Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 27, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #18,391 of 19,012
I have been 100% speakers listening on my system, now I want to get a pair of headphones to use on my TT-2/M Scaler combo for when the kids are asleep, what do you guys recommend? I want a full sound, nothing thin or bright, some recommendations please. No worries about budget, just want something really good.
I'm loving the new Heddphone.

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #18,392 of 19,012
Whatever headphones I get I will never use DSP.
I should definately put the Final D8000 (pro) on your list to audition. Its built like a tank, has a wonderful dynamic range throughout the fr with deep reaching bass.. can dig the last details out and has a convincing stage/depth.
Its the best i heard this far complementing Chord gear.

Its only since i recently took the filter sheets off my HD800's drivers they sound even clearer and my urge to hunt new phones was gone.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #18,393 of 19,012
Dan Clark Stealth then, isn't that What Rob Watts uses?
Rob does use the Stealths. For half the price, DCA just released the E3 and they are very dynamic, more like listening to speakers than any closed back I’ve heard. Also, will keep the sound leakage from disturbing anyone sleeping. Many even prefer them to the Stealths.

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #18,394 of 19,012
Rob does use the Stealths. For half the price, DCA just released the E3 and they are very dynamic, more like listening to speakers than any closed back I’ve heard. Also, will keep the sound leakage from disturbing anyone sleeping. Many even prefer them to the Stealths.
Yep. +1

Dec 27, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #18,396 of 19,012
Interesting, I have to check these out.
I have the Dan Clark Stealth. It has incredible clarity in the high end and I liked it a lot before discovering the HEDDphones, which to me are much more coherent across the whole frequency spectrum than any other headphone I've heard and make other headphones sound more separated bass/mid/treble which I find distracting now. But to each their own, of course.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #18,397 of 19,012
I have the Dan Clark Stealth. It has incredible clarity in the high end and I liked it a lot before discovering the HEDDphones, which to me are much more coherent across the whole frequency spectrum than any other headphone I've heard and make other headphones sound more separated bass/mid/treble which I find distracting now. But to each their own, of course.
Heddphones are great. Open-backed but not as distortion free or detailed or comfortable as the E3. But to each his own, and mine are up for sale if interested.

Dec 27, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #18,398 of 19,012
Hello fantastic group! Can someone tell me if using a linear power supply with the TT2 and M Scaler stack has been successful? Is there a discernible change? Please direct me to the relevant discussion if this has been brought up previously. I am grateful.

Dec 27, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #18,399 of 19,012
Hello fantastic group! Can someone tell me if using a linear power supply with the TT2 and M Scaler stack has been successful? Is there a discernible change? Please direct me to the relevant discussion if this has been brought up previously. I am grateful.
I heared a good impact with a lps on the qutesr, but from what I read less so on a tt2 or mscaler.

Dec 28, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #18,400 of 19,012
The best thing I can suggest is to access the Chord Electronics Owners Club on Facebook. Use the search facility to find just about everything you should need to know.

Type things like "linear psu", "Farad", "Sean Jacobs" into the search and numerous posts should come up. Happy reading!

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #18,401 of 19,012
The best thing I can suggest is to access the Chord Electronics Owners Club on Facebook. Use the search facility to find just about everything you should need to know.

Type things like "linear psu", "Farad", "Sean Jacobs" into the search and numerous posts should come up. Happy reading!
I wouldn’t say a lps of at average 7000 dollar for a lps is a reasonable unit, my opinion things should be in balance. Let’s buy two of those when you add a mscaler to😁

I know people buy it…. But then my opinion is, go look for dacs in the 20000 euro range that surpase the dave or tt2

Dec 28, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #18,402 of 19,012
You are opening a large can of worms, containing hundreds or thousands of posts, spread across several of the Chord threads.
I will be transparent and admit to never having tried a LPS, but most owners that post do state that there is a 'discernible change'.
Unfortunately there is no consensus as to whether this 'discernible change' is a good or bad thing.
You will also find posts recommending powering TT2 and MScaler via battery packs, to prevent RFI being circulated via the power leads.

Without that consensus, a LPS is one of those tweaks that owners have to try, and then make their own minds up about whether it is good or bad.

Dec 28, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #18,403 of 19,012
You are opening a large can of worms, containing hundreds or thousands of posts, spread across several of the Chord threads.
I will be transparent and admit to never having tried a LPS, but most owners that post do state that there is a 'discernible change'.
Unfortunately there is no consensus as to whether this 'discernible change' is a good or bad thing.
You will also find posts recommending powering TT2 and MScaler via battery packs, to prevent RFI being circulated via the power leads.

Without that consensus, a LPS is one of those tweaks that owners have to try, and then make their own minds up about whether it is good or bad.
Very good, but you are being polite!
I shall be a bit blunt.
- The science (& Rob Watts) are against such a practice! it yields no objectively measurable benedit, indeed the opposite is true. Meaning in most cases it is detrimental.
- Regarding RFI, an LPS is noisy. Since it has a ground wire, the chances of ground loop noise is much higher.
- As far as I know, TT2 has super capacitors inside, so even a battery pack won't be any better.
I know it is Fun to tweak this and that, and god knows, I am guilty of that as hell. But rest assured, Rob Watts is a thorough designer. If an LPS was beneficial, he would have put one inside!
Universally, those DAC manufacturers that compete on Noise figures, have adapted SMPS, against LPS.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #18,404 of 19,012

Thanks for your insights, Mike! I guess there are different thoughts on whether or not to use linear power supplies for the TT2 and M Scaler. I better leave the stack in its OG configuration for now. :ksc75smile:

Dec 28, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #18,405 of 19,012
Very good, but you are being polite!
I shall be a bit blunt.
- The science (& Rob Watts) are against such a practice! it yields no objectively measurable benedit, indeed the opposite is true. Meaning in most cases it is detrimental.
- Regarding RFI, an LPS is noisy. Since it has a ground wire, the chances of ground loop noise is much higher.
- As far as I know, TT2 has super capacitors inside, so even a battery pack won't be any better.
I know it is Fun to tweak this and that, and god knows, I am guilty of that as hell. But rest assured, Rob Watts is a thorough designer. If an LPS was beneficial, he would have put one inside!
Universally, those DAC manufacturers that compete on Noise figures, have adapted SMPS, against LPS.
I like the insights, as I am hearing all of them for the first time, which is surely a learning experience for me. I'll remember these lessons and continue using Rob's design. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back