Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 7, 2019 at 6:27 PM Post #6,766 of 18,906
Hi folks,

I've now connected my TT2 to a couple of different sources, including a PC for the first time. I'm primarily going to be using it with headphones (Empyreans), but I do also have them connected to small computer speakers (Audioengine A2). I was under the impression from the manual that when you put the TT2 into "DAC" mode, that the volume ball would turn off (which it did), but that the interior light would change color depending on source music encoding.

This color change isn't happening on my TT2. It's staying on the 44.1 kHz "Red" even though I've thrown 24/96 (via Qobuz) and 24/192 (via Musicbee from NAS) files at it. Both are coming from a Windows PC. I have installed the driver and am getting sound output from both the headphones as well as the speakers. It's really just the color of the light that isn't changing. So I'm wondering if there's downsampling going on or if there's a problem with the TT2?

Thanks!

I was going to say, maybe your music player is defaulted to 44.1MHz output. I think it's like that on JRiver which I use, after fresh install. A couple of settings to change to get it right.

Sep 7, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #6,767 of 18,906
I just wonder: You said that you have installed the Chord driver (which is ASIO Chord 1.05, at least in my case), and ASIO should do the same as WASAPI: bypass the Windows settings.

At least on my box, you have to set each app to use Exclusive Mode. I imagine it's so they can own the bitstream entirely. When it's shared, I expect the USB output to have to default to the Lowest Common Denominator.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #6,768 of 18,906
Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the music recommendations within this thread. While I’m always on the hunt for new gear/sound, I’m even more on the hunt for great new tunes that push my personal boundaries.

Thanks y’all.

Sep 7, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #6,769 of 18,906
Anyone got any good concept albums that they have heard.

I'm on about things similar to Pink Floyd, The Final Cut, Roger Waters Pro's and Con's of Hitchhiking etc, albums that are like a story, but sang instead of spoken.
Greendale, live in vicar street, is the finest

Sep 8, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #6,771 of 18,906
Just got my own TT2 + MSC + Susvara

1st This combo drives the Susvara no prob. High Gain on TT2 I run Susvera between -5 and +4 MAX. TT2 goes to +22.

Really not sure what kind of performance bump you would get with a speaker amp. I bet it is minimal.

2nd Susvara quite a bit better than LCD 24. No question. More everything.

Also this is an unbroken in Susvara... supposed to get much better at 200hrs+... and still kicks LCD 24 ass.

However forget Susvara and DAP... TT2 + Mscaler prob one of the best Susvara systems.

IMG_2076.jpeg

Sep 8, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #6,772 of 18,906
Thanks for the heads-up. I was looking on 7-Digital (UK) yesterday, and they had a lot of Zimmer's stuff. I was thinking about absolutely auditioning through all his albums. There is a non-UK 7-Digital too, same company. (I think 7-digital are well worth making an account with, as they are sometimes cheaper than the download competition. I don't know if they accurip though, or if any download stores do. I have a 7-Digital account and have bought from them.)

I ended up with a mental note of Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice. Now have Arrival and Oblivion too in my mind.

I think Hans Zimmer is a bit a of a find/gem in one respect. He's modern, does traditional harmony and traditional modulation, and he makes good music. Whereas most modern classical composers make music that sounds like it's played on pots and pans. With Hans Zimmer though, we'll be getting music that's technically focused on quality recordings, made with modern tech. Therefor bringing the best from our Chord DACs.

I think Hans does synths a stuff too, but I would say for sure he's classically trained.

P.S. My Inception CD arrived today. (I also have Hans Zimmer - The Classics CD, and the CD soundtrack from Gladiator.)

On the topic of film score composers, Danny Elfman is a genius with a very impressive resume (most of Tim Burton’s movies among others). He recently released a concerto he wrote that sounds amazing on my mTT2 and mDAVE. It’s available on Tidal and well worth your time.

