Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 26, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #5,626 of 18,905
May 26, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #5,629 of 18,905
Burned smell (especially from new electronics) does not necessary means that something bad happened. Sometimes boards have flux leftovers or a board coating might give smell when heated. In this case smell will disappear after some time.

Anyway, it would be nice to hear @Rob Watts comments on the subject.
Now that the smell disappeared, I really don't know what to do. Tt2 is working from the front output but I don't want to plug anything on the XLR back. Not sure if it needs service or not. In any case as Ragnar-BY mentioned, I was expecting some kind of electric protection on such a high end device

May 26, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #5,630 of 18,905
Now that the smell disappeared, I really don't know what to do. Tt2 is working from the front output but I don't want to plug anything on the XLR back. Not sure if it needs service or not. In any case as Ragnar-BY mentioned, I was expecting some kind of electric protection on such a high end device

Contact your retailer and tell them what you know. (That's why I was trying to find the pictures that ZappMan found, so you had something to go with.)

At the moment, it is speculation what caused the smell of burnt out electronics on your TT2. However you don't want to open your unit, because then you will lose your warranty. (If Chord put some sort of case tampering/opening on it anyway.)

All said, your TT2 should not smell of burnt components. Whatever that cause, you probably should contact you retailer. With what you know now, you can give your retailer something to go on.

The thermal trips that Ragnar-By was talking about, are to stop the unit getting over-hot. Whereas the SMD resistors mentioned by KHADIS, more likely failed because of load current. Or some other electrical quantity. Both going at once is unusual. We could expect a single part to fail, just due to failure rate. Two suggests error on either manufacturing, or owner.

Anyway, whatever, what do I know? Up to you to make the next step.

Last edited:
May 26, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #5,631 of 18,905

When this smell was happening, did you feel the TT2 for temperature?

Did it feel hot?

Did you get any display indicating over temperature? for instance 'OT L' indicates over temperature left etc.

If the TT2 gets too hot it does have an auto shutdown feature and presumably it wasn't too hot to activate that?

And finally, I assume that you are confident that the wiring of the two XLR plugs that you are plugging into the back of the TT2 is compatible with the pin 1 ground, pin 2 hot and pin 3 cold convention used for the TT2 XLR outputs?

I suggest that you telephone your dealer and discuss any concerns you might have with them. That is almost certainly the best way to proceed.

May 26, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #5,632 of 18,905
Did your TT2 display any of these alerts described in the user manual?

May 26, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #5,633 of 18,905
Did your TT2 display any of these alerts described in the user manual?
I didn't get any temperature warnings. Also, the unit was not very warm. Apparently something was wrong with the outputs / cable. What worries me is that I did nothing risky or different from what others are doing from the reports I've read in this thread. Maybe better option is really talk to the retailer.

May 26, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #5,634 of 18,905
The XLR outputs can be quite dangerous because if wired incorrectly, you're attaching single-ended to balanced outs = instant fried TT2!

May 26, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #5,637 of 18,905
Hi,
maybe chord should increase the termination value of the xlr output . So that these resistors don't blow up.
Khadis, how did you solve your problem?

May 26, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #5,638 of 18,905
During normal use in a stacking configuration, both TT2 and MScaler do not get hotter than 35oC.

It's actually lower than 35oC by about 2 - 3oC.

I have measured both of mine and my IR temp gun found mscaler to be 33oC and lower and TT2 to be 32oC and lower depending on where the temp was taken from.

I have no idea how hot they would get when using the xlr ports for driving speakers or anything else.

May 27, 2019 at 4:18 AM Post #5,639 of 18,905
This might help. Check out top left in this picture a resistor looks cracked. Just realised i was beaten to it.....

Well I found the issue for the smell of the HUGO TT2

two smd restistors are busted.

Last edited:
May 27, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #5,640 of 18,905
I’m so tempted to switch from my qutest + HDV820 to TT2, but what’s holding me now is the satisfaction I have with the current setup, especially the output versatility of the HDV820. Finding ways to keep the itchiness away

Users who are viewing this thread

Back