Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 29, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #5,911 of 18,907
Joined the party yesterday and now finally have a TT2 as well! Only a few hours of listening into my ownership, I think I can confidently say its quite a big step up from my Moon NEO 230HAD (as well it should be, considering the price difference). Really happy with it.
One weird thing i noticed though:
Even with everything else unplugged but the stock SMPS, running my finger along the surface of the device, it feels like there is current running through it (slightly buzzing, tingling), even when in standby. It goes away when i unplug the PSU. This also manifests itself as a humming noise (I guess kind of a ground loop) when using my Audeze LCD-i4 IEMs and touching their metal casing.
Additionally, i believe the TT2 is really getting QUITE warm (upper 40s, maybe 50c?).

This has me worried and the buzzing/humming is a bit annoying (as the metal parts of the i4 often are in contact with my outer ear). So:
Is this normal? Does anyone else experience anything like this? Could it be a fault with the PSU? I have tried plugging the PSU into an Audioquest Niagara 1000 and a wall outlet, i have reversed the plug and the cable going into the PSU block, no changes.
Have already contacted Chord support, but i thought I might as well ask here :)
Thanks guys.
I get the same thing with my Hugo2 and Mojo with LCDi4s, when connected to power. It is present to a lesser extent with other headphones, I think it is more apparent with the LCDi4 because it is planar magnetic.

It is a grounding issue. It apparently can be addressed via grounding one of the free terminals, although I have not done so myself yet.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #5,912 of 18,907
Currently using a Metrum Acoustics Musette with upgraded Transient 2 modules into a Metrum Acoustics Aurix for headphone duties. How much of an upgrade would a TT2 be over this?

Jun 29, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #5,913 of 18,907
Stellar all in one solution for headphone use. Want to take it a step further? Add the M-Scaler. Done. No fluff. You're welcome.

Not sure if I replied to this, but great response! Thanks!

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #5,915 of 18,907
I get the same thing with my Hugo2 and Mojo with LCDi4s, when connected to power. It is present to a lesser extent with other headphones, I think it is more apparent with the LCDi4 because it is planar magnetic.

It is a grounding issue. It apparently can be addressed via grounding one of the free terminals, although I have not done so myself yet.

I also get the light vibration on the metal frame of my Sony phone when charging.

Jun 29, 2019 at 8:35 PM Post #5,916 of 18,907
Hello all.

I have been using my HMS and TT2 with Focal Utopia until this afternoon. Got a great deal on Stax 009s and T8000. Keeping the focal in the lineup, but have a question for those of you with Stax.

I like the idea of using the TT2 remote for volume control. More chance of spilling my drink reaching over to change volume on the T8000. I hear a small difference between DAC and AMP mode. Curious what you folks are using.

Cheers from Canada.

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:07 AM Post #5,917 of 18,907
Hello all.

I have been using my HMS and TT2 with Focal Utopia until this afternoon. Got a great deal on Stax 009s and T8000. Keeping the focal in the lineup, but have a question for those of you with Stax.

I like the idea of using the TT2 remote for volume control. More chance of spilling my drink reaching over to change volume on the T8000. I hear a small difference between DAC and AMP mode. Curious what you folks are using.

Cheers from Canada.

Great to hear from another happy TT2/HMS owner although DAC and AMP mode would be more accurately called fixed volume and variable volume. There is no other difference between them. In amp mode if the volume is adjusted to be the same as dac mode then they will sound identical.

Jun 30, 2019 at 1:41 AM Post #5,918 of 18,907
Try unplugging yours and see if its still the same, for me that removed the weird feeling.
Re: temperatures, haven't measured, just feels quite warm to the touch even when it's 30 degrees in my room, like now. Would be logical for it to run warmer now though.

Thanks, I had just seen that. Good to know it's harmless, sucks that it is very audible with the i4 sometimes... The i4 are my saving grace in these temperatures, it's impossible to wear full size headphones right now :)

I will try it the next time my TT2 is disconnected from the mains. My TT2 and HMS have been left powered up for the last 7 months, never been turned off during that period due to the awkward position of the mains socket.

If rob says it's a grounding issue caused by psu leakage, then it's a grounding issue caused by psu leakage.

The feeling from that buzzing is as bad a feeling as dragging one's fingernails down a blackboard, urghh.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #5,919 of 18,907
Currently using a Metrum Acoustics Musette with upgraded Transient 2 modules into a Metrum Acoustics Aurix for headphone duties. How much of an upgrade would a TT2 be over this?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Jun 30, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #5,920 of 18,907
May I ask what the consensus on HTT2's Bluetooth playback capabilities? I wouldn't use Bluetooth for serious listening, of course, but it's handy for occasional spur-of-the moment streaming when a friend visits, for example. The only other Bluetooth implementation I've tested in a headphone amp/DAC is the Arcam irDAC-II, and I was actually surprised by the sound quality, much better than I expected with no obvious artefacts to suggest I was listening to a crippled method of audio transmission. Having just paired my 6th gen iPod with HTT2, I'm very disappointed with the sound quality over Bluetooth. It's very crunchy and grainy, and vocals in particular seem to have a constant distortion weaved through them. Is this normal?

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #5,922 of 18,907
Is the power cord change affect the sound? If yes what is the recommendation ?
The short answer is yes, for many types of equipment.
The longer answer is that the power chord can carry the mains power supply, plus noise from other local power noise, plus local ground plane noise from your domestic equipment or AV equipment.
Many owners propose specific solutions, some costing thousands of dollars.
I share their objective that it is possible to clean up the mains power supply considerably, but differ in the belief that it should be possible to achieve this far more cheaply.

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #5,923 of 18,907
The short answer is yes, for many types of equipment.
The longer answer is that the power chord can carry the mains power supply, plus noise from other local power noise, plus local ground plane noise from your domestic equipment or AV equipment.
Many owners propose specific solutions, some costing thousands of dollars.
I share their objective that it is possible to clean up the mains power supply considerably, but differ in the belief that it should be possible to achieve this far more cheaply.
Probably he ask referred to tt2. So no power cord i think

Jun 30, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #5,924 of 18,907
May I ask what the consensus on HTT2's Bluetooth playback capabilities? I wouldn't use Bluetooth for serious listening, of course, but it's handy for occasional spur-of-the moment streaming when a friend visits, for example. The only other Bluetooth implementation I've tested in a headphone amp/DAC is the Arcam irDAC-II, and I was actually surprised by the sound quality, much better than I expected with no obvious artefacts to suggest I was listening to a crippled method of audio transmission. Having just paired my 6th gen iPod with HTT2, I'm very disappointed with the sound quality over Bluetooth. It's very crunchy and grainy, and vocals in particular seem to have a constant distortion weaved through them. Is this normal?

It's actually pretty decent if your bluetooth device supports aptx, if it doesn't it will sound crap compared to what tt2 can really do.

Apple devices do not support aptx, so if you're an apple user, bt will sound bad.

It would of been great had tt2 supported bt 5, aptx, aptx hd and aptx low latency and also LDAC, that really would of been the icing on the cake.

If you want a good bt device, try penon, as they have cheap bt devices which support the entire range of bt codecs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back