Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 12, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #4,876 of 18,905
Is it just me or is anyone else terrified of hooking up hp, back there?

No need to worry whatsoever. The abyss isn't even particularly efficient in the realm of efficient speakers. And on the TT2 the taps are rated at less than the maximum rated power of the phi drivers. I've been running taps to headphones for years, never had an issue.

@rickles I'm not sure if the TT2's headphone out is or isn't identical to the taps. On something like the WA5 the taps are on the same line as the highest power output on the front jack, so there's no point in using the taps. If you want to try it out, though, I'm happy to lend you a spare adapter.

Mar 12, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #4,877 of 18,905
Anyone know what is the volume of tt2 at the lowest volume setting at low gain?

The reason I ask is that I regulary use a Chord Mojo at the lowest setting and it is sometimes too loud e.g. in bed when trying to fall asleep. So what is the difference between TT2 and Mojo at the lowest setting? Maybe @Rob Watts could clarify?

Mar 12, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #4,879 of 18,905
Mar 12, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #4,881 of 18,905

Ah, so you went single-ended. I ordered some adapters to try that. If there is enough power for the Omega’s that way, it could work (more convenient, actually, because I’m mostly using the HE-6 from the rear XLRs). But still would like to try speakers from them at the full balanced OP of 18W.

Mar 12, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #4,882 of 18,905
Has anyone compared the SE (front) output on the Chord Hugo TT2 versus the XLR (rear) outputs using the Abyss Phi? Is there any SQ difference assuming I'm not listening too too loudly (-24H or so).

Only consider using the balanced if you are at +6H or above! So you are a long way from needing the XLR's.

Anyone know what is the volume of tt2 at the lowest volume setting at low gain?

The reason I ask is that I regulary use a Chord Mojo at the lowest setting and it is sometimes too loud e.g. in bed when trying to fall asleep. So what is the difference between TT2 and Mojo at the lowest setting? Maybe @Rob Watts could clarify?

The low gain setting is about 6 dB quieter than Mojo, and the volume control is the same, so yes it should be quieter.

First time I have heard of someone needing a quieter setting! Good feedback to have.

Mar 12, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #4,883 of 18,905
Has anyone compared the SE (front) output on the Chord Hugo TT2 versus the XLR (rear) outputs using the Abyss Phi? Is there any SQ difference assuming I'm not listening too too loudly (-24H or so).
I have, I drive my Abyss from the XLR outs. I couldn't notice much difference really out of the front or back in terms of transparency. They sound amazing from the rear outs.

Mar 12, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #4,884 of 18,905
I just did a quick internet search and I think he is referring to this. I don't have one of these macs so I have not read the article . . .

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/285971-apples-latest-macs-have-a-serious-usb-audio-problem
Thank you for this. Several months ago one of the members in this very thread insisted that OSX High Sierra and Mojave were to summarily to blame for his USB issues and all Macintosh computers have the issue. As I explained then and as this article confirms now, software updates do not affect all Macintosh computers the same way because of differences in internal hardware spec.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #4,885 of 18,905
@Rob Watts you have mentioned that TT2 have "the second order analogue noise shaper topology, which eliminates HF distortion, and allows no high frequency distortion at all once a load is attached". Can you explain what exactly noise shaper do and how TT2`s noise shaper is different to typical solutions? Sorry, if this was already asked earlier. I will gladly read that discussion if you point me to it.

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #4,888 of 18,905
There are a lot more differences apart from the PSU - on the DAC side, it has better noise shapers on the FPGA (better depth and detail resolution) very much more advanced reference circuitry (taken from Dave, giving a darker and more full bodied SQ). On the analog side we have the second order analogue noise shaper topology, which eliminates HF distortion, and allows no high frequency distortion at all once a load is attached.

But of course the biggest benefit is the simplification of your analogue path - TT2 is an order of magnitude simpler than Qutest + headphone amp, so the connection from digital to transducer is fundamentally more direct. A more direct connection is much more transparent; plus the distortion and noise will be very much lower than with an external amp.

Is this the reason people are reporting a more weighty and realistic treble with TT2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back