Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 10, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #15,301 of 18,489
just for the lolZ of asking, has anyone constructed/purchased a farady cage to place the Mscaler, Opto-DX transmitter, and 12v battery inside of?

or even a subset of the above items? leave the battery outside of the cage and run the optical cables to the receiver out of the cage. One could even craft sockets on the box to connect the inside with the outside.

Yea lets create a shielded HMS listening laboratory 😂 .. hmm where to put 2 of these..

cage-de-faraday-jre-test.jpg

May 10, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #15,302 of 18,489
@Amberlamps, I think that those of us who’ve come to really enjoy what the M Scaler adds to the sound of our Chord DACs have made peace with its RFI issues, and with the less than ideal Amanero USB input, which I must say should be avoided if at all possible.

Yes the considerable added expense of Nick Bacon’s WAVE Storm BNC cables, and then having to banish my M Scaler to the floor a good three feet away from my TT2 and off of my audio gear rack, were things that I hadn’t planned on. But the improvements in overall sound quality easily offset any painful inconvenience that I had to endure.

I take a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that what I’ve put together sounds a heck of a lot better than the dCS Bartok’s one box solution, or any other similarly priced DAC/upsampling unit on the market right now. But if someone would like to lend me one of these for an extended demo and review in my home I would not be adverse to it. https://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/reference-features/
And those msb toys together will add up to the astronomical sum of ????????? USD?
msb are NOT known for being cheap.
Nor are Chord.
But I guess my Qutest/Mscaler still belong somewhere in the budget category in comparison with msb dacs.
Chord will probably catch up with Mscaler x both price-wise and SQ -wise?Cheers CC

May 10, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #15,303 of 18,489
I’m very new in my M-scaler ownership. From note above, if I have option to feed the HMS from usb or coaxial feed from a network streamer, I assume the preference would be coaxial with BNC adapter?
The optical / Toslink should be the even better option if your streamer supports it.

I have been using my M Scaler with TT2 for a year with USB. Just switched it to Toslink and it is a quite day and night improvement in smoothness, micro-details and imaging. I am feeding my TT2 with dual Naim DC-1 BNC cables.

May 10, 2022 at 11:25 PM Post #15,304 of 18,489
The optical / Toslink should be the even better option if your streamer supports it.

I have been using my M Scaler with TT2 for a year with USB. Just switched it to Toslink and it is a quite day and night improvement in smoothness, micro-details and imaging. I am feeding my TT2 with dual Naim DC-1 BNC cables.
I have a ZenStream so the options are rca spdif or usb only.

May 10, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #15,305 of 18,489
just for the lolZ of asking, has anyone constructed/purchased a farady cage to place the Mscaler, Opto-DX transmitter, and 12v battery inside of?

or even a subset of the above items? leave the battery outside of the cage and run the optical cables to the receiver out of the cage. One could even craft sockets on the box to connect the inside with the outside.
You mean like this?

https://audiowise-canada.myshopify.com/collections/rf-stop-and-accessories/products/rf-stop-box

May 10, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #15,306 of 18,489
May 11, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #15,307 of 18,489
@muski, and the Audiowise RF•STOP Isolation Box 📦 only costs an easy $3,495 USD. Who knew? It’s obviously a gotta have. 😀

May 11, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #15,308 of 18,489

USB connector isn't a reliable interface.

May 11, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #15,309 of 18,489

Indeed toslink into Chord dacs is very good.
I've been recommending it to everyone since like forever :wink:
At first it seems less "impressive", but after careful listening it's better.
Sound is smoother calmer, bass warmer and goes deeper. Also clarity is improved, when there is a lot of instruments playing at once there is less "hash" between them.

May 11, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #15,311 of 18,489
Hello everyone! I’ve mentioned that most of you consider usb input worse than bnc/spdif, but bnc allows you 384 max upscale, when usb 765. Is bnc worth it, assuming that you lose in max upscaling?
For HQP and PGGB files where you might be outputting up to 768 then many of us use USB out from the streamer/pc and take that to an SRC.DX convertor to get dual BNC output to connect to the Chord DAC.

May 11, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #15,313 of 18,489
Would an MScaled TT2 vs stock be more or less transparent? Goal is to be closer to the music not add smoothing and lose transparency. Thanks

May 11, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #15,314 of 18,489
Indeed toslink into Chord dacs is very good.
I've been recommending it to everyone since like forever :wink:
At first it seems less "impressive", but after careful listening it's better.
Sound is smoother calmer, bass warmer and goes deeper. Also clarity is improved, when there is a lot of instruments playing at once there is less "hash" between them.
I totally agree. It was night and day for my ears.

May 11, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #15,315 of 18,489
Would an MScaled TT2 vs stock be more or less transparent? Goal is to be closer to the music not add smoothing and lose transparency. Thanks
M scaler adds smoothness, or I should say flow. Music is smoother but not muddied. At the same time transients are sharper but overall flow of the music is smoother/improved.
Many times I've experience music "slowing down" with M Scaler. - of course music was the same but the feeling is changed. Rob explained it as transients do not modulate each other and loud instruments don't get your attention.

Here
I tried the M scaler on a non-audiophile and they came back with exactly the same comment - the tempo was slower.

I had assessed it as better instrument separation and focus and less instrument domination effect (your attention is drawn to the loudest instrument). When this affect happens, with the loudest dominating, it changes your perception of tempo - things sound artificially faster. In short, the music sounds mechanical or jerky and lacks natural flow without the M scaler. So it's definitely not placebo - tempo for sure is not changing in an absolute sense, but your perception of tempo is changing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back