Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 1, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #3,766 of 18,906
This is not to knock hugo 2, which I owned fir about 6 months before trading it in fir the tt2.
(My phone keeping spelling it fir).
I used to think hugo 2 was good, but tt2 has a realism that I didn’t know hugo 2 didn’t have until I got tt2.
When I first listened I really couldn’t believe the difference fir the first few days. Piano chords were meaty, high chords were really high, low chords could shake you, any aspect of the drum kit was amazing, really realistic metallic decay.
When Neil young placed emphasis on his voice or piano chord, it really transferred, these were all subjectively received by me as being vastly superior to hugo 2.
Not to put the boot in, I remember feeling, hugo 2 was analytical after all, tt2 was organic and ‘real’ and vicerably more enjoyable. Note, this is with mscaler in the line for both dacs so it should cancel it out!

Good info, thank you. Man everyone runs the mscaler in conjunction with the TT2 and it sounds like it’s just amazing. I really can’t spring for the mscaler and I’m disappointed I won’t have that luxury. It makes me wonder if without the mscaler the TT2 is worth it. I know it has more power and better connectivity, but maybe sans the mscaler the Hugo 2 will get me damn close. Obviously I’m trying to justify to myself to save money and get the Hugo 2, but if I hear from enough people that the TT2 is noticeable better then I’ll go for it. First world problems lol

Has anyone used the TT2 or Hugo 2 as a DAC only in conjunction with a speaker amp to run speakers? This is really important to me.

Also, anyone using an HE1000se with TT2 or Hugo 2?

Jan 1, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #3,767 of 18,906
Good info, thank you. Man everyone runs the mscaler in conjunction with the TT2 and it sounds like it’s just amazing. I really can’t spring for the mscaler and I’m disappointed I won’t have that luxury. It makes me wonder if without the mscaler the TT2 is worth it. I know it has more power and better connectivity, but maybe sans the mscaler the Hugo 2 will get me damn close. Obviously I’m trying to justify to myself to save money and get the Hugo 2, but if I hear from enough people that the TT2 is noticeable better then I’ll go for it. First world problems lol

Has anyone used the TT2 or Hugo 2 as a DAC only in conjunction with a speaker amp to run speakers? This is really important to me.

Maybe the best plan is to wait until your dealer has a demo TT2 and MScaler and then you can take your H2 along and see whether you prefer that hooked up to the MScaler or whether you prefer the TT2 by itself.

These are decisions based on personal preferences and you really need to see if you can hear before buying.

Jan 1, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #3,768 of 18,906

I can’t help you with regards to the differences between Hugo 2 or TT 2 as the TT 2 is my first Chord purchase. But I will always use the TT 2 DAC into my Naim Atom now, as to my ears it just sounds better.

Jan 1, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #3,769 of 18,906
hugo 2 is an excellent home dac in desktop mode. hugo2 plus mscaler definitely outperforms tt2 solo. so buy the more effective hugo2 and mscaler to start with and trade in your hugo2 for a tt2 when you can afford to. the hugo2 is a powerful headphone amp and will easily power the more efficient HE1000se. problem solved. enjoy hugo2 with the mscaler till the tt2 arrives. not only does Rob use hugo2/mscaler so do many members here and it has been described as a formidable combo even though it is not as refined or powerful as the tt2/mscaler.

Jan 1, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #3,770 of 18,906
Put on my tt2 tonight. CHG appeared as usual, I left it for a couple of minutes to come to itself, but when I returned, the display said "705". Blind panic ensued & tbh I can't remember which buttons I pressed, but, eventually it corrected itself & has been playing as per usual for a couple of hours. Mean anything to anyone please ?

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #3,771 of 18,906
705kHz is dual bnc mode. you should have white OPSR on mscaler.

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #3,772 of 18,906
hugo 2 is an excellent home dac in desktop mode. hugo2 plus mscaler definitely outperforms tt2 solo. so buy the more effective hugo2 and mscaler to start with and trade in your hugo2 for a tt2 when you can afford to. the hugo2 is a powerful headphone amp and will easily power the more efficient HE1000se. problem solved. enjoy hugo2 with the mscaler till the tt2 arrives. not only does Rob use hugo2/mscaler so do many members here and it has been described as a formidable combo even though it is not as refined or powerful as the tt2/mscaler.