Just curious if it's known whether Dolby or compression is used in these albums? I know it was mentioned that pre-Dolby sounds amazing on TT2-mScaler. Just seems with not a lot of noisy analog gear nowadays, why would you need noise reduction?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #6,773 of 18,906
Anyone got any good concept albums that they have heard.

I'm on about things similar to Pink Floyd, The Final Cut, Roger Waters Pro's and Con's of Hitchhiking etc, albums that are like a story, but sang instead of spoken.

If you like Pink Floyd, you must have a listen to RPWL

https://www.rpwl.net/music/tales-from-outer-space/

Can ignore first 30 seconds of video, but truly some beautiful music. Have ten of their albums since discovering them.

Sep 8, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #6,774 of 18,906
Just got my own TT2 + MSC + Susvara

1st This combo drives the Susvara no prob. High Gain on TT2 I run Susvera between -5 and +4 MAX. TT2 goes to +22.

Really not sure what kind of performance bump you would get with a speaker amp. I bet it is minimal.

2nd Susvara quite a bit better than LCD 24. No question. More everything.

Also this is an unbroken in Susvara... supposed to get much better at 200hrs+... and still kicks LCD 24 ass.

However forget Susvara and DAP... TT2 + Mscaler prob one of the best Susvara systems.

I'll be getting the same setup soon. Are you using the balanced or the singled ended outputs to drive the Susvara's?

Sep 8, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #6,775 of 18,906
I just wonder: You said that you have installed the Chord driver (which is ASIO Chord 1.05, at least in my case), and ASIO should do the same as WASAPI: bypass the Windows settings.
In my experience ASIO driver, while sounding identical to WASPI, is prone to drops and stutters. Don't know why, CPU overhead maybe, but gave up worrying about it. Musicbee + WASPI is bitperfect so is all you need.

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #6,776 of 18,906
I really like my Sony WM-1000XM2 i can easy go from my wired hifi systems including Hugo 2 - HD800S without thinking this sounds so bad. I can enjoy the music on the Sony wireless. I mostly use it at home when cooking my food including washing the dishes which make it more fun. The noise cancelling i have on all the time and i think it sounds best that way. I cant hear it at all when music is playing. But i dont critically analyze the sound often. For what you pay i think they are great sounding.

So i recommend these but you probably want the more comfortable Sony WM-1000XM3 and faster charging.
I agree completely.
I use the older MDR-1000X for mobile use, and the noise-cancelling is just superb when I'm on the train, out-and-about etc.
Before I bought the Sony's, I used to use Hugo/DT1770's for mobile use, which was a little unwieldly to carry at times.
Yes, there's no beating my TT2/HD800, and even the Hugo/DT1770's for mobile use, but I'm genuinely surprised about how 'palatable' the Sony's are when I'm on the move. Superb mobile headphones.

Sep 9, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #6,777 of 18,906
Just wanted to say how much I appreciate the music recommendations within this thread. While I’m always on the hunt for new gear/sound, I’m even more on the hunt for great new tunes that push my personal boundaries.

Thanks y’all.

I have a recommendation for you/everyone. I am going to stick my neck out on this one, and I love it. Just bought it. (It's not in English and I barely understand a word, but that doesn't even matter.)

Artist: Bebe
Album: Y

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #6,778 of 18,906
I'm finalising my TT2 order with respect to delivery finances etc today. A concert every night in my front room really marvellous. Relaxing with some old school lovers rock right now with Deborahe Glasgow "The Legend". If only i had a beautiful lady to share these moments with.....:triportsad:

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #6,779 of 18,906
I'm finalising my TT2 order with respect to delivery finances etc today. A concert every night in my front room really marvellous. Relaxing with some old school lovers Rock right now with Deborahe Glasgow "The Legend". If only i had a beautiful lady to share these moments with.....:triportsad:

We had a concert in our front room the other day in the form of Night on a Bare Mountain live from the proms on radio 3. It was sublime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back