Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 20, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #5,596 of 18,905
AudioGD specifically say that i need a balanced DAC to get the best out of the master 9 , that's why i was looking at the tt2
problem is that balanced gear is not my specialty ,, i bought the Formula S because it was SE , but now i am entering the Balanced world so there is a learning curve for me .
i like the chord DAC's , sound wise and quality wise , so if you have any suggestions , that would be really appreciated ,, Thanks.

I used to own an R2R AGD single ended DAC19, with the PCM1704 chip and I thought it sounded great and wanted to step up to the Master 7, or Master11 all-in-one. Then I heard the Chord DACs and lost all interest in AGD. I’ve read that the Master 9 is indeed warm but haven’t heard it myself.

I do have the Cavalli Liquid Gold which is a fully differential balanced amp and I can’t tell a difference from a balanced or a SE input from the same source (not even Cord), when I volume matched between sources. The volume matching is crucial as a balanced design will typically have double the output Voltage and therefore will be louder. Doing it by ear isn’t good enough because even with 0.5-1dB difference we humans will always prefer the slightly louder version (it’s simply how we are wired). It all depends on how well the DAC output is implemented so my listening tests may not be equal for someone else’s gear when comparing SE vs balanced.

Now, I’ve been running with the DAVE for a while and prefer listening to headphones directly out of the DAVE. Once in a while, maybe once every couple of months, I will use the Liquid Gold simply because I like the tuning which is warm, inviting, almost tube-like, but I also find the very subtle nuance from plugging directly in to the DAVE is lost when using the Liquid Gold. I don’t feel any need to feed the Liquid Gold with a balanced DAC as the DAVE has a tremendous SE implementation and the Liquid Gold still sounds great with it.

Remember, it’s all about implementation, not just balanced vs SE. If Audio-GD can’t implement as good a SE as balanced then they will recommend balanced, which can fix issues over SE if the SE is designed poorly. IMO, and measurably, Chord DACs have a very good SE implementation.

Also, consider that the TT2 has a very unique output stage based on Rob’s Power Pulse Array topology with A LOT of Voltage and Current output... I see absolutely no point in spending the money on a TT2 and not taking full advantage of it. Of course it’s up to individual tastes but that’s my opinion.

May 20, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #5,597 of 18,905
it will be an interesting test to try the Beyers in a few days, and discover if I still prefer them to the Aeons.

Looking forward to your thoughts as this aspect is always intriguing and interesting to read for me.

May 21, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #5,598 of 18,905
I'm finally a TT-2 owner after many months of drooling over it and reading every bit of information that has been posted on it.

I haven't had enough listening time with the TT-2 to give any real impressions, but I had an interesting occurrence last night.

I was listening to one of the pre-made jazz playlists that Tidal has and came across a particular track that was a live performance in some sort of jazz club. During the performance you can hear someone in the kitchen or bar area of the jazz club drop a dish which made a huge clang/crashing noise.... I thought that someone in my own real life house had dropped something in the kitchen. So I sprung up out of my chair and ran over to the kitchen only to find it vacant, with no dropped dishes. Then a few moments later I realized that the dish dropping was in the song and chuckled to myself.

Now that's a real testament to the sound quality the TT-2 can produce!

May 21, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #5,599 of 18,905
I used to own an R2R AGD single ended DAC19, with the PCM1704 chip and I thought it sounded great and wanted to step up to the Master 7, or Master11 all-in-one. Then I heard the Chord DACs and lost all interest in AGD. I’ve read that the Master 9 is indeed warm but haven’t heard it myself.

I do have the Cavalli Liquid Gold which is a fully differential balanced amp and I can’t tell a difference from a balanced or a SE input from the same source (not even Cord), when I volume matched between sources. The volume matching is crucial as a balanced design will typically have double the output Voltage and therefore will be louder. Doing it by ear isn’t good enough because even with 0.5-1dB difference we humans will always prefer the slightly louder version (it’s simply how we are wired). It all depends on how well the DAC output is implemented so my listening tests may not be equal for someone else’s gear when comparing SE vs balanced.

