Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 2, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #9,333 of 18,907
God my TT is for repair atm and Chord has problems with getting replacments parts. Not having it really makes you miss the Chord sound....

Jun 2, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #9,335 of 18,907
Does the tt2 suffer from light bass as H2 does?

It does not in my opinion. I wouldn’t say it’s got boomy bass, but it has very very well controlled and textured bass. I’d also imagine the amount of bass might also depend on the headphones you use.

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #9,337 of 18,907
Is the tt2 a big improvement over H2 in terms of resolution, clarity? Or just like 10% better?

I really can’t comment because it’s been a couple years since I had a Hugo 2. That said, I remember being shocked by the step up to a TT2 from my Qutest and I felt like the Qutest was a nice step up from my Hugo 2 at the time.

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #9,338 of 18,907
Is the tt2 a big improvement over H2 in terms of resolution, clarity? Or just like 10% better?

In my opinion, 10% better is a huge jump when you are already at a very good product. It depends what that 10% is worth to you. Mojo to TT2 is maybe that 10%. It’s not like going from 480P to 1080P, but maybe like going from 1080P to 4K on a 50” screen. So, not much, but better. And you do get used to it.

What TT2 provides is additional power and flexibility. I use it for speakers and headphones. But it trades off portability. It will (one day) support mScaler better than H2, or of course, Mojo.

Edit: and here is another take worth reading. What I take away is that there is a lot of “subjectivity” or “art” in the design of Rob’s DACs in the I to V conversion (I.e., “amp”):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-hugo.702787/page-123#post-10459450

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #9,339 of 18,907
In my opinion, 10% better is a huge jump when you are already at a very good product. It depends what that 10% is worth to you. Mojo to TT2 is maybe that 10%. It’s not like going from 480P to 1080P, but maybe like going from 1080P to 4K on a 50” screen. So, not much, but better. And you do get used to it.

What TT2 provides is additional power and flexibility. I use it for speakers and headphones. But it trades off portability. It will (one day) support mScaler better than H2, or of course, Mojo.

Edit: and here is another take worth reading. What I take away is that there is a lot of “subjectivity” or “art” in the design of Rob’s DACs in the I to V conversion (I.e., “amp”):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-hugo.702787/page-123#post-10459450
I only have headphones but always looking for more resolution and clarity, no matter how much I get. I love the H2. But I do wish it had more musicality

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #9,340 of 18,907
God my TT is for repair atm and Chord has problems with getting replacments parts. Not having it really makes you miss the Chord sound....
Matt posted on another Chord thread, that many of their UK suppliers were planning to reopen for business in mid-June.
Maybe that explains why replacement parts are in short supply at the moment.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #9,341 of 18,907
I only have headphones but always looking for more resolution and clarity, no matter how much I get. I love the H2. But I do wish it had more musicality

I only heard the H2 on tour for about 10,days, but preferred the musicality of Mojo. TT2 is a super-Mojo to me. More of everything. It is really hard to speak in percentages, though. A live unamplified concert is one thing, and probably really hard to replicate. But for studio albums, Mojo + Aeon 2 Closed is easily 90% of what anyone can hope for. Better is largely subjective at that point, though there are incremental technicals, especially if you have hard to drive headphones or other special needs.

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #9,342 of 18,907
Well, deposit down on a black TT2 to 'replace' my Sony TA-ZH1 .... and to compliment my Hugo2 ... can't wait!

In terms of Coax from a Sonos unit it has Audioquest Cinnamon. I don't think it it worth upgrading that as the unit will mainly run with my MacBook Pro plugged into a Vertere USB :). I was looking at the Audioquest Carbon Black but realised the Sonos is not going to benefit much more from a fancier cable.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #9,343 of 18,907
Does the tt2 suffer from light bass as H2 does?

Neither have "light bass". Dead flat...if you are not hearing enough, I suggest a different headphone. You do not want a coloured source as it will not work with many other transducers.

Jun 2, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #9,344 of 18,907
Neither have "light bass". Dead flat...if you are not hearing enough, I suggest a different headphone. You do not want a coloured source as it will not work with many other transducers.
Is the tt2 less aggressive in its sound than H2? I want all the detail of the H2, the resolution and clarity but also slightly more laid back and not as aggressive ( I don't sense brightness or glare) just lots of attack! Maybe I'm not used to the details in this way.

I have the lcd 4z and love them.

Jun 2, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #9,345 of 18,907
Is the tt2 less aggressive in its sound than H2? I want all the detail of the H2, the resolution and clarity but also slightly more laid back and not as aggressive ( I don't sense brightness or glare) just lots of attack! Maybe I'm not used to the details in this way.

I have the lcd 4z and love them.

There is no aggressiveness to the H2, but it is dynamic and detailed, and if you're looking for something laid back, then you want something less detailed with trimming some of the treble off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back