Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 10, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #46 of 18,886
Dave is Dave, tt is tt and Hugo is Hugo. They each have a reason for being and each stands on its own.

All true but let's not forget Dave is 3 years old.

At some point a Hugo will approach and maybe exceed the performance of the original Dave. I wonder if we're almost there now.

Power supply sections and analogue sections are two of the most important areas in DAC performance and they read like improvements over Dave.

Anyway questions for Rob.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #47 of 18,886
All true but let's not forget Dave is 3 years old.

At some point a Hugo will approach and maybe exceed the performance of the original Dave. I wonder if we're almost there now.

Power supply sections and analogue sections are two of the most important areas in DAC performance and they read like improvements over Dave.

Anyway questions for Rob.
With the 160, odd 000 taps and 20 WTAs as opposed to 10, I strongly doubt it. What good is all that extra amping and power improvements if the heart isn't DAVE spec. People did the same thing, wishing that Hugo2 could somehow be close to DAVE. Let's rein it in, people and accept it for what it is. It is not DAVE, it's an enlarged H2.

May 10, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #48 of 18,886
Power supply is completly different. Tt uses 6 lipo super capacitors, Dave is direct. Analogue components of tt have always been superior to Hugo but Dave is still a level up in that field.

May 10, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #49 of 18,886
1) In UK it is 4k for tt2 8.5k for dave. More than double.

2) Can someone explain how tt2 is powered/charged/operated. I don't see a on/off switch.

3) How will tt2 handle low impedence high sensitivity cans. in tt1 manual it states no problem here.

May 10, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #50 of 18,886
There is a switch up front middle. Tt as you can read on page 1 is powered by 6 lipo super capacitors that have had improvements in the psu. You still leave it plugged in all the time and play. I can’t say about impedance as I use high impedience cans with tt and gsx mk2

May 10, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #51 of 18,886
With the 160, odd 000 taps and 20 WTAs as opposed to 10, I strongly doubt it. What good is all that extra amping and power improvements if the heart isn't DAVE spec. People did the same thing, wishing that Hugo2 could somehow be close to DAVE. Let's rein it in, people and accept it for what it is. It is not DAVE, it's an enlarged H2.

Hehe I knew someone would mention the taps.

I have Dave so there's nothing to reign in hehe. Just very interested of the progress Rob is making with each new product. Incredibly impressive.

It appears TT2's noise shaper runs at 208MHz (like Hugo2) versus Dave's 104MHz to go with what reads like very beefy power and analogue sections of TT2.

Especially with an M-Scaler to take it to 1M taps, I wonder if TT2 may outperform even Dave with the same M-Scaler.

Interested to know from Rob how the measurements stack up and where Dave still exceeds.

A Hugo will outperform the original Dave one day (I'm fine with that as a Dave owner - progress happens) and I wonder if we're very close now. Only Rob really knows from the measurements.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #52 of 18,886
May 10, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #53 of 18,886
Can you switch off at the mains when not in use with TT dacs or does the charger switch off when fully charged automatically like hugo2. I can't understand this aspect of how battery operation works with mains.

May 10, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #54 of 18,886
t appears TT2's noise shaper runs at 208MHz (like Hugo2) versus Dave's 104MHz to go with what reads like very beefy power and analogue sections of TT2.

I expect this is like the Mojo vs. Hugo ... higher clock rate, but fewer cores. In other words, DAVE has more parallel processors so can run them slower.

Though the more powerful output might wind up resulting in better net performance with very demanding transducers (LCD-4, Abyss Phi, Susvara, HE-6).

Especially with an M-Scaler to take it to 1M taps, I wonder if TT2 may outperform even Dave with the same M-Scaler.

Unlikely, since DAVE still has twice the number of pulse-array elements.

May 10, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #55 of 18,886
Leave it plugged in. Turn it on or off, enjoy
Can you switch off at the mains when not in use with TT dacs or does the charger switch off when fully charged automatically like hugo2. I can't understand this aspect of how battery operation works with mains.

May 10, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #57 of 18,886
One doesn’t live by pulse arrays or taps alone. The original tt held up against ch2 very well, with more taps and pulse arrays, but I’m no engineer so don’t ask me why.

May 10, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #58 of 18,886
Noted, but the half number of pulse-array elements of TT2 has a much higher total output than Dave?

So Hugo 2 TT will play louder in the same load, which might sound better if DAVE can't drive that load properly, but beyond that increased output-level doesn't, on it's own, mean better sound.

Maybe an M-Scaler + Hugo 2 TT will meet, or beat, a plain DAVE. But it's hard to imagine it meeting, let alone beating, DAVE in terms of raw accuracy/quality if DAVE is fed with the same M-Scaler. If it did, that'd be a very effective way of killing sales of DAVE stone cold. Don't see any version of Hugo/TT beating DAVE until DAVE 2 is available ... and the hints around that have indicated it won't be anytime soon. Hell, Hugo 2 TT won't even be shipping for another 3 months (if it's on time).

May 10, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #59 of 18,886
Noted, but the half number of pulse-array elements of TT2 has a much higher total output than Dave?

How is this so Em? I understand these are the pulse array dacs which do the conversion to analogue?

May 10, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #60 of 18,886
If it did, that'd be a very effective way of killing sales of DAVE

How do you know that's not the plan? I'm sure they're working on a DAVE 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back