Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jul 4, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #9,781 of 18,905
Well, when Rob Watts will be here in my room listening to my headphones and observing no difference I will believe him. Unfortunately I am the one sitting here, owning during the years 3 DACs designed by him and observing on 2 of them improvements using linear power supplies. He told on all threads the same thing that there is no difference using LPS or the supplied one or even worse. Well, I beg to differ :)

I have never said that LPS would not change the sound quality; they just sound worse in my opinion, due to the added hum and RF noise creating more noise floor modulation. Because it sounds brighter with the LPS you are just thinking it is better.

Personally, I would rather my PSUs to be built into the main unit and be well designed from the get go. I see Rob Watts posting not to replace the Chord TT2 PSU. OK, but what if you ran that Chord TT2 PSU off of a nice squeegee clean battery? Would that not solve all the PSU problems on the table?

Yes it would; the point is it then sounds pretty close or identical to the supplied unit... Listen to the TT2 for 10 seconds with the PSU disconnected - it sounds and measures the the same with or without the PSU connected.

Jul 4, 2020 at 6:32 AM Post #9,782 of 18,905
I have never said that LPS would not change the sound quality; they just sound worse in my opinion, due to the added hum and RF noise creating more noise floor modulation. Because it sounds brighter with the LPS you are just thinking it is better.

Yes it would; the point is it then sounds pretty close or identical to the supplied unit... Listen to the TT2 for 10 seconds with the PSU disconnected - it sounds and measures the the same with or without the PSU connected.
Mr. Rob Good morning.

Thank you very much for answering the question of the Chord Hugo tt2 power supply.

First of all I would like to express my pleasure for your creation, the sound of tt2 dac is wonderful and I do not regret at all for the money I gave for its purchase. Please accept my congratulations. My objection is only to its power supply 15V/4A.

So I would ask you to allow me to ask the following:

a. why do you think switching mode power supply is more suitable than a linear one, when it is proven to make noise at specific frequencies during operation? These noise frequencies do not pass through such a high-tech circuit as the Hugo tt2? A high quality linear power supply that has also been proven to have very little noise distortion, wouldn't it be better?

b. the 15V/4Α dc power supply cable should not be shielded so that RFI does not enter through it from other devices, or power cables, or a signal located near it?

c. Shouldn't there be a very good quality Schuko instead of the dipolar 220 - 240ν connector, so that the application with the 220ν current power strip is perfect?

These are my questions, and I would be very happy if you could give me your knowledge.

Thank you very much..

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #9,783 of 18,905

That works for me. I just hope I made the right decision in going for the Chord Hugo TT2 over the Chord Dave. I have my eye on the Chord M Scaler as well. For now, I like that the TT2 has triple headphone jacks and more headphone amp power. Not to mention, the Dave is a huge investment for me and I have a feeling that the Dave 2 will be worth the wait. I have the same feeling about the Focal Utopia headphones, I’d rather buy the Stellia now and wait for a successor to the Utopia. Then I’ll have both of both for multiple purposes.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #9,784 of 18,905
I'm thinking of buying my first Chord product & deciding between the Hugo TT 2 or the Hugo 2 ?? One a table top & one being transportable, of course. I just can't decide which option to go with ?? Which is the better of the two ?

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #9,785 of 18,905
I'm thinking of buying my first Chord product & deciding between the Hugo TT 2 or the Hugo 2 ?? One a table top & one being transportable, of course. I just can't decide which option to go with ?? Which is the better of the two ?
TT2 is better sonically by a large margin.
H2 is a better bang for the buck.

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #9,787 of 18,905
Well there is quite a price difference also. I chose the TT2 for its ability to drive inefficient headphones, while being relatively small compared to most alternatives with similar power. So the amount of power you need is also a consideration.

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #9,788 of 18,905
Well there is quite a price difference also. I chose the TT2 for its ability to drive inefficient headphones, while being relatively small compared to most alternatives with similar power. So the amount of power you need is also a consideration.

Yes, the obvious price difference. I own the Sony TA-ZH1ES & i love the versatility of that, using headphones, or pre-out to speakers. I actually enjoy the pre-out more than headphone usage.
How is the TT2 for headphone usage, have no balanced connection ?

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #9,790 of 18,905

Start with the H2 and upgrade to the TT2 if you fall in love with it. The journey is awesome.

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #9,791 of 18,905
I'm quite happy with the single end output. It drives abyss TC and Susvara pretty well. I'm sure there are better options for those, but for now I consider the TT2 a very nice all in one solution.

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #9,793 of 18,905
Oh its great, balanced out back
This is what I did. After 5 days with the H2 I decided to go to tt2. It is so so satisfying.
Get H2 and use hqplayer and you'll love it

Sorry i didn't explain clearly, was refering to balanced headphone connection, which of course the TT2 doesn't have.

I could buy both, but i'm more tempted to go straight to the TT 2 ?

Jul 4, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #9,794 of 18,905
Sorry i didn't explain clearly, was refering to balanced headphone connection, which of course the TT2 doesn't have.

It does have balanced outs (on the back), which could be used for headphones although not needed for most all headphones since the single-end out is plenty of power.

Jul 4, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #9,795 of 18,905
It does have balanced outs (on the back), which could be used for headphones although not needed for most all headphones since the single-end out is plenty of power.

Any of my devices have a better sound using balanced connection. ( Headphone usage. ) So are you saying power is more important ? ( Thanks for that info. )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back