Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 2, 2019 at 10:06 PM Post #4,306 of 18,905
For those of you who own TT 2, Did you hear other DACs before you made the purchase? Or did you buy it because you own(ed) other Chord products and you expected that TT 2 will be a high performing product without any comparison. If you did consider other DACs, what made you to choose TT 2 when there are so many choices out there at the price point which TT 2 commends.

Feb 2, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #4,307 of 18,905
For those of you who own TT 2, Did you hear other DACs before you made the purchase? Or did you buy it because you own(ed) other Chord products and you expected that TT 2 will be a high performing product without any comparison. If you did consider other DACs, what made you to choose TT 2 when there are so many choices out there at the price point which TT 2 commends.

For me it's both. I had the Hugo 2... then the L.K.S MH-DA004 followed by the AGD R2R-7. All sold. My TT2 arrives tomorrow!

I did consider other DAC's to the TT2... but the Hugo 2 was perfect but for a lack of warmth/body. So the TT2 made the most sense, especially given its versatility.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #4,308 of 18,905

I only bought TT2 for it’s remote control, it’s so good it can control H2 and TT2 at the same time, that alone is worth 4k

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #4,311 of 18,905
SDC11126.JPG
The Eagle has landed. ...and I really should clean my headphones.

Feb 4, 2019 at 6:58 AM Post #4,314 of 18,905
EagleWings instead of a new dac what about a new 1million tap dac by adding a hms to your h2 as i've done and also other members here have done.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #4,315 of 18,905
EagleWings instead of a new dac what about a new 1million tap dac by adding a hms to your h2 as i've done and also other members here have done.

From what I understand, the HMS helps improve the realism and resolution but doesn't help add more body or reduce the brightness of the Hugo 2. If there was a way to do that, I'd stick to the H2. The TT2 seems to offer what I am looking for in terms of sound, plus a larger soundstage. Price is the only reason why I haven't purchased one already.

Feb 4, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #4,316 of 18,905
HMS added to h2 adds more flesh to the sound for sure and shaves the edge of h2 smoothing it out big time. soundstage is hugely improved too in every aspect. remember a solo tt2 is not performing in the same league as a h2 with hms added. however hms and tt2 is of course a major step up on this.

Feb 4, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #4,317 of 18,905
From what I understand, the HMS helps improve the realism and resolution but doesn't help add more body or reduce the brightness of the Hugo 2. If there was a way to do that, I'd stick to the H2. The TT2 seems to offer what I am looking for in terms of sound, plus a larger soundstage. Price is the only reason why I haven't purchased one already.
I tend to agree on the Hugo₂'s «brightness», although I wouldn't use this term, as the perceived exaggeration is limited to the upper treble. If I use the Hugo₂ instead of the DAVE I reduce the range above 8 kHz by up to 0.7 dB. Additionally the range around 63 Hz can use some 0.1 or 0.2 dB boost. In terms of soundstage there's no way to make a DAVE out of the Hugo₂, save for some fake effects. But to my ears above EQ measures also improve the soundstage to some degree. And of course an M Scaler.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 1:17 PM Post #4,319 of 18,905
@Mediahound - I watched your review on the Violectric Audio V281. If you still have the amp, would you say a standalone TT2 sounds darker than H2 & V281 combo?

Those are actually almost identical in terms of overall warmth with more details/resolution with the TT2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back