Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 15, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #12,646 of 18,448
It is weird how we all experience things differently. I find the effect of cleaning up rfi is to allow me to considerably reduce (not increase!) volume down from -34DB to - 42DB.
I don't change the volume but I do understand the point. For me, RFI manifested as unpleasant IM distortion giving a hard edge to high frequency sounds (like soprano voices and high violin notes). I would turn down the volume to render the hardness relatively inaudible. Once I installed the Wave cables the hard edge disappeared. I could play at any volume I chose, as loud as I wished, without the sound being unpleasant or fatiguing.

In practice I did not then begin listening at a higher volume, but it was nice not to be dodging that hardness any more. The sound also improved in other ways, which I attribute to the quality of the signal cable Nick uses.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #12,647 of 18,448
I don't change the volume but I do understand the point. For me, RFI manifested as unpleasant IM distortion giving a hard edge to high frequency sounds (like soprano voices and high violin notes). I would turn down the volume to render the hardness relatively inaudible. Once I installed the Wave cables the hard edge disappeared. I could play at any volume I chose, as loud as I wished, without the sound being unpleasant or fatiguing.

In practice I did not then begin listening at a higher volume, but it was nice not to be dodging that hardness any more. The sound also improved in other ways, which I attribute to the quality of the signal cable Nick uses.
What you are experiencing is analogous to my experience with the 12 volt battery I connected to my M-Scaler especially with regard to the sound being more pleasant and less fatiguing. I wonder if WAVE cables would make it even better!

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #12,648 of 18,448
So, as part of my ongoing “continuous improvement” quest, I just purchased a TOSLINK / MINIPLUG Premium Silflex Glass Cable from Lifatec. I’ve been experimenting with an inexpensive Toslink (BlueRigger digital optical) with my Focal Arche and the improvement was pretty dramatic. The Arche has issues connecting to Audirvana through USB (USB connectivity is a known issue with the Arche) so Toslink connected with zero issues. Clarity, separation, bass slam are fantastic with my Utopia so I’m anxious to try this route with the M-Scaler/TT2. Others have reported that the Lifatec Toslink cable doesn’t have any issues plugging in to the M-Scaler so I’m interested to see how that goes. @Torq posted on another forum that the Lifatec is the only Toslink he can recommend and others have agreed that this is the go to choice, even comparing it to the Audioquest Diamond. It’s about 1/5 the price as well; it’ll be here Friday. We shall see...listening to the Arche as I write this.
8B6CF12A-A969-4FAB-84B5-D225A895E470.jpeg

Feb 17, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #12,650 of 18,448
Too lazy to backread 800+ pages. What is the consensus so far for replacing the stock dual BNC cables? What cables should I get for say a $1000 budget?

My audio chain is as follows: NUC (Roon ROCK), SOTM SMS-200 Ultra with SPS-500 psu, TT2, Accuphase E-460, Harbeth SHL5. MScaler arrives tomorrow.
Bergeon20, the general consensus from my research, and from having auditioned a pair last week, is that WAVE High Fidelity BNC cables work wonderfully when used connecting the Hugo M Scaler to the Hugo TT2. https://www.wavehighfidelity.com/ I did a short review of some new cables called the STRATOS that Nick Bacon is wanting to bring to market in the near future. I think that you can find that review back just a couple of pages. From what is available right now on the WAVE website, I would recommend the WAVE STREAM BNC’s as an excellent choice considering what you’d like to spend right now.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #12,651 of 18,448
Hello All,

New to this thread...

Last night ended up purchasing MScaler along with Moon audio BNC cable! Upgrade itch came for few months and was eyeing Meze Empy or ZMF Verte closed but ended up with MScaler! Not sure if its the right move but hope so. My current setup is Qutest/RME DAC (moon audio silver USB) and V281 as Amp and headphones are HD800s (moon audio black dragon) and focal clear. Mostly listen to pop/rock/jazz/classical genre. Buyers remorse setting in and wonder if I should I have used my $ on one of the headphones instead?

