Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Mar 13, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #16,981 of 18,490
Actually, it is a PC.
Don’t be facetious. We all know what I meant. And I don’t think it fits the “multipurpose” function of a PC. Regardless, it’s low noise design is what gives it such an edge over a thing that sits on your desk and does heaps of stuff. It’s why I liked a recent comment where someone described building their own low noise, minimum use computer for streaming.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #16,983 of 18,490
Of course it’s a computer. What’s your point? It’s specifically designed for the job to be low noise in every way. It’s most definitely not a PC or a laptop or a MacBook.
I used a Bryson BDP-4 with 3 alimentation and 2 USB BUS. For 5000 Euros.
It is a good computer With the Linux OS.
But the ethernet noise go to the 220V and kill the Dave.
The Bryson has a SSD drive.
The first time that the user stream a song, the song is stores on this SSD.
The second time, the user play the song, the Bryston read the files on the SSD and the ethernet is not used.
The difference between, the first and second reading is audible.
So for me, the price is not enough and the goal of the constructor to send a good usb signal could be perfect but if the streamer send noise to the 220V,
a power cable for 1000 euros will conduct the noise perfectly to the Dave and kill the quality.
If you place ferrites and filter on the 220V cables and you can not detect a difference then you will make the demonstration that the low noise is in every way.
Actually, I have an Aurender N100H designed to be perfect with usb 2 bus. With the Aurender optical convertor, it is better than usb. So the audio usb bus is not perfect.
But It send always noise to 220V.
I place a Wifi bridge ( on power bank) to remove the Ethernet noise from the RJ45 cable of the rooter but it is not enough.
To use with the Hugo2, this setup is perfect but with the Dave, the noise is audible.
My best solution about noise for Dave and HMS is the 2Go 2YU. With the 2YU, the BNC signal is as good that the optical one.
The 192kHz optical of the 2YU works sometimes. I had never tried the port USB.
I would like to have a good PC but i am tired to loose my time in research and test of a good one.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #16,984 of 18,490
Don’t be facetious. We all know what I meant. And I don’t think it fits the “multipurpose” function of a PC. Regardless, it’s low noise design is what gives it such an edge over a thing that sits on your desk and does heaps of stuff. It’s why I liked a recent comment where someone described building their own low noise, minimum use computer for streaming.
I wasn't trying to be facetious. There will be some people who are confused about what a streamer/server is and not all of them are literally PCs. The implementation is relevant and that's where the focus should be.

Mar 14, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #16,985 of 18,490
I wasn't trying to be facetious. There will be some people who are confused about what a streamer/server is and not all of them are literally PCs. The implementation is relevant and that's where the focus should be.
But what we call “PC” does carry with it certain assumptions about firm and function. Streamers as a whole have left that behind. It’s a bit much to call audio specific computers a PC. We don’t call auto-specific computers PCs.

Mar 14, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #16,986 of 18,490
server = where you store music and connecting either to your streamer or your dac directly via USB or other digital interface
streamer = no internal storage but is connected to a server (usually via network) and streamer would output to a dac via USB or other digital interface
streaming player/renderer = no internal storage but is connected to a server (usually via network) and has an internal dac. The output of the player would connect directly to a power amp or pre-amp (if doesn't have volume control function)
streaming amp = no internal storage but is connected either to a server or streamer. The output of the amp would connect directly to the speakers.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #16,987 of 18,490
I've been on the fence with my dealer for a long time on the zenith 3 or a lumin for a long time. The feedback on them here seems so inconsistent that it almost seems totally dependent on the situation. Some people say they hear no difference at all, others huge differences. I should probably just bite the bullet to see for myself, but the inconsistency is what has made me hold off.

I didn't find the USB Phoenix to make as drastic of a difference for me as it did for others, will definitely be a bit frustrated if it's the same case with the Zenith.

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:34 AM Post #16,988 of 18,490
How about an Innuos Pulsar... best of both worlds..

Mar 15, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #16,989 of 18,490
With the Innuos streamer you need patience for it to complete the burn-in. For me it took more than 2 weeks of daily running. The same for the Phoenix USB and NET.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #16,990 of 18,490
We have covered running the MS off of a battery, but what about the TT2.

For those that have MS/TT2 combo, what are you using for the TT2, its supplied power supply, a linear power supply, or some other solution altogether?

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #16,991 of 18,490
We have covered running the MS off of a battery, but what about the TT2.

For those that have MS/TT2 combo, what are you using for the TT2, its supplied power supply, a linear power supply, or some other solution altogether?

IMO, you will get little to no benefit since the TT2 already runs off the internal super-capacitors which are basically batteries.

Mar 16, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #16,992 of 18,490
Farad Super3 changed the sound for me....noticeably...significantly, for the better.

Mar 16, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #16,995 of 18,490
Or, it may be degrading the sound? Rob tried it on a car battery and there was barely any difference, how can a power supply be better than a car battery?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back