Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 1, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #17,521 of 18,485
Received email from Chord today saying that because of improvements in the supply chain, with many components returning to pre-Covid prices, they are able to reduce prices on the following products:

Mojo 2……….Reduced by £100
Poly…………Reduced by £100
Qutest………Reduced by £200
Hugo TT2………Reduced by £1000
Hugo M Scaler……Reduced by £700

They could have left them priced as they were and they would have still sold. Bonus points for bringing it back.

Sep 2, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #17,523 of 18,485
You'd better ask him what he thought of me.
He initially went into a "bare fists" fighting position when he had just realised who I was ,the second time we met in Singapore.
After that "dangerous encounter", I added a second C here" Controversial Christer".
Cheers CC

My recollections was of a very gentlemanly conversation, and I certainly felt more positive about him after meeting up.

Who knows he may have some knuckle irons ready next time we meet?
Cheers CC

Certainly not!

Oddly enough, in spirit at least, we are in agreement - that is providing audiophiles with as high a musical (that is emotionally engaging) performance as possible with value. I too get sickened with some (or perhaps most or almost all?) high end products at ridiculous prices with very poor technical and sound quality abilities, with huge profit margins, but that sell and are promoted by the establishment media - who profit from these brands in one way or another. The great thing about forums such as Head-Fi is that it democratises reviewing - although one has to be careful with shilling posters and persons with other agendas - and I can directly communicate with people. It's no coincidence that the success of Chord started with the growth of social media.

Anyway, I can't change the audio industry - I just simply want to radically improve performance at all price points, and fortunately I still have lots of things to keep me busy and excited.

Sep 2, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #17,524 of 18,485
It's no coincidence that the success of Chord started with the growth of social media.
This is so true.
I would never knew about your designs if i were not lurking on this site.

It put me on track of Mojo1, and although i was a treble head at the time finding my AK120 DAP's abstract sound more impressive.. i couldnt ignore my ears hearing 'reality'. I was urged to find out more and cant be grateful enough.

Anyway, I can't change the audio industry - I just simply want to radically improve performance at all price points, and fortunately I still have lots of things to keep me busy and excited.
I hope you still have enough time to enjoy the music :)

Sep 2, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #17,525 of 18,485
My recollections was of a very gentlemanly conversation, and I certainly felt more positive about him after meeting up.

Certainly not!

Oddly enough, in spirit at least, we are in agreement - that is providing audiophiles with as high a musical (that is emotionally engaging) performance as possible with value. I too get sickened with some (or perhaps most or almost all?) high end products at ridiculous prices with very poor technical and sound quality abilities, with huge profit margins, but that sell and are promoted by the establishment media - who profit from these brands in one way or another. The great thing about forums such as Head-Fi is that it democratises reviewing - although one has to be careful with shilling posters and persons with other agendas - and I can directly communicate with people. It's no coincidence that the success of Chord started with the growth of social media.

Keep up the good work Rob, yesterday I listened to the TT-2 and M Scaler over 6 hours straight at zero ear fatigue and completely engaged tapping my feet. I know that is your goal and you're accomplishing it.

Sep 3, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #17,529 of 18,485
At a talk by an expert from Audio Precision, he asked if they could make the UI simpler as he keeps making mistakes when using them.

Sep 9, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #17,530 of 18,485
Chord did additional RF testing and responded back to me that they found only a small blip at 433 MHz which is the most common garage door opener frequency. My garage door opener frequency is 315MHz. It doesn’t matter because they asked me to test with the RF blocking fabric removed from beneath the Mscaler but with the IR port covered. I did it and the garage door opener still worked. i then removed the RF block fabric from the IR port and the garage door opener still worked. It’s worked now for over a week. My theory that a neighbor was using an RFI emitting device, and now has stopped, may be what happened.

The silver lining in all of this is that I took the now unnecessary RF block fabric (2 layers) and hung it from the side of my equipment rack between the Mscaler and the router. Wow! My digital is now as smooth as my analog. No harshness at all. I didn’t expect that powerful of a change. Those of you with a router near your Mscaler and DAC may wish to try this.

A big thank you to Chord for the excellent customer support!
I recently bought and installed a new audio rack. Doing so enabled me to rearrange some components, most important was that the router is now another 12 inches farther from the M-Scaler (HMS). And I didn’t reattach the RF blocking fabric to the side of the rack. This means all I needed was another 12 inches of separation between the HMS and the router to prevent the RF noise caused by the router/wireless access point (as referenced in the above quote).

Sep 9, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #17,531 of 18,485
Can someone comment on what power supply upgrade they use with the M Scaler? I am not interested in batteries. Does anyone use the IFI Elite power supply?
@GuiltyRocker did you upgrade the power supply for your M-Scaler? I’m interested in the same iFi Elite. However, I thought the M-Scaler uses a 15v power supply. Why is everyone talking about 12v power supplies? I’m also openminded to a linear power supply.

Sep 9, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #17,532 of 18,485
@GuiltyRocker did you upgrade the power supply for your M-Scaler? I’m interested in the same iFi Elite. However, I thought the M-Scaler uses a 15v power supply. Why is everyone talking about 12v power supplies? I’m also openminded to a linear power supply.

Sbooster or Farad Super 3 would be a good choice.

Sep 9, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #17,533 of 18,485
IIRC the MS runs fine between 9 to 15 volts.

Sep 9, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #17,534 of 18,485
Sbooster or Farad Super 3 would be a good choice.
Yes, thanks! I own two Sboosters and have read about the Farad. I have a iFi Elite on a router and was pleasantly surprised at the improvement it brings even to a router. However, I’ve also found that improvement if I just plug the router into a good power conditioner..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back