Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 27, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #15,271 of 18,518
@Icenine2, I’ve demoed the dCS Bartok, and for me the sound was Meh 🫤 compared to either TT2 or DAVE with an M Scaler. But IMO the MSB DAC is really overkill for a headphone only system. Don’t get me wrong, the MSB sounds phenomenal, and if you can foot the bill go for it.

Apr 27, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #15,272 of 18,518
Good to know. I’ve read the same from other listeners. No worries about the MSB. I am not in that league. I am actually very happy with my system. At this point the only thing I would like to see down the line is an updated Dave with a better headphone section.

Apr 27, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #15,273 of 18,518
Good to know. I’ve read the same from other listeners. No worries about the MSB. I am not in that league. I am actually very happy with my system. At this point the only thing I would like to see down the line is an updated Dave with a better headphone section.
I wonder why you think it is better to wait for Chord to decide what kind of headphone section to put in a new DAVE when you can take matters into your own hands right now and get a headphone amp that would quite probably be better than anything Chord would come up with.

Apr 28, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #15,275 of 18,518
I wonder why you think it is better to wait for Chord to decide what kind of headphone section to put in a new DAVE when you can take matters into your own hands right now and get a headphone amp that would quite probably be better than anything Chord would come up with.
Strong words.

On what technical basis do you make such an assertion - that I am incapable of beating headphone amps?

Apr 28, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #15,276 of 18,518
Apr 28, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #15,278 of 18,518
Strong words.

On what technical basis do you make such an assertion - that I am incapable of beating headphone amps?
Of course I am not asserting that you are incapable of designing a great headphone amplifier. That would be ridiculous of me 😀 The array of superb products with your imprimatur speaks for itself.

In my post I carefully used the phrase "would come up with" and not "could come up with" for exactly that reason.

What I am suggesting is that you might be unlikely to put such an amplifier in the same box as your top DAC circuitry any time soon. In the meantime anybody who wants a headphone amplifier that is better than what is in the current DAVE should consider simply getting one and using the DAVE to drive it.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #15,279 of 18,518
Strong words.

Rob, please chill for a moment,

I don't think the challenge is about whether you can design the ultimate headphone amp.

I speak from the viewpoint of someone whose day job is a mix of systems engineering and systems thinking.
This includes the 'System of Systems viewpoint'.

You can design the ultimate headamp, but you then rely on persuading @Mojo ideas to incorporate your design into the future Chord amplifier or DAVE2 or whatever roadmap.

Both you and Chord are part of a 'Systems of Systems'.
You have your design system.
John has his assemble/market/sell system.
You are both dependent on the supply chain system, to provide components to test your design, and then supply enough components to manufacture/assemble/sell Chord products.

So no stakeholder works in their own silo.

The modern trend is for customers to request more visibility regarding future products/timelines/shipping etc.
At the moment you are providing as much visibility as you are allowed by Chord, regarding future product updates etc.
Chord traditionally are tight lipped, but there is a growing mismatch between what their customers expect, and what Chord are comfortable to divulge.
Only Chord can decide how they want to deal with the way forward.

Apr 28, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #15,280 of 18,518
Rob, please chill for a moment,

I don't think the challenge is about whether you can design the ultimate headphone amp.

I speak from the viewpoint of someone whose day job is a mix of systems engineering and systems thinking.
This includes the 'System of Systems viewpoint'.

You can design the ultimate headamp, but you then rely on persuading @Mojo ideas to incorporate your design into the future Chord amplifier or DAVE2 or whatever roadmap.

Both you and Chord are part of a 'Systems of Systems'.
You have your design system.
John has his assemble/market/sell system.
You are both dependent on the supply chain system, to provide components to test your design, and then supply enough components to manufacture/assemble/sell Chord products.

So no stakeholder works in their own silo.

The modern trend is for customers to request more visibility regarding future products/timelines/shipping etc.
At the moment you are providing as much visibility as you are allowed by Chord, regarding future product updates etc.
Chord traditionally are tight lipped, but there is a growing mismatch between what their customers expect, and what Chord are comfortable to divulge.
Only Chord can decide how they want to deal with the way forward.
I’d say, due to the investment required, secrecy is important, to ensure market share of new products are not impacted.

Apr 29, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #15,281 of 18,518
Good points. I see you did your research.
Its not for nothing HMS is double shielded and one cant see internals through the porthole.

Too bad the BNC's are too close to each other ..otherwise you could try these €1 male-male BNC adapters. It cant get shorter than this.

Wonderful suggestion.

For my application, I just have add a pairs of L-shaped connectors to become BNC-cableless for both HMS and Qutest
download.jpg

Btw, after the last tweaks, there was a breakthrough recently.

The sound was never so natural before. The ambience of the background was so rich, e.g. clapping hands.

Instruments in the background were more distinct and concreted. All the performers were so energetic, no reservations.

I believe that I've brought the HMS to another level.

Occasionally, I've migraine immediately after playing music. It took me some time to realise that there was a leakage from the input BNC of the HMS using a test pen.

This was caused by the USB via HDD player. optical via cd player no such issue. A crocodile clip shorted the BNC to the ground solved the issue. And the sound is much more relax before.

2. Underneath the Qutest, pre-am and HDD player, at a small cost but huge improvement! Better isolations will eliminate vibrations to the electronics and adsorb vibrations from the equipment therefore better background sound and improve transient. This is the selling point of HMS.

_pump.jpg
IMG_20220429_213701.jpg
IMG_20220429_213550.jpg

3. Trifield Electromagnetic Meter 3-axis EMF Detector Model TF2, to detect RFI and EMF. it's also serve other purpose if you live nearby London tower :wink:

When RFs were detected, rearrange the positions of the equipment, separate the signal cables from power cords where possible. If can't then separate the cables will alumni foils, and short the alumni foils to the ground. The RF readings will be ZERO between the signal cables and power cords.

If AC magnetic and/or electric detected, separate the equipment from each other or from the human body.

_tri.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220429_213550.jpg
    IMG_20220429_213550.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 29, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #15,282 of 18,518
Wonderful suggestion.

For my application, I just have add a pairs of L-shaped connectors to become BNC-cableless for both HMS and Qutestdownload.jpg

Btw, after the last tweaks, there was a breakthrough recently

Occasionally, I've migraine immediately after playing music. It took me some time to realise that there was a leakage from the input BNC of the HMS using a test pen.

This was caused by the USB via HDD player. optical via cd player no such issue. A crocodile clip shorted the BNC to the ground solved the issue. And the sound is much more relax before.

2. Underneath the Qutest, pre-am and HDD player, at a small cost but huge improvement!
_pump.jpgIMG_20220429_213701.jpgIMG_20220429_213550.jpg

3. Trifield Electromagnetic Meter 3-axis EMF Detector Model TF2, to detect RFI and EMF. it's also serve other purpose if you live nearby London tower :wink:

_tri.jpg
I’d like to know more about the London tower ?!

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #15,284 of 18,518
Wonderful suggestion.

For my application, I just have add a pairs of L-shaped connectors to become BNC-cableless for both HMS and Qutest

Btw, after the last tweaks, there was a breakthrough recently

2. Underneath the Qutest, pre-am and HDD player, at a small cost but huge improvement!

You are saying you can measure RF comin out at the back of HMS through the air?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back