Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 18, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #301 of 18,907
PM for name of the website that will make you banana type speaker cable to RCA, etc.
Love Southend but metal detecting is not great there:)

i would only have a temporary need, just as an experiment. I have TAG Mclaren Calliope speakers with I wouldn't try with Hugo II alone. In fact just had speaker wires terminated with a stupid Euro design that came in years ago as I've dug out a 15 year old, good quality 60 watt stereo Tag power amp from garage I've never used (7.1 never worked for me). Power amp that will in no way accept Banana plugs! Sure most manufacturers ignored this stupid European edict, or at least only paid lip service to it, like Yamaha AV Receivers have a little lug you can get out for Banana plugs.

If one day I had a TT2, then I'd definately try re-terminating my Nordost cables, cheers.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #303 of 18,907
Galvanized HD usb port in TT and its my antipodes preferred delivery USB. You can try and make up your own mind. I don't use creative sound cards, don't use ch1 as a desktop but usb is the best there as well, HD port I use cinnamon audio quest modified for hugo...
Why would i ever pay to not have something delivered and yes if i can save 20% i will as well, but whatever....

Did some quick tests yesterday, switching back and forth between opt and usb inputs on H2 via roon.

I can’t quite put my finger on it but, it seem’s that usb has, how can I say this, it seems to be a fuller sound with usb compared to optical, it could of just been the placebo effect mind you.

I hear no interference via usb on h2. The reason I went optical in the first place was because of its lack of interference compared to usb, but now I am listening via usb on H2 and I dont hear any.

Dont know if the lack of any audible noise via usb is down to, noise abatement features on my mobo, asus z170 board which makes a big deal about interference and isolating stuff, or my psu, corsair Ax1500i which also makes a big deal about interference, or if its because the usb 3 ports that I am using is on the front of my pc case and is away from everything like fans, hdd etc, and has a chunky shielded cable ?

Or if its just all down to H2 ?

Either way, it has got me to use the usb input, had I not read your post I would of just left it set to optical as most of my music is 192khz and lower and I only have a handful of 384khz and dsd files.

Was thinking about buying an Intona or an iso regen if I was ever going to use usb, but I really see no need to buy one now.

Cheers

May 18, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #304 of 18,907
Can't wait to try the new TT with Master 1. Most likely it will take any headphones at whole new level. Thank you Rob for deciding to remove the batteries and keep only the capacitors.
Can i please know the weight and the power consumption? Thank you.

We will have to wait for the oficial figures from Chord - but power consumption non standby, not including the PSU, is 13W with no outputs connected for the units I have here.

May 18, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #305 of 18,907
Can I plug my Hd800s headphones with it’s supplied balanced cable directly into the balanced xlr outputs? I checked the cable and it has one big plug on it.

Would this sound better then using the 6.5 or 3.5 port?

Sorry for not knowing if balanced is better or not!

Other questions :
How would one hypothetically connect a sub woofer?

And how would you best make use of the various inputs out outputs of this device?
I’m trying to imagine how I could get the most out of it.

May 18, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #306 of 18,907
Can I plug my Hd800s headphones with it’s supplied balanced cable directly into the balanced xlr outputs? I checked the cable and it has one big plug on it.

Would this sound better then using the 6.5 or 3.5 port?

Sorry for not knowing if balanced is better or not!

Other questions :
How would one hypothetically connect a sub woofer?

And how would you best make use of the various inputs out outputs of this device?
I’m trying to imagine how I could get the most out of it.
Probably you connect with an adapter 2x3 pin female»4 pin female

May 18, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #308 of 18,907
I watched the darko audio video again on Rob watts and John Franks talking about the hugo TT 2 and must of missed it first time around but Rob uses the 2 headphone jacks to hook to the speakers
so probably dual mode like ayre codex?

May 19, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #309 of 18,907
The chord Dave uses the Xilinx’s Spartan-6 but they have a Spartan 7 now, are things moving that fast like the Qualcomm chip in mobile phones improved every year that manufacturers are having to keep up rather than the other way around,Spartan 7, 28nm 30% faster than the Spartan 7, 45nm

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #310 of 18,907
@Rob Watts sorry for all the questions.... but i'm curious... Will the Stereo XLR outputs sound better when using a balanced headphone, rather than the non-balanced headphone connections, or will they sound the same? So the HD800s has a balanced and non balanced headphone lead, so i'm wondering if the balanced lead with the tt2 will make it sound better ?

May 19, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #311 of 18,907
Chord dacs are se dacs, Robb feels that se out hp are best, rca out se is also best. Technically. This did not stop me going balanced out into a balanced hp amp to go balanced out xlr hp...however it’s well known se direct is preferred for lower noise floor, but don’t let that stop what you find more appealing

May 19, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #312 of 18,907
Thank you, thats what I thought, that Rob preferred se. Then i was wondering why it contains those stereo xlr ports, then i also saw the original tt also had those same\similar ports. Well, it would be interesting to see if a difference can be heard.

May 19, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #313 of 18,907
The below helps

Rob Watts

Sponsor: Chord Electronics

Thanks for the above Rob.

I use the TT in to ATC SCM40 active speakers. I use the RCA outputs as I understand (I think you were quoted) they provided better sound quality than the XLR. Will that be the same with the TT2?

Thanks

Paul
TT2 is a little different in that the negative OP is via the same amp design as the single ended amp in the DAC; so it enjoys the 2nd order analogue noise shaper amp, with the high power discrete OP stage. So the balanced OP is extremely low distortion but is as simple as possible - two resistors in the feedback.

May 19, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #314 of 18,907
The below helps

Rob Watts

Sponsor: Chord Electronics

Thanks for the above Rob.

I use the TT in to ATC SCM40 active speakers. I use the RCA outputs as I understand (I think you were quoted) they provided better sound quality than the XLR. Will that be the same with the TT2?

Thanks

Paul
TT2 is a little different in that the negative OP is via the same amp design as the single ended amp in the DAC; so it enjoys the 2nd order analogue noise shaper amp, with the high power discrete OP stage. So the balanced OP is extremely low distortion but is as simple as possible - two resistors in the feedback.

Thanks, what do you take from this? that it can sound better using balanced then se, that this is different from the original tt in this regard?

May 19, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #315 of 18,907
To me it reads that both XLR and RCA should sound the same on TT2.

On TT, the XLR isn't balanced if you look at the website. I read somewhere that Rob stated the RCA sounded a little better due to the simpler signal path compared to XLR, which makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back