Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 9, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #9,871 of 18,905
I need some advice. I just picked up a used 1 year old TT2 for a good price. Thus, I'm not sure how much time has been put on it. I can't say if I'm in the burn in camp or not but I do believe I've grown accustom to my HPA-4 amp. The HPA-4 gives me the sound I like with my Stellia headphones but I wanted to try the TT2. I listened to the TT2 by itself and then ran the TT2 to the HPA4. The one thing I seem to find is that the TT2 amp seems to have less authority/drive/presentation then the HPA4 and TT2 combo. Am I imagining things. Maybe it is because my brain is use to the HPA4. I initially ran both at -30db and the TT2 only sounded thinner if that is the correct term. I had to kick the TT2 to high gain to sort of equal the HPA4. Even then I still like the combo of the HPA4 and TT2 better then just the TT2. Does the TT2 need some more time or maybe I just need some more time to get use to the TT2 only. Thoughts? TIA!
More electronics in the path means loss of small details. These extra details can be like tt2 is thin sounding which it is not at all. Direct sound without any extra electronics can be more "direct" and "fast" thus giving the impression of thin sounding.

Jul 9, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #9,872 of 18,905
Thanks for everyone's comment. Hey, I got a weird question to ask for help. I need to take down my 2 channel system for storage. I still want to listen to my vinyl. Can I use BNC to RCA converters on the TT2's BNC inputs and then connect my phone stage output RCAs to the TT2's BNC inputs with the converter. If so then I'm wondering how this would sound. TIA!

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #9,873 of 18,905
I need some advice. I just picked up a used 1 year old TT2 for a good price. Thus, I'm not sure how much time has been put on it. I can't say if I'm in the burn in camp or not but I do believe I've grown accustom to my HPA-4 amp. The HPA-4 gives me the sound I like with my Stellia headphones but I wanted to try the TT2. I listened to the TT2 by itself and then ran the TT2 to the HPA4. The one thing I seem to find is that the TT2 amp seems to have less authority/drive/presentation then the HPA4 and TT2 combo. Am I imagining things. Maybe it is because my brain is use to the HPA4. I initially ran both at -30db and the TT2 only sounded thinner if that is the correct term. I had to kick the TT2 to high gain to sort of equal the HPA4. Even then I still like the combo of the HPA4 and TT2 better then just the TT2. Does the TT2 need some more time or maybe I just need some more time to get use to the TT2 only. Thoughts? TIA!

If it sounds better to you, then it sounds better. I come across things in audio that I can not explain. I have a headphone amplifier that is well known and respected and works great as a headphone amplifier. It can also be used as a pre amp but in that role it really sucks. I have no idea why. I can feed my power amp directly out of my DAC which has a lossless volume control. I like the sound much better if I install a pre amp between my DAC and my power amp. Again, I have no idea why.

All you can do is experiment and go with whatever works for you.

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #9,874 of 18,905
Thanks for everyone's comment. Hey, I got a weird question to ask for help. I need to take down my 2 channel system for storage. I still want to listen to my vinyl. Can I use BNC to RCA converters on the TT2's BNC inputs and then connect my phone stage output RCAs to the TT2's BNC inputs with the converter. If so then I'm wondering how this would sound. TIA!

It would sound like nasty noise, since it only has digital, not analog inputs. The TT2 is for digital sources, not analog.

Jul 9, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #9,876 of 18,905
More electronics in the path means loss of small details. These extra details can be like tt2 is thin sounding which it is not at all. Direct sound without any extra electronics can be more "direct" and "fast" thus giving the impression of thin sounding.
Problem is people dont like their own headphones or speaker and need some colorations. I would rather choose copper cables if i want some coloration instead of tubes amps, any additional amps and r2r dacs.

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #9,877 of 18,905
Ok, I was afraid of that but I wasn't sure. The TT2 is starting to grow on me so I was hoping it could help out here. Oh well.... Thanks!

I think TT2 grows on almost everyone. There are the very few who decide they don't like it, for whatever reason. TT2 took me few days with music I knew, before it even made complete sense. Until then what stood out was the difference to the Hugo 2. In fact the TT2 was a bit of a difficult listen initially, but still brilliant. However I knew it was just a case of time to adjust, and no looking back once that happened, for me. I still love the Hugo 2 and use it regularly. Even had the Mojo going tonight and am still 100% enamoured with it. It's almost impossible how well the Mojo sounds with Shure KSE1200. (It's like bliss in a heartbeat.)

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #9,878 of 18,905
Weird tt was far better than hugo and preferred it to h2 as well. There was no burn in to come to that conclusion. What’s with tt2? Are things just splitting hairs or is better something one needs to get used too?

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #9,879 of 18,905
We all hear things different I guess, there is a guy on the Naim forum with a high end system that still uses the Hugo 1 as his DAC. He has home demoed the Dave, TT2, H2, but still prefers the original Hugo. He uses a Naim NDX2 as his source into the Hugo, with a 552 preamp, 250 DR amp, with ATC SCM19 speakers.

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #9,881 of 18,905
As you go more and more distortionless ( by adding m scaler, using better cables, using noise control measures like ferrites etc etc ), the small details increase depth perception, as both channel behave more coherently. Headphones are typical in nature in the sense both ear receive signals directly, so increased depth perception in 'your head' can only be in the form of sound above your head instead of 'in front' because headphones by it's typical placement of drivers can't project 'in front' image. Now this increased depth perception which is 'above your head' can fool your brain into less width of soundstage. Conversely you can say systems having more distortion ( due to poor dac, using extra electronics in the chain , noise due to emi rfi etc ) can sound more wide, it's like distortion acting as a crude form of cross feed. If you are not habitual of extremely clean sound and increased depth perception of chord dacs, headphone listening experience ,direct from chord dacs can be very different than other systems. To me it felt so different, the singer was fixed like above my head and everything was placed in a dome like shaped around my head. Only after some time you realise this accuracy.

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #9,883 of 18,905
Currently no headphone dac/amp is anywhere near to tt2 and m scaler combo except dave with m scaler. For some power hungry headphones, tt2 is even better than dave too. This is because chord dac's unique approach of using long filter lengths for reconstructing analog sound wave and also embedded digital volume control. All these results in extremely low distortion to headphones which other dacs can't provide. Chord dacs are like you are connecting headphones directly to dac output, no extra electronics of seperate headphone amp and volume control are in between plus you get the benefit of time domain accuracy of transients which after a certain limit can't be measured by measuring equipments but brain is highly sensitive to these.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #9,884 of 18,905

It’s all colour that you are hearing.

I used $10000 interconnect cables between the Chord Dave and the Auralic Taurus MKII, it was incredibly hard to tell the diffence between the Chord Dave standalone and with an external amplifier with all my headphones. So I stopped using an external amplifier as the Dave was providing more than enough power.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #9,885 of 18,905
Currently no headphone dac/amp is anywhere near to tt2 and m scaler combo except dave with m scaler. For some power hungry headphones, tt2 is even better than dave too. This is because chord dac's unique approach of using long filter lengths for reconstructing analog sound wave and also embedded digital volume control. All these results in extremely low distortion to headphones which other dacs can't provide. Chord dacs are like you are connecting headphones directly to dac output, no extra electronics of seperate headphone amp and volume control are in between plus you get the benefit of time domain accuracy of transients which after a certain limit can't be measured by measuring equipments but brain is highly sensitive to these.
What about dCS Bartok? I would take that over my TT2/HMS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back