Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 14, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #13,861 of 18,905
I think there is no need to buy Funk if you have TT2. It’s 45W at 8Ohm does not necessary mean that Burson would have more power than TT2 at Susvara’s 60 Ohm.

TT2 is a fantastic all around device. You need an outstanding amp, to improve it’s sound. In my opinion Burson products are good, but not that good.
Math says 6 watts versus 5.76 for the TT2 out the back. Wouldn't be worth it to me unless the Burson sound is something you're looking for.

May 14, 2021 at 9:55 AM Post #13,862 of 18,905
I think there is no need to buy Funk if you have TT2. It’s 45W at 8Ohm does not necessary mean that Burson would have more power than TT2 at Susvara’s 60 Ohm.

TT2 is a fantastic all around device. You need an outstanding amp, to improve it’s sound. In my opinion Burson products are good, but not that good.

Yeah, feels to me the only reason to use another amp with the TT2 is getting another signature or maybe ridiculous amount of power. I’m eyeing the Bryston BHA-1 and the Benchmark HPA4 for a future purchase

May 14, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #13,863 of 18,905
Yeah, feels to me the only reason to use another amp with the TT2 is getting another signature or maybe ridiculous amount of power. I’m eyeing the Bryston BHA-1 and the Benchmark HPA4 for a future purchase

Thank you all for the responses.

Apart from the above speaker amps, and the Ttoby, what would be a worthwhile speaker amp to pair with TT2 for the Susvaras that maybe would cost around 2000usd or less? Those that would be an improvement to just using the TT2 xlr outs. I appreciate the guidance helping me avoid making a purchase that would not be an improvement to tt2 xlr outs. I am only into headphones, so the Ttoby might not be too wise a purchase for my use case. Thanks, guys :)

May 14, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #13,864 of 18,905
Yeah, feels to me the only reason to use another amp with the TT2 is getting another signature or maybe ridiculous amount of power.
Exact reason why I am not buying Dave, as I would need to pair it with equally competent amplifier. With TT2 I get a good DAC that is capable of driving my AB-1266 with ease, what a value!

May 14, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #13,865 of 18,905

Apart from the above speaker amps, and the Ttoby, what would be a worthwhile speaker amp to pair with TT2 for the Susvaras that maybe would cost around 2000usd or less? Those that would be an improvement to just using the TT2 xlr outs. I appreciate the guidance helping me avoid making a purchase that would not be an improvement to tt2 xlr outs. I am only into headphones, so the Ttoby might not be too wise a purchase for my use case. Thanks, guys :)
I'd search through the Susvara thread for this type of feedback. That said, I'd also live with the Susvara for a while powered out of the back of the TT2 before spending on a problem you may not have.

May 14, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #13,866 of 18,905
I currently own the AB-1266 TC, owned the LCD-4 for about a year before selling it recently and had borrowed a Susvara for about two months last year. If bass is important to you, I highly recommend the 1266. The LCD-4 also has great bass but the 1266 has more focus, punch and slam with a better balance from top to bottom. The LCD-4 has more forward and warm mids and is great for vocals. The Susvara is a great all-around HP but doesn't particularly emphasize the bass as the 1266 and the LCD-4 do.

The LCD-4 works fine with the TT2's front SE out. It wouldn't be necessary to use the XLR outs at all. For the 1266, the front is also fine but I preferred the XLRs for more bass presence and a slightly bigger soundstage. I've only tried the Susvara from the TT2's front as I wasn't even aware about being able to use the XLRs with an adapter to drive headphones. I wish I could have tried. I'm using the TToby (which I bought to drive speakers earlier this year) to drive the 1266 TC now and it has worked out great but I think the 1266 works just fine with the TT2's front SE or rear XLRs. The Susvara needs a lot of power to really shine but I hadn't experienced hearing it that way - yet...
Very grateful for your recommendations :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :beyersmile:

May 14, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #13,870 of 18,905
I’m waiting for my Burson Funk to be delivered. This tiny little device seems to be exactly what I need to sit beside the TT2 in my relatively compact set up to drive the Susvara. Like the TT2 it’s also versatile, being a Class A head amp and Class AB speaker amp in one device. With TT2’s SE + balanced XLR, and with Funk’s HeadAmp and speaker taps, I have quite a number of permutations available to match different headphones. Funk only has RCA input but that’s perfect with TT2. No DAC which is perfectly fine with TT2 as well. I hope someone’s been able to try this combo also who can share their experience.

That said, what do Chord TT2 owners think about the pairing of TT2 and Burson amps in general?

in my experience they may have the power but just cant resolve all the detail being supplied by the TT2. I've been through and embarrassing number of SS amps, none of which could ultimately deliver the everything the TT2 has to give, with the exception of the HPA4 that is, but which i found sadly sucked the life out of the tt2. I havent tried amps like pass labs, or luxman 750, nimbus, or other amps at that level, but i'm guessing this the sort of level you need to spend at to get something thats a match technically. The TT2's amp stage has more than enough headroom to drive my utopia and stellias, that said i do miss my Euforia AE otl and i think a good new school tube amp would bring more to the TT2 m-scaler party in terms of staging depth and body with the resolution thrown in.

May 14, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #13,871 of 18,905

Second hand Benchmark AHB2 or Bryston 4B 😎 sorry kinda fanboy over here

May 14, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #13,872 of 18,905
May 14, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #13,873 of 18,905
Dave - once heard it's enough to left a mark on you. You cannot go back :wink:
I was very unsure to upgrade from Hugo 2, as some said that the the sheer resolution would also make it less enjoyable with some recordings.
But now after owning one for about half a year, I can just say I absolutely love the transparency. You can hear the flaws of each recording but also what they have done right is more enjoyable. Sometimes it‘s almost like if you can hear beyond the microphones and recording equipment better while at the same time beeing aware of the flaws that this equipment brought. I hope this makes sense😁
Regarding power for speakers... I will just wait until Chord releases Robs amplifiers.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #13,874 of 18,905
I could get a Bryston 3B ST — this should be just as good right?
If you like analytical bright and powerful amps yes! Bryston is not for the warmth-savvy

May 14, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #13,875 of 18,905

I can't offer advice, but I am curious about your situation.

Am not questioning your finding the TT2 inadequate to drive the Susvara. However can I ask how you are running the headphones. Am asking because folk talk about running the XLR outputs for hard to drive loads.

It means to me that you must be either using single-ended with the Susvara. Or somehow the XLRs are provising enough power, which is hard to conceive. Or is it that you want an ampifier for another sound or tuning?

Anyway I am not sure what your plans are. People have mentioned the Benchmark HPA4, which I would have suggested. However one that rarely gets mentioned is the Moon Audio 430HA.

If you're looking for a speaker amplifier. The Chord Etude, Rega Aethos, Naim Supernait 3, and also Hegel are garnering great reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back