Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 9, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #13,816 of 18,905
Thats most helpful Before I knew anything about the TToby I had ordered a 4-pin XLR Female Balanced to 2X 3-pin XLR Female Balanced Audio Adapter to enable me to connect the Susvara to the TT2 via dual XLR.

With TToby in the mix, this adaptor would therefore be pointless as I would instead be using something like this I imagine?

https://lqicables.com/products/balanced-xlr-4-pin-female-to-speaker-taps-banana-plugs-pins
Yes, that will work. I just added a photo of the adapters in the previous post.

May 10, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #13,817 of 18,905
Yes, that will work. I just added a photo of the adapters in the previous post.

Thank you. What is the purpose of the adaptor on the left, does the Susvara stock XLR cable not connect directly to the adapter on the right?

May 10, 2021 at 3:01 AM Post #13,818 of 18,905
Thank you. What is the purpose of the adaptor on the left, does the Susvara stock XLR cable not connect directly to the adapter on the right?
That was the dual-XLR adapter for me to hook up the 1266 TC direct to the TT2's XLR outs. I wanted to try both and went with the TToby's speaker taps. The Susvara stock XLR cable will work fine with the speaker taps adapter on the right.

May 10, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #13,819 of 18,905
You can’t bypass the analogue out of any DAC.
Obviously, but the point was that DAC mode does not bypass the ‘amp’ of the TT2.

May 10, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #13,820 of 18,905
I’m getting to know the HTT2 real well now. Basically, I love it !

However......... I had my doubts about the Final D8000 Pro even as I had my Qutest/GSX Mini rig that I’ve moved on.

In short, very much like the midrange and above with the D8K Pro, however the bass and bass punch / drive not so much. I really didn’t like the way it presents bass at all TBH.

Plus it was a bit flat sounding in regards to soundstage. OK width, but not enough depth for me.

I am in the process of moving them on, what should be my short list headphones that will work very well for the HTT2 front Jack output ? Or in a pinch via the XLR out from the back ?

My one that I’ve cobbled together via some in store demos and or feedback in here are:

1. Abyss 12266 phi TC
2. Susvara
3. STAX 009s
Because of cost only one of these.

3. Utopia
4. LCD4
5. LCD3
6. Verite Open
The above I can possible swing to purchase a demo. or open box units and buy a combo of two.

Ones I’ve discounted for reasons various are:
1. Emyrean
2. HD800s
3. STAX 007mk2
4. All other Focal after Utopia

I’d ideally like headphones that require no EQ or DSP at all in order to sound best from the HTT2. I hate playing around with EQ /DSP.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #13,821 of 18,905
If only choosing 1 then susvara

I tried the DK8 and Utopia. The Utopia was pretty good and my 3rd choice overall but I didn't 'get' the Final audio.
I owned the Empy (sold after susvara) and still have the VO (ready to sell) but I use the susvara and T+A, P and love them both. A bit more bass in the P but could easily live with either.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #13,822 of 18,905
Sales tax is real cost when you are looking at $5500 for a full retail TT2! Headamp, and quite a few other dealers, do not charge sales tax. I have bought a GS-X mini, Qutest and TT2 from Headamp. All shipped right away and were in new condition.

Man if I knew I could avoid sales tax I would have gone this route. At least I supported small business in my local town though :/

May 11, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #13,823 of 18,905
At least I supported small business in my local town though :/
Yeah thats why I was getting from moon-audio for almost all of my audiophile needs as they are local business (I live an hr away from them) but have been spending a lot lately on this hobby and trying to save some dough...

May 12, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #13,824 of 18,905
That was the dual-XLR adapter for me to hook up the 1266 TC direct to the TT2's XLR outs. I wanted to try both and went with the TToby's speaker taps. The Susvara stock XLR cable will work fine with the speaker taps adapter on the right.

Thank you.

I received my TToby today, and am connected via RCA to the TT2. Headphones currently into the 6.3 port on the front of the TT2. However in this configuration, it seems to me the TToby is not being used at all is it so is effectively pointless, is this the case? Certainly I can switch it off and there is no change in playing music.

On the Chord website they say this of the TToby - "The addition of TToby, enables owners of the Hugo TT 2 to fully exploit the device as a ‘digital preamp’, effortlessly driving a wide variety of loudspeakers, large or small, in addition to the Hugo TT 2’s headphone prowess.", so it would read to me that its more geared towards speakers than headphone use?

I am awaiting the XLR to speaker taps cable you mentioned, and will then be powering the Susvara's from the TToby.

With this in place, am I right in my belief that this is where I will see the benefit of the TToby for headphone usage?

Finally, should I be using XLR cable between the TToby and TT2 rather than the RCA I have currently?

I fully admit this was an impulse purchase with little in the way of research, driven by a decentish price on the TToby :)

May 12, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #13,825 of 18,905
I received my TToby today, and am connected via RCA to the TT2. Headphones currently into the 6.3 port on the front of the TT2. However in this configuration, it seems to me the TToby is not being used at all is it so is effectively pointless, is this the case? Certainly I can switch it off and there is no change in playing music.
To use TToby, you need to connect something to it’s speaker posts.

May 12, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #13,826 of 18,905
To use TToby, you need to connect something to it’s speaker posts.
Thanks, at the moment its just a nice looking expensive stand for my TT2 :)
Once I have the Balanced XLR 4 Pin Female to Speaker Tap cable I will hopefully see some benefit to it.

Would I benefit in a XLR connection between the TT2 and TToby, or is RCA sufficient?

May 12, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #13,829 of 18,905
Do you have other headphones? For Meze Empyrean TT2 is already more than enough. To have benefits from TToby you’ll need Susvara.

I have Susvara headphones, am in the process of parting with the beautiful Meze's and need to update my sig.

May 12, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #13,830 of 18,905
I have Susvara headphones, am in the process of parting with the beautiful Meze's and need to update my sig.
Yes, you will need to wait for the speaker taps-to-XLR adapter and then you'll use the volume control on the TT2. You'll want to start with the volume real low and gradually increase it to your comfort level. The power from the TToby can easily fry the drivers on any headphone, including the Susvara.

Here's an interesting article from Musicalhead (a respected audiophile site in Germany - you'll need to do the translation) about using speaker amps to drive power-hungry headphones like the Susvara and 1266 TC. As I mentioned, please be very careful with the volume level.

https://musicalhead.de/2020/02/22/das-kabel-macht-den-unterschied/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back