Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Aug 30, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #17,506 of 18,535
So would I, But Rob's own teaser already at Canjam 2018 in Singapore of a possible Hugo 3 with "mscaling onboard" currently seems like a VERY distant probably only a "mythical beast" as far as I have been able to interpret his more recent takes on his own prediction from 2018.
I fear that only the select few for whom Money is no object, will be catered for, in the next few years and longer than that.
I fail to grasp why with my limited understanding of what mscaling needs to work optimally more, than OPTIMAL coding on one, or more FPGA chips? Are those FPGA chips really that expensive?
Oh right, forgot the RFI aspect which to my ears clearly needed improved better insulated BNC cabling, than the supplied one on my Mscaler. But what is there really about mscaling that needs such big heavy superexpensive Superluxury "Designer Casings" that again from my VERY limited understanding can have much or anything vital at all to add to how the next version of mscaling will actually sound??
Apart from that much much higher price involved?
Cheers CC

I don’t mind there being an option for the very high end if that’s what people want to spend their money on but following on from that I think the biggest bonus for many of us is that whatever Rob has learned when given a larger canvas (bigger budget) is that it could be incorporated in to the cheaper products and trickling down in some way or another.

Aug 31, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #17,507 of 18,535
I think the main thing I would like to see is an updated 2go that can implement the Eq function of the mojo 2. Would be nice to be able to have eq on the Hugo and then put with the 2go/2yu to have eq on a home system. This is something I would be really interested in buying. I like the eq of the mojo 2 but since I have a Hugo 2 I don't really want to buy a mojo 2 but I think a 2go with eq would be great for me.

Another thing that would be cool with this is I could leave my 2go v1 attached to the Hugo 2 since I don't do really critical listening on mobile and leave the 2go v2 on my desktop system with the 2Yu and then I don't have to find the wrench when I want to bring my headphones so it would be a really nice use case for the old version.

Aug 31, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #17,509 of 18,535
"I fear that only the select few for whom Money is no object, will be catered for, in the next few years and longer than that."

Perhaps there's a boon that you're not noticing: When Dave owners replace their Hugo M Scalers with Choral M Scalers, owners of Qutest and TT2 will see used HMSs on sale at favorable prices!
Hmm, what you just noticed is not something I haven't noticed. And good luck to those who can benefit from that situation when it happens. Personally I already have an Mscaler. I bought one as soon as they were launched at a decent price in
SE-Asia. Essential with my humble Qutest. But travelling with a big bulky Mscaler is a pia.A Hugo 3 with AN EVEN BETTER SCALER ONBOARD , now that would be like having "my prayers answered". But unfortunately not very likely within the next few years I fear. Can't help thinking of both Rowan Atkinsson and Woody Allen having said that. Anyway, I do know Rob exists. I have met him twice in Singapore.

Cheers CC

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #17,510 of 18,535
Hmm, what you just noticed is not something I haven't noticed. And good luck to those who can benefit from that situation when it happens. Personally I already have an Mscaler. I bought one as soon as they were launched at a decent price in
SE-Asia. Essential with my humble Qutest. But travelling with a big bulky Mscaler is a pia.A Hugo 3 with AN EVEN BETTER SCALER ONBOARD , now that would be like having "my prayers answered". But unfortunately not very likely withinin the next few years I fear. Can't help thinking of both Rowan Atkinsson and Woody Allen having said that. Anyway, I do know Rob exists. I have met him twice in Singapore.

Cheers CC
What did you think of Rob when you met him?

Sep 1, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #17,513 of 18,535
Received email from Chord today saying that because of improvements in the supply chain, with many components returning to pre-Covid prices, they are able to reduce prices on the following products:

Mojo 2……….Reduced by £100
Poly…………Reduced by £100
Qutest………Reduced by £200
Hugo TT2………Reduced by £1000
Hugo M Scaler……Reduced by £700

Sep 1, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #17,514 of 18,535
Received email from Chord today saying that because of improvements in the supply chain, with many components returning to pre-Covid prices, they are able to reduce prices on the following products:

Mojo 2……….Reduced by £100
Poly…………Reduced by £100
Qutest………Reduced by £200
Hugo TT2………Reduced by £1000
Hugo M Scaler……Reduced by £700
I got this email too. Nice price cuts.

Just a little puzzled why there is nothing mentioned for 2go, Hugo 2, and DAVE...

Sep 1, 2023 at 5:11 AM Post #17,515 of 18,535
I got this email too. Nice price cuts.

Just a little puzzled why there is nothing mentioned for 2go, Hugo 2, and DAVE...
Speculation:
  • variety of part types (e.g. batteries versus FPGAs)
  • quantity of stock that Chord had built-up before supply chain issues
  • quantity of stock purchased at higher prices that remains available

Sep 1, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #17,516 of 18,535
What did you think of Rob when you met him?
You'd better ask him what he thought of me.
He initially went into a "bare fists" fighting position when he had just realised who I was ,the second time we met in Singapore.
After that "dangerous encounter", I added a second C here" Controversial Christer".
Cheers CC

Sep 1, 2023 at 6:43 AM Post #17,517 of 18,535
He initially went into a "bare fists" fighting position when he had just realised who I was ,the second time we met in Singapore.
After that "dangerous encounter", I added a second C here" Controversial Christer".
Cheers CC
From memory of the change in style/tone of your posts, before and after you met Rob, it felt like a bromance had started. :relaxed:

Sep 1, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #17,519 of 18,535
Speculation:
  • variety of part types (e.g. batteries versus FPGAs)
  • quantity of stock that Chord had built-up before supply chain issues
  • quantity of stock purchased at higher prices that remains available
Good speculations, though.

Sep 1, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #17,520 of 18,535
Cheers CC
Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back