Thanks for your input, I really like this idea! Hadn’t even considered the Hugo 2/mscaler combo. Interesting to know that the Hugo 2 + mscaler outperforms the TT2 by itself. If that’s the case and I’m chasing performance first and foremost for what I can afford right now that might be the ticket.

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #3,773 of 18,906
705kHz is dual bnc mode. you should have white OPSR on mscaler.

Doh, of course ! I don't have an MScaler (yet) but it may be that when I last used the tt2 on Hogmanay, I was playing CD's into BNC input & it got confused. Too much merriment to remember last night very clearly. Of course, it could be fekked, who knows ? Thanks.

Jan 1, 2019 at 4:38 PM Post #3,774 of 18,906

Think of it this way, dac’s come and go and get refreshed every couple of years, Rob’s Mscaler will still be here for years to come, so whatever you do, at one point in life you will probably have a chord dac and an mscaler.

As for speakers, TT2 will be better at that than H2, even with an amp in the loop.

It’s a hard decision to make as they are both excellent devices, actually all 3 are excellent devices, MScaler, H2 and TT2.

:wink:

Jan 1, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #3,775 of 18,906
Honest fair evaluations based on the evidence at hand. that's my way. of course music and our emotional reaction to it through chord gear blows that statement right out of the window and along with it my wallet too!!!:sunglasses:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #3,776 of 18,906

I ran an amp and speakers on my desktop with the H2, but eventually I gave up and stuck with my Nighthawk headphones. That was the only way I could get a nice tonal balance with the H2.

The H2's fullness couldn't match it's transparency. This was fine with meaty headphones like the Nighthawk, but my speaker system was too bright.

I don't know what the mscaler will bring in terms of tonal balance and authority to the H2. But I know for sure the TT2 will address what I didn't enjoy about the H2... it may even allow me to sell my amp too. $$$

The waiting game sure sucks though...

Jan 1, 2019 at 6:57 PM Post #3,777 of 18,906
Doh, of course ! I don't have an MScaler (yet) but it may be that when I last used the tt2 on Hogmanay, I was playing CD's into BNC input & it got confused. Too much merriment to remember last night very clearly. Of course, it could be fekked, who knows ? Thanks.[/QUOT

"705" seems to be displayed every time the volume is changed now. Phone call to Chord when they return from theiir holidays I think. That's what you get when you bore people about how well it was working I suppose.

Jan 1, 2019 at 8:31 PM Post #3,778 of 18,906

I have and it runs the HE1000SE very well though the HE1000SE has been made to be very efficient. I could even power them with my Samsung Galaxy S9. Certainly a huge improvement compared to the HE1000V2 which even the DAVE can't provide enough power to make them sing. Though I'd honestly save up for the TT2. Cable management with the Hugo 2 is a nightmare unless you're using USB and even then you're going to need to get a decent USB cable because the stock clearly doesn't cut it. For portability it's portable moreso in that it's easier to transport from one desk to the next since Bluetooth clearly isn't up to par with the other inputs, the coax input needs a non RCA coax cable end or you have to get a 3.5mm to RCA Y-splitter for it, and if you plan on using the USB you need to make sure nothing moves the Hugo 2 because it's absurdly easy to knock the USB loose and have to reconnect it. I've had mixed results using an OTG cable connecting it to my S9.

Jan 2, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #3,779 of 18,906
3DC1F121-EC47-4BDF-8486-10DB6C7381F5.jpeg
3B7D8291-D9C4-4073-BF21-4D2D0775325B.jpeg
As long as you use the right low profile usb and 1/4 inch connectors it’s pretty damn portable . The electric guitar style flush mount right angle trs finishes out the portability upgrades. Ak320 feeding usb via furutec usb and ted allen custom silver to 64audio A18t. Pretty much endgame for mobile for me at the moment . If I didn’t have a solid professional need for the features offered in the tt2 I would have bailed by now. Still might ...

Jan 2, 2019 at 1:08 AM Post #3,780 of 18,906
Certainly a huge improvement compared to the HE1000V2 which even the DAVE can't provide enough power to make them sing

Yes, the DAVE does have more than enough power for the HE1000v2 (90dB SPL/mW, 35 Ohm), electrically speaking. Making them sing is likely a personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back