Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Feb 14, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #12,631 of 18,516
Getting rid, as best one can, of rfi is transformational but equally batteries have their limitations. I am not sure of the technicalities - others have suggested voltage stability plays a role. The best result seems to be a combination of non current limiting mains filtering and really good LPS. Having experimented with batteries, a LPS has a three dimensionality, depth and blackness that the batteries failed to attain.
One of the reasons that I am interested in trying a regenerator at some point.

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #12,632 of 18,516
Getting rid, as best one can, of rfi is transformational but equally batteries have their limitations. I am not sure of the technicalities - others have suggested voltage stability plays a role. The best result seems to be a combination of non current limiting mains filtering and really good LPS. Having experimented with batteries, a LPS has a three dimensionality, depth and blackness that the batteries failed to attain.
I am only comparing with the factory supplied PSU; the battery I’m using when compared to that unit produces a better result in my opinion. This is all about what we hear so that’s hard to define. @Rob Watts claims emphatically the stock PSU is as good as any after market PSU but I have not tried any other power supplies and don’t intend to buy any prospectively. I do intend to go back to the supplied PSU at some point to see if I notice a difference. I recall reading that the M-Scaler requires less than 12 volts to function but I don’t have a clue how that might relate to voltage stability if that’s a viable concern. I’d prefer to just use the supplied PSU but I don’t think I can go back! Out of curiosity, which power supply are you using?

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #12,633 of 18,516
I am only comparing with the factory supplied PSU; the battery I’m using when compared to that unit produces a better result in my opinion. This is all about what we hear so that’s hard to define. @Rob Watts claims emphatically the stock PSU is as good as any after market PSU but I have not tried any other power supplies and don’t intend to buy any prospectively. I do intend to go back to the supplied PSU at some point to see if I notice a difference. I recall reading that the M-Scaler requires less than 12 volts to function but I don’t have a clue how that might relate to voltage stability if that’s a viable concern. I’d prefer to just use the supplied PSU but I don’t think I can go back! Out of curiosity, which power supply are you using?
I am using a Sean Jacobs DC3. I get the impression that, at least in part, RW was trying to explain that the supplies PSU includes rfi filtering and that by swapping it out you could actually make things worse. If you checkout a recent review (https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...-sound-application-pgi-tt-7-part-1-of-2-r973/) there seem to be quite a few out there (some of whose previous observations I have learnt treat with very considerable respect) who are convinced that the advantages of changing the PSU can be far from minor.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #12,634 of 18,516
Sorry I should have added - yes, it does not surprise me that the battery was an improvement!

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #12,635 of 18,516
@bpcans

Do you think they have a sound signature or are they simply revealing more of what is there - lifting a veil, so to speak?

Nick does make quality cables.
griff500, the WAVE BNC cables are just a far superior product then what most folks would even consider owning, let alone buying them because they are prohibitively expensive. Nick Bacon’s use of packets of ferrites strategically placed along the length of his BNC cables, I think that’s what they are, definitely does something to improve the perceived musicality of recorded music. Plus the cables are so well made that you can really crank up the volume thru your headphones.

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #12,636 of 18,516
I am using a Sean Jacobs DC3. I get the impression that, at least in part, RW was trying to explain that the supplies PSU includes rfi filtering and that by swapping it out you could actually make things worse. If you checkout a recent review (https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...-sound-application-pgi-tt-7-part-1-of-2-r973/) there seem to be quite a few out there (some of whose previous observations I have learnt treat with very considerable respect) who are convinced that the advantages of changing the PSU can be far from minor.
Yes, I’d read that as well but @Rob Watts seemed to throw cold water on that! I’m not at all opposed to buying/trying a different power supply but the “better” supplies aren’t cheap so I’m moving slowly. Honestly, the battery really is such a significant improvement to me that I’m inclined to stick with that for the foreseeable future; at least to next week anyway... :)

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #12,637 of 18,516
griff500, the WAVE BNC cables are just a far superior product then what most folks would even consider owning, let alone buying them because they are prohibitively expensive. Nick Bacon’s use of packets of ferrites strategically placed along the length of his BNC cables, I think that’s what they are, definitely does something to improve the perceived musicality of recorded music. Plus the cables are so well made that you can really crank up the volume thru your headphones.
It is weird how we all experience things differently. I find the effect of cleaning up rfi is to allow me to considerably reduce (not increase!) volume down from -34DB to - 42DB.

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #12,638 of 18,516
Many interesting comments above on reducing RFI. The M Scaler is my newest component. What is the audible effect of RFI, for the M Scaler?

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #12,639 of 18,516
I believe the ferrites are specifically chosen to deal with certain frequencies and my point was simply that I don’t think the cables have a sound signature of their own, by which I mean that they are not colouring the sound.

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #12,640 of 18,516
Many interesting comments above on reducing RFI. The M Scaler is my newest component. What is the audible effect of RFI, for the M Scaler?
This is a confusing and (apparently) complex topic. I’m finding that the more I learn, the less I know. There is plenty of information in the 12,000+ posts that preceded this, but I’m not even suggesting you read through them since it’s difficult if not impossible to summarize all that’s there or know what’s really important or relevant. I honestly thought it want an issue for me until I started my battery experiment. I also see by your signature that you aren’t a novice when it comes to nice gear. Have fun experimenting!

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #12,641 of 18,516
As rfi is tamed everything the HMS does inherently is improved. Even greater musicality wins through. The sound is more relaxed, is more emotionally involving and is more tangible.

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #12,643 of 18,516
Yes, I’d read that as well but @Rob Watts seemed to throw cold water on that! I’m not at all opposed to buying/trying a different power supply but the “better” supplies aren’t cheap so I’m moving slowly. Honestly, the battery really is such a significant improvement to me that I’m inclined to stick with that for the foreseeable future; at least to next week anyway... :)
Yes and of course what RW has created is wonderful and one hesitates a lot to follow something he has been cautious about. But, ultimately you have to do what you think best and I would not go back ....

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #12,644 of 18,516
I bought some Wave Streams BNC's used ready for the TT2. Looking for a used Silver M Scaler. Missed buying in the past month twice............

Feb 14, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #12,645 of 18,516
I bought some Wave Streams BNC's used ready for the TT2. Looking for a used Silver M Scaler. Missed buying in the past month twice............
Icenine2, I have a good feeling that you’ll get your M Scaler real soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back