Now, I’ve been running with the DAVE for a while and prefer listening to headphones directly out of the DAVE. Once in a while, maybe once every couple of months, I will use the Liquid Gold simply because I like the tuning which is warm, inviting, almost tube-like, but I also find the very subtle nuance from plugging directly in to the DAVE is lost when using the Liquid Gold. I don’t feel any need to feed the Liquid Gold with a balanced DAC as the DAVE has a tremendous SE implementation and the Liquid Gold still sounds great with it.

Remember, it’s all about implementation, not just balanced vs SE. If Audio-GD can’t implement as good a SE as balanced then they will recommend balanced, which can fix issues over SE if the SE is designed poorly. IMO, and measurably, Chord DACs have a very good SE implementation.

Also, consider that the TT2 has a very unique output stage based on Rob’s Power Pulse Array topology with A LOT of Voltage and Current output... I see absolutely no point in spending the money on a TT2 and not taking full advantage of it. Of course it’s up to individual tastes but that’s my opinion.

i totally agree with you , implementation is the most important thing , and that's why i chose the Formula S as my main Amp last few months to complement my Hugo 2 , but still i like AudioGD sound signature so much that the day came to look for a balanced DAC to utilize the best of my new M9 which i am expecting within few days, hopefully my Hugo 2 will work fine but the itch to explore its full potential will remain :)

May 21, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #5,600 of 18,905
Completed my first cable to use my AK SR15 as source for my TT2. I will be using an old cellphone for testing. Device charge is working fine but my OTG wiring is faulty. I used a 100k resistor but cable not recognized. Used my meter and there are no shorts, except the USB on4-5 with resistor...
20190521_214734.jpg

Once I have clean data transmission I plan to make a new cable and test with audio files from phone. If I can get cable to perform well planning to take TT2 on our trip to the UK.

Data test will initially be phone to PC.

May 21, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #5,601 of 18,905
Completed my first cable to use my AK SR15 as source for my TT2. I will be using an old cellphone for testing. Device charge is working fine but my OTG wiring is faulty. I used a 100k resistor but cable not recognized. Used my meter and there are no shorts, except the USB on4-5 with resistor...

Once I have clean data transmission I plan to make a new cable and test with audio files from phone. If I can get cable to perform well planning to take TT2 on our trip to the UK.

I highly recommending COAX over USB ,, i am getting really good result with my Hugo2

May 23, 2019 at 11:08 AM Post #5,604 of 18,905

Have you thought about using optical? I am getting good results up to 24/192 using iPhone => usb to optical converter => Hugo2.

May 23, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #5,605 of 18,905
Curious to know if anyone is using an external amp with the TT2 to drive the Abyss. I wonder if what I hear directly out of the TT2 is almost everything that I can extract from the Abyss

May 23, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #5,606 of 18,905
May 23, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #5,607 of 18,905
Finally, I got my TT2 with M Scaler. It turned to be a huge step up from my previous setup (Qutest and Violectric V200).

Headphones sound is unbelievably good. I`m looking forward to try it with some sensitive speakers. Can anybody help with wiring diagram to make a cable for plugging speakers in balanced output?

May 23, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #5,608 of 18,905
Finally, I got my TT2 with M Scaler. It turned to be a huge step up from my previous setup (Qutest and Violectric V200).

Headphones sound is unbelievably good. I`m looking forward to try it with some sensitive speakers. Can anybody help with wiring diagram to make a cable for plugging speakers in balanced output?

Enjoy it man!

May 24, 2019 at 4:28 AM Post #5,609 of 18,905
Congrats on the delivery!
Very curious when mine will be delivered.
The shop doesnt respond to my mail or calls so feeling a bit shaky that i get fooled.

To reduce the pain I bought an ATC P1 amp to match my ATC SCM19, great combo. Even with the Mojo, nice little giant it is!

May 24, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #5,610 of 18,905

What headphones are you using and what speakers are you thinking about getting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back