Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 11, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #76 of 18,905
A great design and i think i will be ordering a TT2 especially after my bad luck with H2. The price is more realistic for me than dave too. Many thanks Rob. One point i would like clarification on...with the extra power reserves in TT2 and even though there is a low gain setting does that mean the full potential of TT2 is 'wasted' on high sensitivity low impedence iem's/headphones which are easy to drive? I'm struggling trying to contextualise this. Thanks MK.

How is the Bratwurst there btw?:slight_smile:

May 11, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #77 of 18,905
A great design and i think i will be ordering a TT2 especially after my bad luck with H2. The price is more realistic for me than dave too. Many thanks Rob. One point i would like clarification on...with the extra power reserves in TT2 and even though there is a low gain setting does that mean the full potential of TT2 is 'wasted' on high sensitivity low impedence iem's/headphones which are easy to drive? I'm struggling trying to contextualise this. Thanks MK.

No not at all - TT2 isn't just about power, you have the improved noise shapers giving better depth, and the 98k WTA taps too...

Yes having fun here in Munich!

May 11, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #78 of 18,905

If a transducer doesn’t need multi-watts of power (like most IEMs/headphones) then it’s ‘full potential’ at the desired SPL is down to the design and implementation rather than just the max power spec. Unused power is just unused power and doesn’t take away from the other design aspects, which are arguably FAR more important than the max power spec (once there is enough and allowing a little headroom).

May 11, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #80 of 18,905
I would very much like to hear a demonstration of Qutest, Hugo2 TT and DAVE without m-scaler back to back to get an evaluation of just what the differences are now between these DACs. It would certainly be interesting and if done blind I wonder how they would all score. Ok I expect Qutest to be some way off DAVE but maybe the differences are closing with these DACs.

Surely there will come a point where DAC performance does not have the huge leaps we have had between the original Hugo and DAVE?

May 11, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #82 of 18,905
Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #83 of 18,905
There's no site with a little more details on how the processing, specs, etc all mean outside of Chord's site and manuals?

I want to write on the Hugo2 and nerd out on the Hugo TT2. Tough to do when I have no understanding how the FPGA dacs work vs your R2R/ladder or DS based DACs|

@x RELIC x Great post below! Definitely watch this one --

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #84 of 18,905
There's no site with a little more details on how the processing, specs, etc all mean outside of Chord's site and manuals?

I want to write on the Hugo2 and nerd out on the Hugo TT2

Well, not that I’ve seen. Rob has shared an extraordinary amount of information in his posts regarding his designs and is the best information straight from the ‘horses mouth’. However, it takes some reading to get through.

You may also be interested in this:

May 11, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #85 of 18,905
I want but dont want at the same time.

Wish 2go was here so I can make up my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 11, 2018 at 6:33 AM Post #86 of 18,905
I wonder why you're selling them. Did you find something you like more?:L3000:

May 11, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #87 of 18,905
I wonder why you're selling them. Did you find something you like more?:L3000:

Would like a tt2 but not worried if my stuff sells.

I find that I use mojo poly more than hugo2, was originally going to buy hugott, but when spec’d out compared to hugo2, I saw hugo2 had bigger numbers and I instantly thought “bigger numbers is goood, right” ?

May 11, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #88 of 18,905
But where TT2 really comes into it's own is raw power; you have the capability of 18W RMS using the balanced XLR, and 7W RMS single ended (SE). What's interesting about this is that when the power goes up, the measurements stay the same - no degradation as the load is increased. And you can drop the load impedance, and the linearity is unaffected, and this is absolutely crucial for driving tough loads. This project has proven very interesting, as there has been a lot of cross-fertilisation from the prototypes of the power pulse array project (which promises huge powers); indeed, the TT2 OP stage comes from the power pulse array design.

Hi Rob,

And a big thank you for designing such amazing stuff! As a music lover and scientist I really like your approach. I have been using the 2Qute for almost three years now and I am still amazed about the details it is able to retrieve.

I use the 2Qute with an old Cyrus Two amplifier combined with its PSX power supply and Rogers LS3/5a speakers. I love the LS3/5a’s live-like reproduction of voices and can easily live with its drawbacks in the bass department.

When I read your comments on the Hugo TT2 I could not help to wonder if it would be possible to drive the LS3/5a’s (11 Ohm version) directly from the TT2? From what I understand they’re not the easiest load. I tried the 2Qute directly driving the speakers but while vocals sounded very good, the 2Qute on its own seemed to lack control over the speakers with more complex material.

Kind regards,
John

Last edited:
May 11, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #89 of 18,905
Would like a tt2 but not worried if my stuff sells.

I find that I use mojo poly more than hugo2, was originally going to buy hugott, but when spec’d out compared to hugo2, I saw hugo2 had bigger numbers and I instantly thought “bigger numbers is goood, right” ?

Good lesson for Head fi, chasing numbers leads to chasing your own tail. Relax, slow down, enjoy your music.

May 11, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #90 of 18,905
So, for my understanding Hugo TT 2 use improved six capacitors that charge when plug into the mains. Will the capacitors lose their capacity with time and need replacing or will always work as long as plugged in? So there is no internal battery at all, so Hugo TT 2 will not work away from the mains?
Other the above questions I really like the specifications and the new improved design. Well done once again Rob, John and the whole team from Chord Electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back