Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 9, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #18,061 of 18,478
I also guess @Rob Watts DAC's arent fool proof and ofc his buffer can be over/underrun when going extreme. But i think hes built in enough margin to hardly become a problem in most usecases. I do read his DPLL deployed a unique correction meganism.

Perhaps he can chime in on that one.
Chord uses a PLL so buffer overrun/underrun wouldn't be an issue

Feb 9, 2024 at 8:09 PM Post #18,062 of 18,478
Really bad SPDIF source:
1707513583245.png

This is way better than most DACs, and especially excellent considering this is a small portable device!
Many wouldn't even lock to the source used on the last one and the second one they'd show much higher jitter.
But the word 'immune' isn't really applicable.
Haha. You set a very high bar for immune. But point well taken. Thanks for showing the measurements.

Feb 9, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #18,063 of 18,478
Just as a demo on the Mojo 2

Very low jitter SPDIF source:
1707513419091.png

Moderate jitter SPDIF source:
1707513572727.png

Really bad SPDIF source:
1707513583245.png

This is way better than most DACs, and especially excellent considering this is a small portable device!
Many wouldn't even lock to the source used on the last one and the second one they'd show much higher jitter.
Since this is below the threshold of audibility, it basically is immune, try that one of those Chi-Fi crap DACs, I want to see that.

Feb 9, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #18,064 of 18,478
Since this is below the threshold of audibility, it basically is immune, try that one of those Chi-Fi crap DACs, I want to see that.
Sure but you can then say the same for 99% of dacs on the market

Feb 9, 2024 at 9:54 PM Post #18,066 of 18,478
Sure, but not as good as this.
I mean the best one I've tested in terms of PLL Jitter rejection is the May, which is Chinese.

Im not sure why you have a strong aversion to stuff from China?

Feb 9, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #18,067 of 18,478
I mean the best one I've tested in terms of PLL Jitter rejection is the May, which is Chinese.

Im not sure why you have a strong aversion to stuff from China?
Because so far all I've heard from there is terrible including that Holo May, I listened to that DAC and it was downright mediocre. It was so boring and bland it put me to sleep, it could work as insomnia medication if I ever need it that's for sure.

Feb 10, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #18,068 of 18,478

Really bad SPDIF source:

So as we see with any decent source jitter is not a concern.

As it is with any decent dac for quite some time.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2024 at 7:56 AM Post #18,069 of 18,478

1707513419091.png

1707513572727.png

Really bad SPDIF source:
1707513583245.png

Thanks for the excellent information and explanation. The next obvious question is how will we know if we have a "good" SPDIF source? Is it reasonable to assume a well reviewed CD player / transport or streamer will provide reasonably low jitter data? My sources are Cambridge Audio CXC CD transport and WiiM Pro streamer. I am assuming those are good, but haven't seen any reviews of either that provide measurements of jitter output.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #18,070 of 18,478
I have read up extensively on the way CD transports do error correction. Basically using a fairly complex buffer algorithm that can reconstruct data even where some data is unreadable or where it has to re-read a sector more than once, and then reclocking it at the output. CDs even include redundancy:

"CDs have checksums – each 2352-byte sector stores 288 bytes of ECC data for every 2048 bytes of user data, allowing some read errors to be detected and sometimes fixed automatically."

So hopefully a good CD transport will reclock data well with minimal jitter. But the customer is unlikely to know that unless a review includes measurements.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #18,071 of 18,478
I have read up extensively on the way CD transports do error correction. Basically using a fairly complex buffer algorithm that can reconstruct data even where some data is unreadable or where it has to re-read a sector more than once, and then reclocking it at the output. CDs even include redundancy:

"CDs have checksums – each 2352-byte sector stores 288 bytes of ECC data for every 2048 bytes of user data, allowing some read errors to be detected and sometimes fixed automatically."

So hopefully a good CD transport will reclock data well with minimal jitter. But the customer is unlikely to know that unless a review includes measurements.
I read that too, it's fascinating how it all works.

Feb 10, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #18,072 of 18,478

Really bad SPDIF source:
1707513583245.png

Is this a result published in an article? Just curious whether the connection scheme was described somewhere. USB? Optical? Was Mojo 2 running on battery power?

Also wondering whether you used different devices to produce the three different graphs. Curious how reproducible your test is, e.g. for Rob. Maybe you've already discussed it with him?

Feb 10, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #18,073 of 18,478
The SRC-DX is made to be able to feed a 705.6/768k signal into a Chord DAC with a dual BNC data input and to take processing load off the USB chip of the DAC. (so it will generate less internal noise)

It has few use as an input device for Mscaler as the scaler becomes redundant if you feed it 705.6/768k.

Better is to use toslink into the scaler to isolate electrically from your streamer.
You can still use the src-dx to feed your mscaler native 44/48/96 etc signal (you do not nessecarily need two cables then) without upsampling, just to replace USB. I do as I have TV and chromecast toslink (for Spotify). Isolation comes from reactcores optical solution between mscaler and tt2, but that is another story.

Feb 10, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #18,074 of 18,478
I started by using the USB input of the MScaler from the PC. Than I bought a Nod2i and connected to the MScaler using Coax (with an adaptor RCA-BNC). The digital connection was much more natural sounding to me. Then I bought an Innuos server and returned to the USB connection into the MScaler; found it better the the PC but it still had a little glare, "artificial" kind of sound so then I tried the SrcDX with Wave Ref. cables and that changed everything for the good. I then tried the Singer SU-6 (with the included power supply or with the SBooster LPS) in place of the SrcDx and I preferred the SrcDx and that is what I use currently. I tried both the BNC and the optical output from the SU-6 and found zero difference between them. But the Src-Dx sounded better to me. My DAC is the Chord TT2 (connected by dual BNC Wave Ref cables to the MScaler). I preferred to invest in the Wave BNC cables to avoid the dual box plus 2 power supplies plus all the cable mess for the OptoDx.
Thank you for the details. I’m deciding between a Douk U2 XU208 USB to toslink optical converter using a new Lifatec glass cable or the SRC-DX with an AQ Carbon digital coax cable I have on-hand.

Or I may do nothing because it sounds so good right now. About 100 listening hours ago I upgraded several digital cables to Shunyata Alpha XC. Aurender streamer USB to MScaler and satellite router Ethernet to the streamer. I had previously upgraded the cable modem to main router Ethernet cable. It’s been a real ear opener! I‘ve gone through several different cables in these positions. Nothing has come close to these improvements and it made me want more.

Feb 11, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #18,075 of 18,478
Because so far all I've heard from there is terrible including that Holo May, I listened to that DAC and it was downright mediocre. It was so boring and bland it put me to sleep, it could work as insomnia medication if I ever need it that's for sure.
I have both Dave and May connected to the same source and amp/headphone. May is an excellent DAC for the price, and I prefer it over Dave.

IMG_3216.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back