Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 16, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #271 of 18,907
I could when the chord hugo TT 2 comes out part ex my hugo 2 my clear headphones and Heimdall cable and own it but then I would have to pay again to get the headphones, might be best waiting until next year sometime
You can always start with a cheap pair of headphones first, and buy better ones later when you have saved enough.So get Hugo TT 2 first as it seem like a great investment and worth the price, i think.

May 16, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #275 of 18,907
When I read your comments on the Hugo TT2 I could not help to wonder if it would be possible to drive the LS3/5a’s (11 Ohm version) directly from the TT2? From what I understand they’re not the easiest load. I tried the 2Qute directly driving the speakers but while vocals sounded very good, the 2Qute on its own seemed to lack control over the speakers with more complex material.
The LS35a are 82 dB with 1W, so you should get 98 dB out of them - which may be enough, depending upon how loud you need and your room size.
Thanks Rob, for taking the time to reply. Really appreciate it!
I was at my normal listening level with the Rogers LS3/5a's directly connected to the 2Qute at 30% attenuation (70% volume level); so I expect the Hugo TT 2 to be more than able to achieve all desired volume levels. Moreover, I suspect the supercaps will offer the punch the 2Qute on its own lacked?

May 16, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #277 of 18,907
As I was thinking about what I would need to do in order to buy one of these, a better question came to my mind - when will we see a Mojo 2?

May 16, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #281 of 18,907
The amp stage is identical to Hugo 2/Dave - it's just more powerful. So we have the DAC amplifier, the I to V function, filtering, headphone/speaker OP as one single amplifier. So in single ended mode it still comes down to 2 resistors, 2 caps, one global feedback amp connecting the pulse array to the outside world.

It's exactly the same as Dave, but the balanced negative output is now the same amplifier design as the SE amp, so I get ultra low distortion plus high OP powers.

Thank you Rob.

I didn't actually know that there was an amp section in the Hugo 2. (Or the DAVE.)

I wrongly assumed that Chord DACs did what the Mojo did. Or how I understood how the Mojo did it. Just taking the output stage straight from the DAC output. No amplification.

( I think I originally suspected there might be some OP-amp configuration, to reduce output resistance if it was needed. I think I was told that was not so though. ........... Whatever though, I am so looking forward to Hugo TT 2 reviews.)

May 16, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #282 of 18,907
TT2 topology follows the same principle regarding dac/amp output. AFAIK.

May 16, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #283 of 18,907
Not 20% but worth your while going to next UK Head-Fi meet! First one I bought a reduced Hugo1 at show. Second one a reduced pre-order Hugo 2!
When is the next uk head-fi meetup?

May 16, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #284 of 18,907
May 17, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #285 of 18,907
Is USB galvanically isolated on the TT2?

Yes sure; all mains powered DAC/amps will have isolation. And USB sounds very close to optical - sometimes I could hear no difference going back and forth, sometimes I got the impression that USB had better resolution, and optical perhaps better depth. If there is a difference, it's inconsequential - at least via my mains powered MSI lap-top on headphones.

Thanks Rob, for taking the time to reply. Really appreciate it!
I was at my normal listening level with the Rogers LS3/5a's directly connected to the 2Qute at 30% attenuation (70% volume level); so I expect the Hugo TT 2 to be more than able to achieve all desired volume levels. Moreover, I suspect the supercaps will offer the punch the 2Qute on its own lacked?

I am gobsmacked that 2Qute can drive a loudspeaker, it was never designed to drive headphones let alone loudspeakers. TT 2 is in several leagues above...

Thank you Rob.

I didn't actually know that there was an amp section in the Hugo 2. (Or the DAVE.)

I wrongly assumed that Chord DACs did what the Mojo did. Or how I understood how the Mojo did it. Just taking the output stage straight from the DAC output. No amplification.

( I think I originally suspected there might be some OP-amp configuration, to reduce output resistance if it was needed. I think I was told that was not so though. ........... Whatever though, I am so looking forward to Hugo TT 2 reviews.)

All competently designed DAC's have an amplifier - as a DAC creates a current output, and this needs to be converted to a voltage. This is done with a virtual ground amplifier, so called an I to V converter. Conventional DAC's will have two I to V, and a differential to single ended converter, with a filter, then an amplifier to drive the headphones. I can eliminate all that analogue complexity and just replace it with a single amplifier, doing the drive, I to V conversion and filtering in a single stage. This radically improves transparency, as any extra components degrades detail resolution and depth perception.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back