Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 13, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #13,846 of 18,895
Have you had the Aryas before? How would you compare them to the Susvara?

I enjoyed the Arya's, but at a time where I was able to A-B test the Focal Clear MGs, the LCD-X and the Aryas I found of the three they were the ones I went back to least. The Susvaras are to my mind, about as good as it gets and they are just so 'musical' if that makes sense. The Meze Empyrean's would be my second choice, they were strong headphones and did pretty much everything just right. I would love to hear the Abyss but I am going to have to stop with the Susvaras or risk divorce..

Meanwhile I have just received the M-Scaler so will hope to get a listen with this tonight.

May 13, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #13,847 of 18,895
Dear Sirs,
I currently have the HTT2 paired with Audeze LCDX, it sounds pretty good, I like it, however I am looking for an upgrade that delivers a sound with better bass.
the alternatives are:
  • Meze Emperyan
  • Focal Utopia
  • Abyss AB 1266 phi
  • Audeze LCD 4
  • Hifiman Susvara
  • Zmf Verite
  • Final Audio D8000 Pro
"Assuming" that the only one that would require an XLR connection (rear panel TT2) would be the SUSVARA?
Which of these would you recommend me?
Thank you
Dears,
My extra short list would be the following:
  • Abyys Ab1266
  • Lcd4
  • Susvara

Considering what was previously published, what would be your last recommendation ...

I will also appreciate you can help me with your experience, will it be necessary that the three alternatives indicated above must be connected to the rear panel of the HTT2 via XLR?
THANK You

May 13, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #13,848 of 18,895
M Scaler added to the Chord stack.

The TToby is not doing anything at all for the time being, as I await a Balanced XLR 4 Pin Female to Speaker Taps adapter for the Susvara's to be able to be connected direct to the TToby.

Attachments

• 1620929335626.jpeg
    1620929335626.jpeg
    472.2 KB · Views: 0
May 13, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #13,849 of 18,895

The TToby is not doing anything at all for the time being, as I await a Balanced XLR 4 Pin Female to Speaker Taps adapter for the Susvara's to be able to be connected direct to the TToby.
Or you can try balanced outputs from TT2 to Susvara. (Using adapter) it should be a marvelous duo :)

May 13, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #13,850 of 18,895
Dears,
My extra short list would be the following:
  • Abyys Ab1266
  • Lcd4
  • Susvara

Considering what was previously published, what would be your last recommendation ...

I will also appreciate you can help me with your experience, will it be necessary that the three alternatives indicated above must be connected to the rear panel of the HTT2 via XLR?
THANK You
I currently own the AB-1266 TC, owned the LCD-4 for about a year before selling it recently and had borrowed a Susvara for about two months last year. If bass is important to you, I highly recommend the 1266. The LCD-4 also has great bass but the 1266 has more focus, punch and slam with a better balance from top to bottom. The LCD-4 has more forward and warm mids and is great for vocals. The Susvara is a great all-around HP but doesn't particularly emphasize the bass as the 1266 and the LCD-4 do.

The LCD-4 works fine with the TT2's front SE out. It wouldn't be necessary to use the XLR outs at all. For the 1266, the front is also fine but I preferred the XLRs for more bass presence and a slightly bigger soundstage. I've only tried the Susvara from the TT2's front as I wasn't even aware about being able to use the XLRs with an adapter to drive headphones. I wish I could have tried. I'm using the TToby (which I bought to drive speakers earlier this year) to drive the 1266 TC now and it has worked out great but I think the 1266 works just fine with the TT2's front SE or rear XLRs. The Susvara needs a lot of power to really shine but I hadn't experienced hearing it that way - yet...

May 13, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #13,851 of 18,895

Nice! I look forward to your feedback once you get the adapter and try the Susvara with the TToby. I was encouraged to try the TC with TToby's speaker taps by @Spawn300Z who had good results with the Susvara with the TToby. It worked out really great for me and now I really want to get the Susvara to add to my stable but I'll have to wait a bit for that to happen.

May 13, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #13,852 of 18,895
Here's what I've found -
Abyss best for me out of the rear XLR balanced but also fine from front 1/4" outs
Susvara best from an external speaker amp but also fine from rear XLR balanced
Every other headphone best from front 1/4" outs

May 14, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #13,853 of 18,895
Hey Justin,

I just tried what you suggested in the email and yes the "rattle" was exactly due to those covers! Holding those three buttons stops it and just hear the slight play on the XLR's (the small clamp inside) but that guess normal by design so it doesn't break. Makes me feel relieved it's not like broken piece inside..phew...

Thanks for getting back to me quickly and headamp's customer service :thumbsup:

Mine rattles if I really shake it, pretty sure it’s just the volume ball/ switches. If it’s working find and Unless it feels like something is unattached which should be fairly obvious, I really wouldn’t worry… I know a rattle in a £4K dac sounds a lot more serious than in a £200 dac :wink:

May 14, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #13,854 of 18,895
Mine rattles if I really shake it, pretty sure it’s just the volume ball/ switches.
I wonder if the rattle would be audible if you were driving a pair of speakers that are placed on the same surface / table as HTT2 and then play some sub base, haha.

May 14, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #13,856 of 18,895
I’m waiting for my Burson Funk to be delivered. This tiny little device seems to be exactly what I need to sit beside the TT2 in my relatively compact set up to drive the Susvara. Like the TT2 it’s also versatile, being a Class A head amp and Class AB speaker amp in one device. With TT2’s SE + balanced XLR, and with Funk’s HeadAmp and speaker taps, I have quite a number of permutations available to match different headphones. Funk only has RCA input but that’s perfect with TT2. No DAC which is perfectly fine with TT2 as well. I hope someone’s been able to try this combo also who can share their experience.

That said, what do Chord TT2 owners think about the pairing of TT2 and Burson amps in general?

May 14, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #13,857 of 18,895
May 14, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #13,859 of 18,895
Next to letting your TT2 burn in, one needs to also shake it in.

It’s a british DAC, after all. Shaken, not stirred.

May 14, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #13,860 of 18,895
what do Chord TT2 owners think about the pairing of TT2 and Burson amps in general?
I think there is no need to buy Funk if you have TT2. It’s 45W at 8Ohm does not necessary mean that Burson would have more power than TT2 at Susvara’s 60 Ohm.

TT2 is a fantastic all around device. You need an outstanding amp, to improve it’s sound. In my opinion Burson products are good, but not that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back