Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 1, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #17,491 of 19,015
Jan 1, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #17,492 of 19,015
The Answer is Yes. Dan Clark used TT2 as reference when making the Stealth.
Music to my ears. I auditioned the expanse previously and spent two hours with them but I’ve not been happy with the amp I bought to run them. The TT2 is a bit of a bucket list component for me but I’ve heard it with headphones and I KNOW how good it really is. Thanks to everyone who’s taken the time to answer my questions.

Jan 2, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #17,494 of 19,015
Except the designer Mr. Watts!
But what does he know anyway . . . .
:smile:
Have you tried it yourself and don't think you hear any difference?

Jan 2, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #17,495 of 19,015
All SS needs and hours. On most it is not that noticable after 30min but an hour makes a difference on all SS I have tried. SPECIALLY TT2!!!

Jan 2, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #17,496 of 19,015
Have you tried it yourself and don't think you hear any difference?
Frankly I have never looked for it, TBH!
I don't believe in warm up on digital circuits, nor in solid state amplification circuits, so I happen not to find it!
The science is against it.
Also Rob Watts has proven to be a very meticulous and thorough designer. He wouldn't allow such random variables to incur.
He takes his time on his designs, leaving no stones unturned.

Jan 3, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #17,497 of 19,015
Frankly I have never looked for it, TBH!
I don't believe in warm up on digital circuits, nor in solid state amplification circuits, so I happen not to find it!
The science is against it.
Also Rob Watts has proven to be a very meticulous and thorough designer. He wouldn't allow such random variables to incur.
He takes his time on his designs, leaving no stones unturned.

You don't have to look for it. If you have the TT2 on for a few hours, you will either hear that it sounds better after a while or not. You would think that someone who writes - Always try to listen in their signature would be a little more open-minded.

Also science is not against achieving optimal temperature. Where did you get that from? If there is one thing that is certain, it is that materials and components are affected by temperature. Everything from water that takes on completely different properties when it freezes or heats up to the combustion effect in an engine made for different fuels.

Jan 3, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #17,498 of 19,015
You don't have to look for it. If you have the TT2 on for a few hours, you will either hear that it sounds better after a while or not. You would think that someone who writes - Always try to listen in their signature would be a little more open-minded.
It also says, after you check the numbers and graphs.
That was an elbow, mostly for pure objectivism .
Also science is not against achieving optimal temperature. Where did you get that from? If there is one thing that is certain, it is that materials and components are affected by temperature. Everything from water that takes on completely different properties when it freezes or heats up to the combustion effect in an engine made for different fuels.
Well science is against audible change in a low powered digital/headphone amp. Of course temperature always changes things, it is by how much? is it going to be audible?
Also, a designer of Rob Watts calibre, would not allow for such a thing! if TT2 being used in Alaska or Africa, it should sound the same! we are not talking about a tube amp here.
A minor change after five seconds, may be, an audible change after a few hours? that's an insult.
This is one of those areas that one's belief plays a large part!
Hence my atheist/non-believer statement.
Perhaps @Rob Watts can chip in.
If anyone knows for sure . . .

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #17,499 of 19,015

Well science is against audible change in a low powered digital/headphone amp. Of course temperature always changes things, it is by how much? is it going to be audible?
Also, a designer of Rob Watts calibre, would not allow for such a thing! if TT2 being used in Alaska or Africa, it should sound the same! we are not talking about a tube amp here.
A minor change after five seconds, may be, an audible change after a few hours? that's an insult.
BS science isn't against audible change in a low powered digital/headphone amp. If you think that there is no gain why don't you get a ASR approved DAC from Topping or Monoprice instead? Then you would at least be consistent.

Instead of asking others, why not listen and see for yourself?

Temperaturkurve-Stimmgabelquarz-1.png

One exempel. https://www.jauch.com/blog/en/ask-the-engineer-how-temperature-sensitive-are-quartz-crystals/

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #17,500 of 19,015
BS science isn't against audible change in a low powered digital/headphone amp. If you think that there is no gain why don't you get a ASR approved DAC from Topping or Monoprice instead? Then you would at least be consistent.

