low 40's - he has a port alignment of his own that's to me sounds more like a transmission line than ported bass.

Don't ask why I spend so much money on speakers, DAC's, amps etc - I am mad - but retired so I can indulge it. However with he the TT2 and the Seas Exotic speakers hopefully its coming to an end.

Thanks
Bill

Aug 12, 2019 at 9:06 AM Post #6,427 of 19,009
Adding an energiser might negatively affect the TT2.

This is interesting. I was initially going to get the Woo WEE which doesn't have any tubes in it. Looks just like transformers. There are articles out there that speak to "neutral" tubes. If I were to upgrade to an energizer that has tubes it would be one that uses the 300B since Western Electric is making tubes again.

I am still trying to figure out how to "test" coloration. HOw much is the energizer and how much is the headphones themselves and so on...

The argument concerning unwanted colouration always pops up here. Also have you tried the pm3 with tt2?

Actually no, but guess what I'll be doing tonight. :ksc75smile:

Aug 12, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #6,428 of 19,009
Great advice and thanks to all. The attraction with the sony z1r is it's wider soundstage which would nicely compliment my PM1. This adds to the quandary.

If I recall correct, the soundstage on the TT2 is more expansive that on the Hugo2. I can't really remember if I had everything set up right though. I might have had some X-PHD on.

I noticed it on my amp and speakers, when I first got TT2. X-PHD might have already been on, but I can't recall. All I remember is the positioning of some bass notes further forward and wider, on TT2.

I would probably have turned off X-PHD settings, and filters in the settings, when I got TT2 going. I remember noticing that manual said have it on low gain when you first connect. That would have been my priority. I don't remember what I did in April about the other settings, when I set it up first time.

You auditioned the TT2 though, so you might have seen whether the TT2 soundstage is larger. Although it may be more perceptive on amp and speakers.

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #6,429 of 19,009
Which system north of 4k is so good? the idea of doing something risque but very exotic such as sony's 1.7k new iem does turn me on though. with an mscaled h2 it could be another dimension.

Go find a system with similar capabilities to 2go, and which has a better dac than Hugo 2.

To get a better dac than Hugo 2, it's TT2 at 4k, but that doesn't have any networking or storage abilities. Thats £4000 before we even begin. 2go has an ethernet port, wifi, usb storage port, sd card ports for your entire library and also Tidal & Qobuz intergration and is also a roon endpoint. All that comes with Hugo 2's dac and a 768khz mscaling coax port.

Hence, to get a better system than H2 & 2go, you're looking at atleast 4k+. Sure you can get naim streamers for a couple of grand, but I doubt they have a better dac or as much networking capabilities as 2go.

I wanted 2go more than my TT2 and MScaler. But I had to sell my Hugo 2 and I'm annoyed that I will never get to experience Hugo 2 with 2go, but schit happens.

Since you seem happy to stick with Hugo 2, the best upgrade that you could do next that wouldn't have you heading down to the pawn shop or to the brew for a crisis loan would be to buy 2go.

Roughly around the £1000 mark, + - £500.

Seriously dude, it's going to be big.

Also, don't think of it as a big poly, poly had teething problems due to a rushed release, but those problems are now gone and 2go's release will be nothing like poly's. Also, Poly works really good now, even on android.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #6,430 of 19,009
2go has an ethernet port, wifi, usb storage port, sd card ports for your entire library and also Tidal & Qobuz intergration and is also a roon endpoint. All that comes with Hugo 2's dac and a 768khz mscaling coax port. Seriously dude, it's going to be big.
Deep Throat forgot to tell you about all the additional special functionality, or the 50 button metal remote, which some posters always request. :grinning:

Aug 12, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #6,432 of 19,009
Hello all, I’m having a little problem with my tt2 which appears to be slowly getting worse. It has been mentioned by another here some weeks ago, who was not too worried (like me) as it seemed to happened infrequently.

After giving Zenith Mk3 and TT2 a few minutes after switching on I select to play an album and the sound is screechy and tinny, the window is showing blue or green but I’m playing red book. In the past I have selected another album and that has then played ok, window showing red, as has the the original album when I’ve gone back to it. This evening though I’ve had to select two different albums before TT2 would auto detect red book.

I do have some higher Rez albums with Tidal so this may just manifest itself after shutting down having listened to one them. I’m certain it’s never happened the other way round whereby TT2 has failed to auto detect high Rez after playing red book. I connect via USB.

Anyone else come across this?

Aug 12, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #6,433 of 19,009
Hello all, I’m having a little problem with my tt2 which appears to be slowly getting worse. It has been mentioned by another here some weeks ago, who was not too worried (like me) as it seemed to happened infrequently.

After giving Zenith Mk3 and TT2 a few minutes after switching on I select to play an album and the sound is screechy and tinny, the window is showing blue or green but I’m playing red book. In the past I have selected another album and that has then played ok, window showing red, as has the the original album when I’ve gone back to it. This evening though I’ve had to select two different albums before TT2 would auto detect red book.

I do have some higher Rez albums with Tidal so this may just manifest itself after shutting down having listened to one them. I’m certain it’s never happened the other way round whereby TT2 has failed to auto detect high Rez after playing red book. I connect via USB.

Anyone else come across this?

I am using a Zen mk III and have never had this problem. I use Roon and the Zen in combined Roon core and player mode. Sometimes the Roon search is a bit slow, and the skip buttons don't work, but I have never had any sq problems. Are you shutting down your zenith after every listening session? I leave mine running 24/7, but shut down TT2 after each use.

Aug 12, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #6,434 of 19,009
That said I am getting a special speaker built for the TT2, using the Seas Exotic drivers that will be about 92 db or so - they will be similar to:
http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Exotica Monitors
Thanks for the info on the Salk speakers, I live in Windsor Ontario, so about an hour away from their shop. I might take a trip over there one day to have a listen to their speakers. Do you know if they have a showroom/demo room in Pontiac?

Aug 12, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #6,435 of 19,009
Both would be cool!

:beerchug:

Ok, so I didn’t break out the voltmeter, but I think that’s best done with a test tone and everyone should get the same results at a given volume setting, so chalk not doing it up to laziness, and a bit of not wanting to stick a probe in the wrong place and cause damage!

But I did do several tests. I used Tears in Heaven from Eric Clapton MTV Unplugged, mostly the middle section, so anyone can replicate as that’s a pretty common track. The speakers are set up for near field listening and are about one meter away. I also have a sub fed by the TT2’s RCAs. I tried to get the headphone pad around the iPad mic and seal it as best I could, and used the Decibel X app for measurements. All settings are High Gain. Edit: also, x-PhD 0 and filter 1 on all outputs,
  1. Omega SAM speakers from XLRs at -6 read 71-82dB.
  2. Focal Elex at -22 from front HP out was 68-79dB.
  3. HE-6 from XLR at -9 was 70-79dB.
  4. HE-6 from font HP at -3 was 71-79 dB.
The levels were about the loudest I would normally listen, but usually it’s quieter overall. I tried to match the levels so each setup was roughly equivalent. One more note: I did again notice a preference for the fuller sounding, more engaging XLR presentation from the HE-6. In any config, TT2 rocks!

Hope that helps. YMMV.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back