Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Oct 1, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #11,911 of 18,616
I’m a bit confused on how to output from foobar2000. I have a mix of 16/44 24/96 some higher res 32 bit files. I have USB going to MScaler, then dual bnc to TT2. I have upsampling maxed to 768. If I don’t convert files from foobar I sometimes run into issues with files not playing or playing with static. Should I convert everything to 44.1? That way I get the full 16X up sample? Kinda confused here. Any advice?

You should ideally leave your music files untouched in their original resolution rather than doing anything with them before they get to the Mscaler.

Sometimes increasing the delay on the player resolves the static when going from different files. Anyway, better to find a different solution rather than downsampling everything to 44.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #11,912 of 18,616
You should ideally leave your music files untouched in their original resolution rather than doing anything with them before they get to the Mscaler.

Sometimes increasing the delay on the player resolves the static when going from different files. Anyway, better to find a different solution rather than downsampling everything to 44.
I tried the upsampling function of Roon with the M Scaler the other day... Only static... :relieved: I guess I could still try the upscaling function with my second setup, feeding the Topping D90. I need to read up on how the Roon upsampling works though.

Oct 1, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #11,913 of 18,616
Thanks for your post. I’m an ultraRendu user, and while I love it, I’m intrigued by the opticalRendu.

As earlier posts mentioned the Innuos Mk3 server, have you ever considered the SonicTransporter I9 Optical? I love the idea of a direct optical connection from Roon server to opticalRendu streamer. I’m very tempted by their server+opticalRendu combo package,

Cheers,
muski

Oct 1, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #11,915 of 18,616

I’ve read conflicting info on this. Some say if your only upsampling 2 or 4X there is no point in using the MScaler. Which is the reason I was asking, because I agree, it doesn’t make sense to output everything at 44 when some source files are much higher.
Where can I adjust the delay you speak of?

thanks!

Oct 1, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #11,916 of 18,616
Oct 1, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #11,918 of 18,616
Guys today I ordered the M Scaler for the Chord Hugo tt2, and I will have the device in about 3 weeks. But I will always have the following question: If I had to buy a single device, which would be preferable, or buying MScaler, or innuos usb reckcloker, (https://www.google.com/amp/s/audiobacon.net/2020/09/08/innuos-phoenix-usb-reclocker-review/amp/), and why?

Do you have an opinion on this?
I would say HMS first, WAVE cables second and Phoenix (or whatever you want to use as a transport) third.

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #11,920 of 18,616
Do WAVE cables really make such a big difference?
All in all - yes. If you can afford it, you should buy it.

I mean, to me everything matters. Transport, power regenerator, PSUs, USB and even power cables. But for HMS-TT2 setup a pair of ferrited cables for dBNC interface will do the biggest impact. I would had never believed it if I hadn't tried it myself.

You can also ask @alxw0w for another independent opinion. He listened to my system and had his own with different dBNC cables.

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #11,922 of 18,616
I totally agree with @Ragnar-BY when it comes to BNC cables with a m scaler.
For me good BNC cables (and by good I don't mean expensive) with proper ferrite cores are necessary to hear full potential from the m scaler.
And if I had to choose what to buy first Wave Stream cables or expensive transport - I'll go for cables without any hesitation.
@varadero xl1000v Actually I'm selling my "old" custom bnc cables if you are interested just PM me.

Oct 1, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #11,923 of 18,616
All in all - yes. If you can afford it, you should buy it.

I mean, to me everything matters. Transport, power regenerator, PSUs, USB and even power cables. But for HMS-TT2 setup a pair of ferrited cables for dBNC interface will do the biggest impact. I would had never believed it if I hadn't tried it myself.

You can also ask @alxw0w for another independent opinion. He listened to my system and had his own with different dBNC cables.

Hmm, I’m not sure for someone living in Greece, but certainly here in the uk you can return WAVE cables for a full refund if your not happy with them.

I totally agree with @Ragnar-BY when it comes to BNC cables with a m scaler.
For me good BNC cables (and by good I don't mean expensive) with proper ferrite cores are necessary to hear full potential from the m scaler.
And if I had to choose what to buy first Wave Stream cables or expensive transport - I'll go for cables without any hesitation.
@varadero xl1000v Actually I'm selling my "old" custom bnc cables if you are interested just PM me.
Guys thank you for your answers. I have talked to the manufacturer and he told me that a full refund is valid in case I do not want to keep them.

I will wait to receive MScaler, listen to the Chord input cables to get used to their sound, and at some point I will order them.

Just to say that their price is quite high for me ...

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #11,925 of 18,616
I will wait to receive MScaler, listen to the Chord input cables to get used to their sound, and at some point I will order them.

Just to say that their price is quite high for me ...
[/QUOTE]

I’m very happy with the Stone cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back