Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 26, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #16,847 of 18,535
I have been considering trying one of these batteries to run my mscaler, and i figured i would leave it on all the time, and any time i wasnt listening I would plug the battery in to charge, and when i was listening i would unplug it. no need to constantly turn off the mscaler

Would that wear the battery pack down being constantly on charge though?

Feb 26, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #16,848 of 18,535
Would that wear the battery pack down being constantly on charge though?
If you use an intelligent charger that manages the charging of the battery properly then that is not a problem.

Plus you can use LiFePO4 batteries which have a much longer life than Li-Ion in terms of number of recharge cycles and discharge depth.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #16,849 of 18,535
I've ROYPOW 30Ah LiFePO4 with roypow 3A charger, 200 euro when bought. Lesser Ah might be good too. No storm wave cables used.
Link to amazon

Important is that when forgetting about gears ON, the batt has an internal BMS that cuts out the power to not drag it empty, the roypow has that. IIRC 10 volts??

If leaving it charged for long times, it floats at 14.5 volts. While theoretically safe, something tells me to not do this like for week(s).
But the 30Ah covers so much playing time there's no need to worry about keeping it full, I've an automotive simple dashboard voltmeter on it and I start charging it when 13V or below.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #16,851 of 18,535
FWIW, I don't like these usb to optical converters, they can actually add some noise and are very cheap quality. And, the one that you have to plug in to mains defeats the purpose and can just inject more AC noise. You're better off using USB in to the M Scaler unless your source (streamer or computer) has a direct optical out, then use optical in to the M Scaler
This is interesting because Rob Watts himself said the optimal way to run it is optical and battery to M-Scaler to Dave Dual BNC.

Feb 26, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #16,852 of 18,535
This is interesting because Rob Watts himself said the optimal way to run it is optical and battery to M-Scaler to Dave Dual BNC.
Direct optical if the source has it, but not through a USB to optical converter.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #16,855 of 18,535
New HMS user question:

Is it normal to have the OP SR orb illuminated when the HMS is not being used [standby mode]? Mine is illuminated persistently even when the TT2 and HMS are not being used.

Feb 26, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #16,856 of 18,535
New HMS user question:

Is it normal to have the OP SR orb illuminated when the HMS is not being used [standby mode]? Mine is illuminated persistently even when the TT2 and HMS are not being used.
Yep, that stays on all the time.

Feb 26, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #16,857 of 18,535
I just ordered the Bix power battery for the M Scaler, looking forward to hear what fuss is about.
With the Bix, do you use its supplied cable to go directly into HMS? When you've received it, would you mind posting pictures of it connected to your HMS? And, your impressions, of course. 😃

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #16,858 of 18,535
Has anyone tried something like this power strip instead of battery packs? It does apparently have some RFI/EMI noise attenuation. Seems like a way more convenient solution than worrying about a battery all the time. (This one is also MOV-less which is supposed to sound the best).

https://www.amazon.com/Furman-SS6B-Power-Conditioner/dp/B0002D017M/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3DACSJ1RJXGJ5&keywords=furman+power+conditioner&qid=1677453930&sprefix=furman,aps,221&sr=8-3&th=1

71SUp5KJrPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #16,859 of 18,535
With the Bix, do you use its supplied cable to go directly into HMS? When you've received it, would you mind posting pictures of it connected to your HMS? And, your impressions, of course. 😃
I'll post my impressions, it's inconvenient to keep using a battery, but if the jump in quality is justified I'll keep charging the battery. I may go S Booster MK2 though, A lot of people have said it's fantastic with both the Qutest and M Scaler.

Feb 26, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #16,860 of 18,535
Those of you running the M Scaler off a battery how do you deal with it turning on and off all the time because I would think it needs probably at least 10 minutes of warm-up time before sounding optimal. When you use it normally without a battery pack, it’s on standby all the time.
I never turn off my Mscaler. Bixpower has pass-through. I plug in mine when I am not listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back