Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 17, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #12,181 of 18,495
Hi Guys.

Everything is ok with MScaler. The problem was that I had not selected the bnc 1 input on the dac Hugo tt2. Unfortunately I had not seen it in time in the instructions for use. Everything is working fine now.

However, I would like to ask you a few questions in order to preserve the good operation of the Chord audio machines I have purchased:

1. When inserting / removing the 6mm plug of my headphones at the output, on the front panel of the Hugo tt2, the dac must be off, or can I on the fly? What is the safest way?

2. Chord equipment is part of my Hi Fi system. Can I use the amp function when I hear from it, and not from my headphones? Should I use the dac configuration only?

3. In Chord's opinion, what is the best audio connection between Streamer Auralic Aries G 1 and MScaler? With usb, Coax or toshlink to play 24/192 khz files?

4. Mscaler toshlink and coax input, up to how many Khz can it go up?

5. Do you have experience with network switches? Do you recommend them?

6. Do you have experience from using better quality bnc cables? Do you recommend them?

7. Do you have experience with support materials for Chord equipment? Do you recommend them?

8. Finally, are there any other things I need to know to ensure good health, and the excellent performance of the Chord equipment I bought? Thank you very much I look forward to your answers.
Griff covered the other points. For point 5 I have heard someone else here warn that network switches are normally nasty and cheap and to be avoided at all costs.

Dec 17, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #12,182 of 18,495
Hi Guys.

Everything is ok with MScaler. The problem was that I had not selected the bnc 1 input on the dac Hugo tt2. Unfortunately I had not seen it in time in the instructions for use. Everything is working fine now.

However, I would like to ask you a few questions in order to preserve the good operation of the Chord audio machines I have purchased:

1. When inserting / removing the 6mm plug of my headphones at the output, on the front panel of the Hugo tt2, the dac must be off, or can I on the fly? What is the safest way?

2. Chord equipment is part of my Hi Fi system. Can I use the amp function when I hear from it, and not from my headphones? Should I use the dac configuration only?

3. In Chord's opinion, what is the best audio connection between Streamer Auralic Aries G 1 and MScaler? With usb, Coax or toshlink to play 24/192 khz files?

4. Mscaler toshlink and coax input, up to how many Khz can it go up?

5. Do you have experience with network switches? Do you recommend them?

6. Do you have experience from using better quality bnc cables? Do you recommend them?

7. Do you have experience with support materials for Chord equipment? Do you recommend them?

8. Finally, are there any other things I need to know to ensure good health, and the excellent performance of the Chord equipment I bought? Thank you very much I look forward to your answers.
For point 8 I would strongly recommend that I send you a PM with my home address where you can post the M SCALER to and I will run a series of tests here from my home.

Unfortunately these may take several years to complete but I promise to write back to you often to update you on progress......🤣🤣🤣🤣

Obviously I’m kidding, congratulations on getting it and enjoy it!

Dec 17, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #12,183 of 18,495
I would argue that the Hugo-2/M-Scaler combination is every bit as good as the Qutest/M-Scaler combination. They share the same topology, and the Hugo-2 has the added benefit of battery, along with the ability to turn down the output voltage. That could result in a slightly improved SNR.
I had both - the problem with the Hugo-2 is the limitation of what kind of BNC cables can be used. Similar, the use of Cinch cables is somewhat restricted, my LessLoss c-Marc did not fit.
M-Scaler/Qutest with ferrite-loaded BNC cable, external linear PS (SBooster) and LessLoss c-Marc Cinch cable sounded superior compared to Hugo 2. Volume control done with Amarra.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #12,184 of 18,495
I had both - the problem with the Hugo-2 is the limitation of what kind of BNC cables can be used. Similar, the use of Cinch cables is somewhat restricted, my LessLoss c-Marc did not fit.
M-Scaler/Qutest with ferrite-loaded BNC cable, external linear PS (SBooster) and LessLoss c-Marc Cinch cable sounded superior compared to Hugo 2. Volume control done with Amarra.

I have not had any issues with using the cable obtained from Moon Audio whatsoever. I find that the Hugo-2 is pretty convenient with the remote handy to adjust volume, crossfeed, and filter options. I can see where a proper cable would be required for the Hugo-2.

Although I had originally wanted the Qutest, the Hugo-2 with the M-Scaler sounds spectacular, and since the Hugo-2 and Qutest are essentially the same hardware/firmware, they should sound the same.

Dec 17, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #12,185 of 18,495
I have not had any issues with using the cable obtained from Moon Audio whatsoever. I find that the Hugo-2 is pretty convenient with the remote handy to adjust volume, crossfeed, and filter options. I can see where a proper cable would be required for the Hugo-2.

Although I had originally wanted the Qutest, the Hugo-2 with the M-Scaler sounds spectacular, and since the Hugo-2 and Qutest are essentially the same hardware/firmware, they should sound the same.

Technically they don’t have the same analogue output stage from the DAC. Qutest‘s analogue output is based off of the Mojo since it is intended to be used with an amp, while the Hugo2 has a more sophisticated analogue out from the DAC. I purposefully didn’t say amp stage because that would also be inaccurate.

Dec 18, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #12,186 of 18,495
Unless I missed it I don’t recall seeing anything about tap length at the various output frequencies,
only a comment that “you’ll need a Chord DAC with Dual BNC input to get the 1 million taps” ....
just wondering on the tap length available when connecting another DAC by Toslink at 176.4 ...

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #12,187 of 18,495
Unless I missed it I don’t recall seeing anything about tap length at the various output frequencies,
only a comment that “you’ll need a Chord DAC with Dual BNC input to get the 1 million taps” ....
just wondering on the tap length available when connecting another DAC by Toslink at 176.4 ...