Really look forward to some improvements using stack....

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #12,652 of 18,448
Hello All,

New to this thread...

Last night ended up purchasing MScaler along with Moon audio BNC cable! Upgrade itch came for few months and was eyeing Meze Empy or ZMF Verte closed but ended up with MScaler! Not sure if its the right move but hope so. My current setup is Qutest/RME DAC (moon audio silver USB) and V281 as Amp and headphones are HD800s (moon audio black dragon) and focal clear. Mostly listen to pop/rock/jazz/classical genre. Buyers remorse setting in and wonder if I should I have used my $ on one of the headphones instead?

Really look forward to some improvements using stack....
iamdman, you’ve got the foundation of a very nice hp listening setup. The M Scaler is a wonderful addition to any system, especially when paired with a compatible Chord DAC, you should not get rid of it! I started with the Qutest and I really loved the way it made the music sound. I’m also presently using Moon Audio Silver Dragon BNC’s between my Chord Hugo M Scaler and TT2. The Silver Dragons 🐉 are a very neutral and good digital coax cable. Are you taking advantage of the Violectric V281’s balanced outputs with your Senn 800s headphones?

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #12,653 of 18,448
I bought my M Scaler Monday! Lots of buying here. I also found a pair of Used Wave Stream's here that I bought last week.

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #12,654 of 18,448
iamdman, you’ve got the foundation of a very nice hp listening setup. The M Scaler is a wonderful addition to any system, especially when paired with a compatible Chord DAC, you should not get rid of it! I started with the Qutest and I really loved the way it made the music sound. I’m also presently using Moon Audio Silver Dragon BNC’s between my Chord Hugo M Scaler and TT2. The Silver Dragons 🐉 are a very neutral and good digital coax cable. Are you taking advantage of the Violectric V281’s balanced outputs with your Senn 800s headphones?
Thanks for the reassurance :) - yeah I use balanced HP out using the moon audio black dragon premium XLR for HD800s and for focal clear have one from LQI cable that's balanced too. Though I can "see" focal having more bass presence I keep coming back to 800s!

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #12,655 of 18,448
I bought my M Scaler Monday! Lots of buying here. I also found a pair of Used Wave Stream's here that I bought last week.
Nice! Upgraded BNC cable was not in my budget right away but ended up with moon audio BNC...oh well, guess no more "upgrades" for another year.

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #12,656 of 18,448
Thanks for the reassurance :) - yeah I use balanced HP out using the moon audio black dragon premium XLR for HD800s and for focal clear have one from LQI cable that's balanced too. Though I can "see" focal having more bass presence I keep coming back to 800s!
iamdman, the sound signature of the 800’s is very addictive to a lot of folks. I almost bought a pair this past Christmas, but I decided to just stick with my Focal Utopia’s as my daily drivers.

Feb 17, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #12,657 of 18,448
Congrats on a nice upgrade! I bought the M Scaler to pair with my Hugo 2 a few months back and am very happy. I couldn´t afford both the M Scaler and the TT2 and had a gut feeling the M Scaler was the way to go. Plan is to get the TT2 if finances allow later on this year. I have been using the Focal Clear for several years now and just recently acquired the 800S too. Just like you I keep going back to the 800S. I just love the wide and open feel of the sound.

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #12,658 of 18,448
Nice! Upgraded BNC cable was not in my budget right away but ended up with moon audio BNC...oh well, guess no more "upgrades" for another year.
Not in my budget either but…they came up at a great price so sold a few CD’s on eBay.

Feb 17, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #12,660 of 18,448
On the subject of LPS, can I confirm that if I only had one LPS (SBooster), I will get the most improvement if I use that on the HMS rather than the TT2?

For me, I say yes.

Of course you are best to use your own ears and in which case it ought to be easy to decide which you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back