Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 16, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #11,761 of 19,014
Is rca or xlr better to use to connect a balanced amp to?
As far as preserving most transparency?
Will I have to change the Amplifier for another that has XLR inputs? or is it not so bad,
For example This:
DS-AMP-2.jpeg.jpg

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #11,763 of 19,014
Is rca or xlr better to use to connect a balanced amp to?
As far as preserving most transparency?
Connected to my amp, the iCAN Pro both ways allows instantaneous switching between both. I can’t tell any difference which would make sense since they output at the same level in DAC mode. In amp mode obviously the XLR is more powerful but then you’re more double amping.

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #11,764 of 19,014
Connected to my amp, the iCAN Pro both ways allows instantaneous switching between both. I can’t tell any difference which would make sense since they output at the same level in DAC mode. In amp mode obviously the XLR is more powerful but then you’re more double amping.
Intresting.... good point....

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #11,765 of 19,014

Don't think that's accurate. Its the same amp, the rail voltages and gain is what is different.

Jan 16, 2021 at 6:26 PM Post #11,766 of 19,014
It sounds more real. Impressions depend on musical preferences. For vocals and live instruments M Scaler is a game changer. Every opera lover should buy it without doubts. HMS still would be an improvement for electronics or even popular music with it’s loud mastering, but not that big.
I have heard opera, I can imagine liking it, can you direct me to an album that will encourage me to listen to it more, I have plenty of time on My hands.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #11,767 of 19,014
I have heard opera, I can imagine liking it, can you direct me to an album that will encourage me to listen to it more, I have plenty of time on My hands.
ZappaMan, if you want to jump right into the deep end you can start with this recording. Sir Georg Solti conducting Wagner’s Ring Cycle. It’s one of my favorites! https://www.google.com/search?clien...Bg&biw=414&bih=827&dpr=3#imgrc=pxV5oEcT6pRyMM: And here’s another that is quite superb. Luciano Pavarotti and Joan Sutherland. Real good stuff. Puccini’s Turandot http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=417

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #11,768 of 19,014
I remember I read that in Tt2 negative(cold) of XLR is generated by reversing the polarity of signal digitally. So positive (hot) and negative(cold) are identical exactly in case of XLR out. Negative is not generated by using electronic components. This is the reason they could keep the output impedance so low even for XLR out in Tt2 unlike in Dave. So low output impedance and the fact that negative of XLR is exactly like positive that means negative completes it's circuit with ground just like positive, some XLR to rca adaptor which short the negative and ground inside, can "fry" the negative output stage in Tt2 instantly. But such adaptors are rare. Neutrik ones I know do short negative and ground but not for XLR "output" of dacs but for XLR input of amps. Advantage of this approach by chord are enormous. You can drive speakers directly from XLR output to more than sufficient levels. (Believe me my wharfedale evo 4.2 most of the time are at around -15L to -18L which is around 1.5v via XLR and ahb2 makes it around 4.5v in low gain which is just above 2.5w for 8ohm wharfedales, so technically I don't need an amp for most of the listening) Only thing you have to be careful to not to use any XLR to rca adaptor. Instead solder only two wires in XLR female plug. One to positive pin and one to negative pin if you want more power or else ground pin instead of negative to get half output ( 1/4th power ). Btw XLR to headphones has no advantage in terms of noise cancellation. It only allows more power. I would say if you are never hitting anywhere near to 0db volume in XLR, stick to SE output of front, because that will cause less attenuation of signal.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #11,769 of 19,014
There are plenty of opera albums, here are some of my favourites:

Libertà!
Great for start as it have a lot of very different pieces.

1610842474504.jpeg

Handel: Italian cantatas
Beautiful female vocals. Brilliant Sabine Devieilhe.

1610842201946.jpeg

A Journey: Pretty Yende
Young and emotional Pretty Yende.

1610842977101.jpeg

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #11,770 of 19,014
Don't think that's accurate. Its the same amp, the rail voltages and gain is what is different.
From the manual, "DAC Mode can be employed when used within a conventional
audio system, where an external amplifier is present. When this mode is selected, a 2.5V RMS line-level signal will be present on all outputs." There are no gain options in DAC mode.

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #11,771 of 19,014
From the manual, "DAC Mode can be employed when used within a conventional
audio system, where an external amplifier is present. When this mode is selected, a 2.5V RMS line-level signal will be present on all outputs." There are no gain options in DAC mode.

Yes. It's the same amp, just configured differently. No double amp within the TT2.

I'm talking about using the XLR connected directly to the headphone with the TT2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back