Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 5, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #4,336 of 18,905
How do you find the sound with the LCD 4z and the Hugo TT2? I just got my LCD 4Z ma dam driving them with the sp1000 it sounds great but I am looking for endgame with my setup. I am looking at the TT2, Pro Idsd, and yggdrasil as options. Any help here is much appreciated.

It's amazing and I'm doubtful the 4z could sound any better at all. That said, I think the TT2 really can drive ANY headphones optimally except electrostats which require a whole different voltage scheme. What an amazing device the TT2 is.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #4,337 of 18,905
Has anybody used the TT2 with an HD800S? Does the TT2 fill out the sound and low end more compared to the ultra clean H2/HD800S combination, enjoyable as it is. Thinking of going TT2, but would a headphone change result in better bang for buck to get a fuller sound?
The difference between. Hugo 2 and tt2 is very large. It really feels like a dac plus headphone upgrade. It seemed obvious afterwards that hugo2 couldn’t really do what the Hd800s needed.
My Hd800s are now very happy.
It has plenty of bass, drum kits are amazing, as are cymbals, as are vocals.
Can recommend. I was thinking of upgrading my Hd800s when I had hugo 2, but am happy enough now.

Feb 5, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #4,338 of 18,905
The difference between. Hugo 2 and tt2 is very large. It really feels like a dac plus headphone upgrade. It seemed obvious afterwards that hugo2 couldn’t really do what the Hd800s needed.
My Hd800s are now very happy.
It has plenty of bass, drum kits are amazing, as are cymbals, as are vocals.
Can recommend. I was thinking of upgrading my Hd800s when I had hugo 2, but am happy enough now.

So is the price lol

Feb 5, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #4,339 of 18,905
Has anybody used the TT2 with an HD800S? Does the TT2 fill out the sound and low end more compared to the ultra clean H2/HD800S combination, enjoyable as it is. Thinking of going TT2, but would a headphone change result in better bang for buck to get a fuller sound?

Headphones (the transducer) always make the biggest change. If you want a fuller, warmer, more bassy sound, the HTT2 is not going to do this for you with your HD800S. I own the HTT2, and can highly recommend you check out headphones first :)

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #4,341 of 18,905
Feb 6, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #4,342 of 18,905
Headphones (the transducer) always make the biggest change. If you want a fuller, warmer, more bassy sound, the HTT2 is not going to do this for you with your HD800S. I own the HTT2, and can highly recommend you check out headphones first :)

I have TT2 and HD800S, and the upgrade from Hugo 2 to TT2 was very noticeable for it’s warm sound, dare I say it also had decent bass.

Not huge bass like some other headphones, but enough to make me happy.

Thats just my experience with them.

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #4,343 of 18,905
Ok girlfriend, just back up.
Do you have Hd800s?
I can say 1 million percent they sound fuller - big fuller - so full - these phones sound very different.
Big rob says they sound warmer, so tick.
The bass is much more enjoyable - with a very nice presentation. I coined the term - multidimensional bass, that’s right.
So, I’m right and your wrong, and amberlamps thinks so too.
Jk.

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #4,344 of 18,905
Ok girlfriend, just back up.
Do you have Hd800s?
I can say 1 million percent they sound fuller - big fuller - so full - these phones sound very different.
Big rob says they sound warmer, so tick.
The bass is much more enjoyable - with a very nice presentation. I coined the term - multidimensional bass, that’s right.
So, I’m right and your wrong, and amberlamps thinks so too.
Jk.

Lol, that was funny. :)

But I do have to agree with Zappaman on some parts of his post, as TT2 + HMS has made a huge difference to the HD800S compared to using the HD800S on Hugo 2.

Zappaman thinks so too. If he is right, then it looks like I’m left.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #4,345 of 18,905

I have TT2 with the hd800s and think the combination is pretty unbeatable (HMS is something I will look at in the future) but I did hanker for a hp with more bass, as I do like EDM. I haven’t had to spend megabucks and have ended up with the aluminium version of the LCD 2, and although you don’t notice the the bass heft immediately, you certainly miss it when you return to the hd800s. I have 3 pairs of hp now as I also have the stax 007 with the kgsshv amp. I’m very happy with my system!

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #4,346 of 18,905
Can anyone confirm if this behavior is normal? When the display is activated (like changing volume), my TT2 emits a high pitch tonal noise. (From the TT2 itself, not through the headphones)
It stops as soon as the display goes dark.
If I turn DIM mode on (low light), the noise is made briefly (and quieter) and only while the sample rate is shown, and again goes when the display darkens.

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #4,347 of 18,905
Can anyone confirm if this behavior is normal? When the display is activated (like changing volume), my TT2 emits a high pitch tonal noise. (From the TT2 itself, not through the headphones)
If I turn DIM mode on (low light), the noise is made briefly (and quieter) and only while the sample rate is shown, and again goes when the display darkens.
Not here.
Hugh

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #4,348 of 18,905

Yes! I was using my TT2 in a near-field bedroom setup, and I found it rather annoying. I returned this unit for a refund (I’m sure it was either an ex. display or ex. show unit from the internal packing & a couple scuffs to the corners of the TT2), and have ordered another from a different supplier. Hoping this one is whistle free as I found it very noticeable indeed. Not something I was expecting from a £4K DAC I must say. It was also only on certain letters in the display, unfortunately I cannot remember which. I seem to recall a user mentioning that here regarding the original TT display too (I think they use the same display unit module?).

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #4,349 of 18,905
My HTT2 emitted this strange noise as well! I don't know what is it, but it stops when the display goes off. Really weird.

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:13 AM Post #4,350 of 18,905
Thanks guys. I guess it's the luck of the draw? I noticed my TT2 didn't come with the protective plastic on the screen, and the screen wasn't unblemished either. But everything else about it looked factory new. Sealed in its bag, protective plastic on the bluetooth part.

I can't go through the trauma of not having a TT2 for an extended period... waiting was tough enough. The noise is unnoticeable when the display is dimmed, especially with music playing. So ultimately I can live with it.
Cheers :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back