Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Sep 17, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #11,881 of 18,535
Thank you for your answer. Did you need to copy the Chord MScaler controller to the logitech one?
I do not think I had to. I was able to pull it as HMS was on it's database. (Chord electronics, Hugo M Scalar) . You get the exact same buttons you see on the HMS remote.
IMG-0027 (1).PNG

Sep 18, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #11,883 of 18,535
Good morning Guys.

I read the following review of HI FI WORLD (https://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index....d-reviews/913-chord-electronics-m-scaler.html), and the truth is that I was a little worried! He says what really upgrades him are the PCM 44.1 level CD signals. Not so with sampling 24/96, 24/192, and DSD 512. It doesn't really help there.

I am not very interested in the DSD 512 at the moment, but the rest is yes, since I do not use CDs, only streaming services such as TIDAL and Qobuz.

What is your opinion?

Sep 18, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #11,884 of 18,535
Good morning Guys.

I read the following review of HI FI WORLD (https://www.hi-fiworld.co.uk/index....d-reviews/913-chord-electronics-m-scaler.html), and the truth is that I was a little worried! He says what really upgrades him are the PCM 44.1 level CD signals. Not so with sampling 24/96, 24/192, and DSD 512. It doesn't really help there.

I am not very interested in the DSD 512 at the moment, but the rest is yes, since I do not use CDs, only streaming services such as TIDAL and Qobuz.

What is your opinion?

I can't comment on DSD as I don't use them but, the M Scaler improves files that are 24/96 & 24/192 it's just that the biggest improvement is with 44.1 CD files as they're starting from a lower point on the quality scale. I've quite a lot of content at 24/96 and they still sound a lot better through the M Scaler. The improvement in soundstage, imaging and transient detail is still there to my ears/system.

Edit. Just to say my usage tends to be 70% Qobuz & 30% local CD Flac files from a Roon Rock NUC.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #11,885 of 18,535
I can't comment on DSD as I don't use them but, the M Scaler improves files that are 24/96 & 24/192 it's just that the biggest improvement is with 44.1 CD files as they're starting from a lower point on the quality scale. I've quite a lot of content at 24/96 and they still sound a lot better through the M Scaler. The improvement in soundstage, imaging and transient detail is still there to my ears/system.
Thank you very much once again for your answers!

I appreciate it a lot. I would like to ask: do the files 24/96 & 24/192 come from streaming services (qobuz), or from your hard drive?
I mean, what you wrote also applies to streaming services, or is the upgrade only visible, or more in saved files?

Sep 18, 2020 at 7:22 AM Post #11,886 of 18,535
Thank you very much once again for your answers!

I appreciate it a lot. I would like to ask: do the files 24/96 & 24/192 come from streaming services (qobuz), or from your hard drive?
I mean, what you wrote also applies to streaming services, or is the upgrade only visible, or more in saved files?
Both. It works very well with Qobuz and depending you network and on how you store stream your local files, Qobuz can sound better to be honest!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #11,887 of 18,535
Sep 19, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #11,888 of 18,535
USB from Mac to MSC ... does the USB A-C adapter make a lot of difference ?

I have USB A to B cable for MSC ... but my new Mac's require USB C, so an adapter is needed ... what are people's views ?

Pay for an expensive USB cable to then put it through USB A-C adapter and into the Mac ! I know Audioquest do USB A-C but I don't think anyone else does. All are USB A to B.

What are people's view of the A-C adapters ?

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #11,889 of 18,535
USB from Mac to MSC ... does the USB A-C adapter make a lot of difference ?

I have USB A to B cable for MSC ... but my new Mac's require USB C, so an adapter is needed ... what are people's views ?

Pay for an expensive USB cable to then put it through USB A-C adapter and into the Mac ! I know Audioquest do USB A-C but I don't think anyone else does. All are USB A to B.

What are people's view of the A-C adapters ?

I can say they work... tried it out of curiosity with my MacBook Pro. I haven't really taken any serious time to do sound comparisons but my gut feeling is it won't sound as good as the correct cable but is likely ok as a short term solution until you get a better cable... it would probably be a good idea to invest in a AudioQuest Jitterbug as well as computers tend to be noisy sources (electrically).

The reason I think this is due to using these adapters (trying anyway) when tethering camera system to my Macs in the studio. When using the adapters I often get drop outs, disconnects, when the camera will disappear from the software. Using a cable with the correct plugs everything works fine. The adapters obviously add ann extra layer of complexity.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #11,890 of 18,535
I can say they work... tried it out of curiosity with my MacBook Pro. I haven't really taken any serious time to do sound comparisons but my gut feeling is it won't sound as good as the correct cable but is likely ok as a short term solution until you get a better cable... it would probably be a good idea to invest in a AudioQuest Jitterbug as well as computers tend to be noisy sources (electrically).

The reason I think this is due to using these adapters (trying anyway) when tethering camera system to my Macs in the studio. When using the adapters I often get drop outs, disconnects, when the camera will disappear from the software. Using a cable with the correct plugs everything works fine. The adapters obviously add ann extra layer of complexity.

I've decided to use my old (2014) MB Air to connect as it has a USB A and I don't use it anymore ... well, didn't. It is now sitting between my TT2 and MSC with a Vetere USB out of it to the MSC with Tidal providing the music. I can't honestly hear anything different but at least I know there is no £15 adapter between the silly expensive Vetere and the Macbook.

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #11,892 of 18,535
Does anyone know if Chord recommends using a surge protector or power treatment between the MScaler (or other 15v devices like the TT2 for that matter) and the wall?
Chord never recommended any additional power conditioning. Although I’m very happy how my PS Audio Powerplant improved sound of my system.

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #11,893 of 18,535
Chord never recommended any additional power conditioning. Although I’m very happy how my PS Audio Powerplant improved sound of my system.

Would you mind sharing what power plant do you use? Do you plug in amps to the power plant or directly to the wall? Thanks!

Edit: Forgot to add, I am curious about not only noise filtering, but surge protection. Is it a risk to not use any surge protection with our precious Chords?

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #11,894 of 18,535
I use P12:
https://www.psaudio.com/products/directstream-power-plant-12/

This is kinda overkill for head-fi in terms of power, but I had my own reasons. Best strategy is to plug all hi-fi in regenerator outlets to separate it from the rest of the network.
P12 was effortlessly powering three power supplies for TT2, HMS, opticalRendu and two big monoamps AVM Evolution M3.

All in all I can say that PS Audio regenerators are very expensive, but very effective. Soundstage depth and small musical details were seriously improved with P12.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #11,895 of 18,535
Silly question but please?

I am sure I read posts that said that the M-Scaler runs quite hot, even when standing alone. My question is, does the M-Scaler either on-top-of, or below the TT2; do the pair run hot?

There are plenty of images of the two stacked. However some folk do not mind their kit running warm or hot. Or please, have I misunderstood and does the TT2 and M-Scaler stack quite OK for temperatures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back