Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 6, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #4,351 of 18,906
I wish there was a way to turn the display off as a firmware update option perhaps, as every-time I use the remote it came on and I'd get that whistle. In a lounge I doubt perhaps I'd hear it, but near-field in my bedroom it was surprisingly audible. In all other respects a superb class-leading DAC in every respect, but that whistle really frustrated me - something to do with the pitch.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #4,352 of 18,906
Ok girlfriend, just back up.
Do you have Hd800s?
I can say 1 million percent they sound fuller - big fuller - so full - these phones sound very different.
Big rob says they sound warmer, so tick.
The bass is much more enjoyable - with a very nice presentation. I coined the term - multidimensional bass, that’s right.
So, I’m right and your wrong, and amberlamps thinks so too.
Jk.

I do not have the HD800S, just the original HD800. I always assumed that the weak bass was as a result of lack of power from the Hugo 2 so when I was in my US home for the last six weeks I left my Stax gear in the UK and took my TT2, M Scaler and HD800. I plugged in the headphones and started listening to track after track and could not believe how weak the bass was. It was if it had been electronically filtered out. The treble was not pleasant in all regards, the sung S sounds had a sibilance that was hard to live with, although the high frequency percussion was really well differentiated. Honestly, if I had bought a system of the HD800, HMS, TT2 and heard this I would send them back and try something else.

After seeing these strong statements I decided to do some more testing today. Now I was testing the Stax 007 Mk2 with KGSSHV Carbon drive unit against the HD800, Hugo2 and the TT2/HMS. I did not really detect more bass on the TT2/HMS than with the Hugo2, I was shocked but I consistently found this. Whatever causes the weak bass on my HD800 did not seem to be a lack of power. Perhaps the HD800S has been engineered with better bass but here was a set of headphones I really enjoyed in the past being revisited after more than a year and I could not listen to them.

I would hate for someone to go out and buy a TT2 to cure an HD800S and be disappointed. Clearly we all hear things differently and I would urge someone contemplating this arrangement to hear it first. I was listening at -5H on the TT2, red book, no filter on the HMS. I really wanted this to work for me but they are not for me.

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #4,353 of 18,906
I wish there was a way to turn the display off as a firmware update option perhaps, as every-time I use the remote it came on and I'd get that whistle. In a lounge I doubt perhaps I'd hear it, but near-field in my bedroom it was surprisingly audible. In all other respects a superb class-leading DAC in every respect, but that whistle really frustrated me - something to do with the pitch.
Is it as bad if you turn the brightness down

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #4,354 of 18,906
I do not have the HD800S, just the original HD800. I always assumed that the weak bass was as a result of lack of power from the Hugo 2 so when I was in my US home for the last six weeks I left my Stax gear in the UK and took my TT2, M Scaler and HD800. I plugged in the headphones and started listening to track after track and could not believe how weak the bass was. It was if it had been electronically filtered out. The treble was not pleasant in all regards, the sung S sounds had a sibilance that was hard to live with, although the high frequency percussion was really well differentiated. Honestly, if I had bought a system of the HD800, HMS, TT2 and heard this I would send them back and try something else.

After seeing these strong statements I decided to do some more testing today. Now I was testing the Stax 007 Mk2 with KGSSHV Carbon drive unit against the HD800, Hugo2 and the TT2/HMS. I did not really detect more bass on the TT2/HMS than with the Hugo2, I was shocked but I consistently found this. Whatever causes the weak bass on my HD800 did not seem to be a lack of power. Perhaps the HD800S has been engineered with better bass but here was a set of headphones I really enjoyed in the past being revisited after more than a year and I could not listen to them.

I would hate for someone to go out and buy a TT2 to cure an HD800S and be disappointed. Clearly we all hear things differently and I would urge someone contemplating this arrangement to hear it first. I was listening at -5H on the TT2, red book, no filter on the HMS. I really wanted this to work for me but they are not for me.
I was trying to say, fuller and warmer ya, and some bass improvements, more impressive bass I would say, rather than more bass. But I think that’s brcause the dac is a lot better then hugo2
But his other two criteria were met.
I also dont want anymore to make a mis-purchase.mylimitayion is that I only have ever had Hd800s so I can’t compare.

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #4,357 of 18,906
The hugo 2 is an exemplary dac. The tt2 further pushes the boundaries that the h2 reaches in many but not all directions and the proof is in the tt2 recorded measurements and a warmer more transparent sound. Not just my opinion but h2/hms with 1M taps 740 dsp cores easily outperforms a solo tt2 with just 86 dsp cores 98k taps. Add a hms to tt2 and we reach another level outperforming all what came before. It's not rocket science it's a WTA algorithm.:thinking:

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 10:03 AM Post #4,358 of 18,906
The hugo 2 is an exemplary dac. The tt2 further pushes the boundaries that the h2 reaches in many but not all directions and the proof is in the tt2 recorded measurements and a warmer more transparent sound. Not just my opinion but h2/hms with 1M taps 740 dsp cores easily outperforms a solo tt2 with just 86 dsp cores 98k taps. Add a hms to tt2 and we reach another level outperforming all what came before. It's not rocket science it's a WTA algorithm.:thinking:
But what does ‘outperform’ mean. These are not cars, for example, that can competitively race each other and a winner found.
It’s just what ever one you like for whatever reason you like it :)

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #4,359 of 18,906
Outperform in relation to dacs means musical qualities that are more important. timbre, instrument separation, timing, pace and rhythm, transient accuracy. these are the defining characteristics and this is why we pay more to gain a noticeable increase in these factors which ultimately equate to greater enjoyment and emotional attachment to the music. outperform, outperform, outperform......................:oncoming_automobile::checkered_flag:

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #4,360 of 18,906
Pass the corn. Try and fight tap lengths on chord threads, Ill meet your pulse array with double in mine. lol However id bet we don't live by taps and pulse arrays alone but what do i know, I'm 13th from the pinnacle with DX and TT, lol

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:17 AM Post #4,361 of 18,906
And then came the Brazilian in New York...Chord...

Everything seems to be within topic....good.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #4,362 of 18,906
Outperform in relation to dacs means musical qualities that are more important. timbre, instrument separation, timing, pace and rhythm, transient accuracy. these are the defining characteristics and this is why we pay more to gain a noticeable increase in these factors which ultimately equate to greater enjoyment and emotional attachment to the music. outperform, outperform, outperform......................:oncoming_automobile::checkered_flag:
If it is not too much trouble would you mind giving examples of particular recordings which you have listened to where H2/HMS outperforms TT2 as regards the above parameters? Thanks

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #4,363 of 18,906
SFW40483.jpg
acoustic live guitar recorded 1959 pre dolby where hms shines through

Feb 6, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #4,364 of 18,906
s-l640.jpg
clean bandit what is love? modern EDM.....(about 1 hour of listening to tt2 solo in quiet store)

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 10:39 AM Post #4,365 of 18,906
I don't think this isa music appreciation thread but even if i don't know these tunes, i bet they sound great on my rig too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back