Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 17, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #17,147 of 18,587
I'll be at Munich. It'll be interesting to see if any of the exhibitors are using them. Whether they are or not will be a good clue about how well they work.
Can you or anyone else that goes there record Rob's seminar?.. if he gives one
Many would be grateful

May 17, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #17,149 of 18,587
May 18, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #17,150 of 18,587
Can you or anyone else that goes there record Rob's seminar?.. if he gives one
Many would be grateful
Sadly, I won't be attending Munich High-End show, for a number of reasons - one being that I have a huge amount of work on to complete new projects!

I will be attending London CanJam, then Socal and finally the Dallas CanJams this year.

May 18, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #17,151 of 18,587
Sadly, I won't be attending Munich High-End show, for a number of reasons - one being that I have a huge amount of work on to complete new projects!

I will be attending London CanJam, then Socal and finally the Dallas CanJams this year.
Excellent!
See you at London CanJam Rob!
Looking forward to any announcements you may have for us.
May the Force be with you...

May 18, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #17,153 of 18,587
Take all the time you need.. no rushing
.. for the sake of best sound quality you can be proud of😉 in the end patience always pays off.

May 19, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #17,154 of 18,587
Real Mscaler magic on the original RBCD of this album.. btw its Stereo

Screenshot_20230427-153416_foobar2000 controller PRO.jpg

Last edited:
May 26, 2023 at 5:56 AM Post #17,159 of 18,587
Thanks very much!
Only the Bixpower has an output that is untainted by a DC-DC convertor.

So there is no known equivalent to the Bixpower.

Bixpower ships to the UK, presumably Europe too.

So I have now tested the Bixpower BP90-12v against the Krisdonia NJF-2 and my very old Poweradd Pilot Pro 2.

Firstly I fully charged it, and ran it into a Hugo M scaler using the 12v unregulated OPs. This gave nearly 10 hours usage (against the Krisdonia of just over 5 hours). This is better than the quoted 100W/hr. Incidentally, I am worried it might get confiscated by airport security as the label says 100W/hr and the limit is 100W/hr. Whether the limit is greater than 100W/hr or includes 100W/hr is unclear. I have printed off Amazon spec sheet which states 99.6 W/hr just in case I get into an argument. Anyway, I won't need to worry about re-charging the powerbank on very long flights now. Incidentally, you can charge and use the 12v OP at the same time.

Listening tests - I ran the listening tests with a Hugo 2 in battery mode, in order to replicate my flights, which is the usage mode of the powerbank.

Against the Krsidonia, the Bixpower was the clear winner - better instrument separation and focus, better depth, and a warmer sound quality.

Against the Poweradd pilot pro 2 it was very much less clear cut. The Poweradd on some tracks made little or no difference against the Bixpower. On other tracks the Bixpower was slightly better, sounding slightly warmer with better depth.

So it's clear to me that the problem is with the Krisdonia, in that it's not got a quality voltage to voltage converter - unlike the Poweradd Pilot pro 2. Unfortunately, the Poweradd is not available any more.

The best solution for flying with the Hugo M scaler is the Bixpower BP90-12v - but it's expensive as it cost, including VAT, shipping and customs some £256 to import it into the UK. I just hope I doesn't get confiscated by an overzealous security guard!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back