Hugo TT 2 by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 26, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #17,476 of 19,009
Like many people I'm considering a Qutest -> TT2 upgrade, but I'm specifically interested in the differences as a pure DAC, and when using external upsampling.

I don't have an HMS, but with my Qutest I use HQPlayer to upsample to 768Khz, which is converted to dual-BNC input with an SRC-DX. I also use an external power supply (iPower Elite), as well as various other source optimizations (optical isolation, HF filtering, etc).

Under these circumstances:

1. Because of external upsampling the difference in taps between the Qutest & TT2 should be totally irrelevant.
2. The iPower Elite is a very good power supply, and TT2's supercaps should not be any major advantage, and may even be worse.

Given that both DACs have a 10e pulse array, I'm wondering what might contribute to better performance of a TT2 in this scenario vs. a (Qutest + Anni) combination. If none, I could simply get an Anni for my Qutest instead of a TT2: a much cheaper proposition.
Anni pairing with qutest is really good

Dec 27, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #17,477 of 19,009
Accordingly to woke culture. You behave out of the norm. You broke the matrix code. We will cancel you. We are the people with the lowest self esteem, we don’t like to be reminded of this.

Thanks in advance
I will look into this and find out more. Im just a yorkshireman who enjoys music and decent gear to listen to it on. Hence owning the tt2 and a mojo 2 and im a very happy fella!.

Dec 27, 2022 at 4:21 AM Post #17,478 of 19,009
Thats a good move but the TT2 has a better headphone amplifier
True ..until Dave gets the addon discribed in my signature link for €25 only..😁

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #17,479 of 19,009
If turned off, how long does it take for the TT2 to "warm up" when turned back on? In other words, does the sound quality suffer if power cycled vs being left on all the time? How much time does the TT2 need to sound great if it's been powered down?

Dec 31, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #17,480 of 19,009
If turned off, how long does it take for the TT2 to "warm up" when turned back on? In other words, does the sound quality suffer if power cycled vs being left on all the time? How much time does the TT2 need to sound great if it's been powered down?
@SunRa Fan IMHO and based on its internal design it sounds the same for whole time. At least this is my experience. This also applies to TT2 with M-Scaler. I guess a lot of people have paired TT2 with external amps and they may need some operational time before producing optimal sound. For me this is one many TT2 advantages: it sounds great just after switching it on.

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #17,481 of 19,009
@SunRa Fan IMHO and based on its internal design it sounds the same for whole time. At least this is my experience. This also applies to TT2 with M-Scaler. I guess a lot of people have paired TT2 with external amps and they may need some operational time before producing optimal sound. For me this is one many TT2 advantages: it sounds great just after switching it on.
A lot of people here say the TT-2 and all Chord DACs sound better after they warm up.

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #17,482 of 19,009
A lot of people here say the TT-2 and all Chord DACs sound better after they warm up.
Except the designer Mr. Watts!
But what does he know anyway . . . .
:smile:

Dec 31, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #17,483 of 19,009
Can the TT2 properly drive a DCA Expanse? Are there any TT2 owners who can attest to this?

Dec 31, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #17,485 of 19,009
The answer is yes. But you will find they will scale up very well with more power and current.
Does this mean that the TT2 is not an ideal pairing for the Expanse?

Jan 1, 2023 at 5:14 AM Post #17,489 of 19,009

Except the designer Mr. Watts!
But what does he know anyway . . . .
:smile:
I dont understand anything really on the technical side of things but when Mr.Watts says the TT2 takes around 15 minutes to warm up and reach its peak sound quality, then yes I can get my head around that piece of information. This was in the very very early pages of this thread not long after the TT2 release.

Jan 1, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #17,490 of 19,009
Can the TT2 properly drive a DCA Expanse? Are there any TT2 owners who can attest to this?
The Answer is Yes. Dan Clark used TT2 as reference when making the Stealth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back