Instead of asking others, why not listen and see for yourself?

Temperaturkurve-Stimmgabelquarz-1.png

One exempel. https://www.jauch.com/blog/en/ask-the-engineer-how-temperature-sensitive-are-quartz-crystals/
I wait to see if Mr. Watts would oblige.
BTW, I did get some ASR approved DACs.
It appears, so did you!
Haven't you heard? all Chord DACs have passed ASR's extra critical measurements and tests with flying colours.
Peace.

Jan 3, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #17,502 of 19,015
I wait to see if Mr. Watts would oblige.
BTW, I did get some ASR approved DACs.
It appears, so did you!
Haven't you heard? all Chord DACs have passed ASR's extra critical measurements and tests with flying colours.
Peace.
All the Chord DACs have landed in their top DACs section, then it is so funny to see man try to dissuade people from buying them, because his Chi-Fi stuff keeps coming, seems like every month there is a new model 😂

Jan 3, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #17,503 of 19,015
All the Chord DACs have landed in their top DACs section, then it is so funny to see man try to dissuade people from buying them, because his Chi-Fi stuff keeps coming, seems like every month there is a new model 😂
ASR objects to two things regarding Chord DACs.
1- the price. they argue cheaper DACs sound just as good (so far I am not convinced)
2- Rob Watts claims regarding audible benefits of the pulse array topology.
Indeed first one is an assumption on invalidity of the second!
If indeed the pulse array topology and Rob Watts designs get accepted as superior , then the price is not high.
So in reality, it is all about RW deep down .
Frankly, I do own a Topping DX7 pro desktop dac. It is good, very good, and I paid only pittance for it in a used but pristine condition, so I am not complaining.
But the ultimate SQ vs my Hugo2 ?
Hugo2 wins 9 out of ten.
The one time it doesn't is music type related! The Topping sounds a bit softer, which matches some recordings.

Jan 3, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #17,504 of 19,015
ASR objects to two things regarding Chord DACs.
1- the price. they argue cheaper DACs sound just as good (so far I am not convinced)
2- Rob Watts claims regarding audible benefits of the pulse array topology.
Indeed first one is an assumption on invalidity of the second!
If indeed the pulse array topology and Rob Watts designs get accepted as superior , then the price is not high.
So in reality, it is all about RW deep down .
Frankly, I do own a Topping DX7 pro desktop dac. It is good, very good, and I paid only pittance for it in a used but pristine condition, so I am not complaining.
But the ultimate SQ vs my Hugo2 ?
Hugo2 wins 9 out of ten.
The one time it doesn't is music type related! The Topping sounds a bit softer, which matches some recordings.
I love that you say it how it is, I tried some of the stuff they talk about and it fatigues my ears. Can't take it, I'll stay with Rob Watts regardless of what they say, or write.

Jan 4, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #17,505 of 19,015

My experience of warm-up period is limited, as all my desktop DACs are powered 24/7. But when using my portable DACs (with or without Hugo M scaler) when on flights, things do sound a bit bright and flat in soundstage for the first 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, the sound is warmer with better depth - everything snaps into focus. Now this maybe my ears settling in to the pressure equivalent of 6,000 feet altitude, or the headphones, or the DACs themselves.

As to measurements, the DACs measure identically from cold. But measurements only tell you how bad something is, not how good it is. The kind of subjective effect warm-up creates would easily be obtained from effects that are well below -200 dB - something that will never be measurable with analogue hardware.

@Rob Watts can you respond to the questions about temperature and your DACs? Do your DACs sound better after warm up, or not? Did you test different temperatures and how that affects sound quality?

Temperature (and other effects) can have huge measurable problems, and my DACs 30 years ago all measured differently with time of day or break-in, with some needing hand tweaks to get consistent results. These issues with DACs are myriad, and it's something I have eliminated - certainly from a measurement perspective. Given my comments above, 10 minutes for SQ warm-up with no break-in period is not something I worry about, so I would say this issue is not a problem. Next time I am listening to a cold desktop DAC I will check to see if there is any warm-up problems, as I rather suspect my issues are down to planes rather than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back