Tap length estimate :

Green: 250,000 taps: 88.2k
Blue: 500,000 taps: 176k
White: 1,000,000: taps: DB 705.6k

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/M-Scaler-manual-V1.2.pdf

Page 22 get you all the frequencies based on setting. Toslink can only do half million taps.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #12,188 of 18,495
I also want to point that you need the dual bnc to bypass most of Chord’s internal WTA1 upsampler. Think only the original Hugo TT will get bypass at half million setting since has lower max upsampling rate.

If you feed the Dave lower than 705.6k, it will still use the internal WTA1 so not really getting full benefit of the mscaler.

Dec 18, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #12,189 of 18,495
I also want to point that you need the dual bnc to bypass most of Chord’s internal WTA1 upsampler. Think only the original Hugo TT will get bypass at half million setting since has lower max upsampling rate.

If you feed the Dave lower than 705.6k, it will still use the internal WTA1 so not really getting full benefit of the mscaler.
Thanks ...
connected to Qutest via Dual BNC for main system and via Toslink to a DAC/headphone amp until a dedicated headphone amp arrives ....

Dec 18, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #12,190 of 18,495
Yes Dolby B was released in 1968... And that's when Decca was using Dolby too.

Hi Rob, sorry to quote this old message.
It may already been asked.. but can u supply us with a list of albums you know that are recorded noise reduction free or in other non negatively edited way.
Thanks,
Rick

Dec 19, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #12,191 of 18,495
Tap length estimate :

Green: 250,000 taps: 88.2k
Blue: 500,000 taps: 176k
White: 1,000,000: taps: DB 705.6k

I don't think that tap conversion is quite right. I think it's:

Green: 125,000 taps: 88.2k
Blue: 250,000 taps: 176.4k
White: 500,000 taps: 352.8k (single BNC)
White: 1,000,000 taps: 705.6k (dual BNC)

... Based on start point of 44.1k (higher for 48k)

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #12,192 of 18,495
Hi Rob, sorry to quote this old message.
It may already been asked.. but can u supply us with a list of albums you know that are recorded noise reduction free or in other non negatively edited way.
Thanks,
Rick

Afraid not - the characteristic of course is master tape hiss - if you can hear it it's not Dolby! From a SQ POV things sound unnaturally soft, with poorer focus with Dolby.

And of course you never know what you are getting with a recording anyway...

Dec 19, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #12,193 of 18,495
Afraid not - the characteristic of course is master tape hiss - if you can hear it it's not Dolby! From a SQ POV things sound unnaturally soft, with poorer focus with Dolby.

And of course you never know what you are getting with a recording anyway...

Yes i understand what can make a Dolby or in any other way edited recording sound worse, but what i mean to archieve is instead of going through the process of digging lots of recordings and find out.. why not start to ask someone who already heard libraries full of them and is able to point which labels / editions were really making a Mscaled DAC sound at its best.

Offcourse i can also ask fellow members owning a BLU2/ Mscaler but for sure you are the first person to be able to recognize that a recording is most likely to be unaltered. i'm sure you made yourself a shortlist of favorites too that u might like to share.
Perhaps this deservers a separate dedicated thread. I guess i'm speaking for many when i say: it would help us 'hunters for the best quality recordings' a lot.
I'll hope i don't "Rob" u too much of your time.

Nb: for the fun of it.. i was reading only impressions for 2 years but holding back from auditioning the Mscaler just because my wife would'nt approve the purchase, -something u don't know.. u (kind of) don't miss-
Well guess what, she had to ask if she found the correct one and ordered one for Xmas. its under the tree now.. those will be long days waiting and it will be hard to attend the family after unpacking :)
Cheers,
Rick

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #12,194 of 18,495
I don't think that tap conversion is quite right. I think it's:

Green: 125,000 taps: 88.2k
Blue: 250,000 taps: 176.4k
White: 500,000 taps: 352.8k (single BNC)
White: 1,000,000 taps: 705.6k (dual BNC)

... Based on start point of 44.1k (higher for 48k)

Yes, this make more sense. So you can bypass the Hugo TT with single bnc at 500,000 taps and all others Chord dacs that work with the Mscaler with dual bnc for 1,000,000 taps. If you use toslink to another brand of dac, need to make sure bypass is only at 176.4k. I believe the Schiit dacs bypass at this level.

Dec 19, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #12,195 of 18,495
Yes i understand what can make a Dolby or in any other way edited recording sound worse, but what i mean to archieve is instead of going through the process of digging lots of recordings and find out.. why not start to ask someone who already heard libraries full of them and is able to point which labels / editions were really making a Mscaled DAC sound at its best.

Offcourse i can also ask fellow members owning a BLU2/ Mscaler but for sure you are the first person to be able to recognize that a recording is most likely to be unaltered. i'm sure you made yourself a shortlist of favorites too that u might like to share.
Perhaps this deservers a separate dedicated thread. I guess i'm speaking for many when i say: it would help us 'hunters for the best quality recordings' a lot.
I'll hope i don't "Rob" u too much of your time.

Nb: for the fun of it.. i was reading only impressions for 2 years but holding back from auditioning the Mscaler just because my wife would'nt approve the purchase, -something u don't know.. u (kind of) don't miss-
Well guess what, she had to ask if she found the correct one and ordered one for Xmas. its under the tree now.. those will be long days waiting and it will be hard to attend the family after unpacking :)
Cheers,
Rick
Would not like to be in your shoes.
Actually I probably would!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back