Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 15, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #11,327 of 18,491
What are the top 3 headphones in the $3500.00 range? I sold all my HP's except for my HD650's and am thinking about picking up some now HP's.
If you have a sufficient headphone amp, a used Abyss 1266 Phi (CC or TC) and a used Susvaras are probably tier 1. The SR1a with Jotunheim R (with the internal dac) is a complete setup for like $4k (probably the biggest bang for your buck). Then tier 2 is probably Meze Empyrean, Focal Utopia, ZMF Verite Closed, Audeze LCD-4.

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:51 PM Post #11,329 of 18,491
If you have a sufficient headphone amp, a used Abyss 1266 Phi (CC or TC) and a used Susvaras are probably tier 1. The SR1a with Jotunheim R (with the internal dac) is a complete setup for like $4k (probably the biggest bang for your buck). Then tier 2 is probably Meze Empyrean, Focal Utopia, ZMF Verite Closed, Audeze LCD-4.
I will be using it straight from the Dave and I have been looking at the Hifiman HE100SE, Diana Phi and Diana V2.

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:59 PM Post #11,332 of 18,491
I will be using it straight from the Dave and I have been looking at the Hifiman HE100SE, Diana Phi and Diana V2.

I vote for HEKse! I enjoyed this pairing for a long time last year.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190224143308612_COVER (1).jpg

Jun 15, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #11,333 of 18,491
Does the m scaler make a big difference when using Tidal?

The biggest improvement with the mscaler comes from cd quality recordings. MQA is not recommended nor lossy audio. Hires audio will also improve but you won’t hear as big a difference comparing to the hires original as you do when comparing mscaler back to the cd original.

So yes you can use Tidal but folded or even unfolded MQA not recommended since data has been altered from original file.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #11,334 of 18,491

I’m loving my Focal Utopia with Danacable straight out of the Dave. But I can’t really comment on how it compares to others. I can say the Dave was a huge upgrade over the Hugo 2 for the Utopia’s. Sound nice and full with the Dave. But think this talk should be in the Dave forum and not here.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #11,335 of 18,491
What are the top 3 headphones in the $3500.00 range? I sold all my HP's except for my HD650's and am thinking about picking up some now HP's.
As a big fan of the DAVE/HE1000se pairing I'd say that's my mumber one recommendation. I have the HEDDphone on order, though, but the brief audition that has led me to go for it is not enough to compare it with the HE1000se. It's a bit more power hungry, but shouldn't pose a problem for the DAVE either.

Jun 15, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #11,337 of 18,491
¼" and balanced 3 m each, ⅛" 1.5 m.

A better (sounding) cable is recommended, though (Lavricables, Norne Audio...).

Jun 15, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #11,338 of 18,491
I’m loving my Focal Utopia with Danacable straight out of the Dave. But I can’t really comment on how it compares to others. I can say the Dave was a huge upgrade over the Hugo 2 for the Utopia’s. Sound nice and full with the Dave. But think this talk should be in the Dave forum and not here.
I have a similar set up with M Scaler/Dave/Utopia/Wave Storm, but with a Dennis Had Inspire tube amp and it is very, very nice. The M Scaler really clarifies in all aspects. The Utopias are the best headphones I have had though I will be changing over to RAAL very shortly for the periodic refresh. The Utopias are efficient and work fine using the Dave amp alone.

Jun 15, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #11,339 of 18,491
That makes sense to me too. However I have a really amazing offer on a top-flight power cable, which I'm loathe to pass up.

Can I ask you, if you approach it in terms of effectiveness instead of priority, how would you weight the two. Having now addressed both, do you think the power cable and Opto DX are about equal in how much they contribute to SQ or is one significantly more important?

I don't usually chance cables, my speaker cables and interconnects are more than decades old. And always stick to the stock power cords for a very long times.

The first thing when I have a dedicated room for 2ch hifi, I started with separated dedicated lines for power amps, analogue and digital sources. And now almost each of the equipment, especially pre and power amps, even R-to-R player, have their own dedicated line. "clean" and "dirty" digital gears are separated from different lines.

Whenever, I've a new equipment, after run it in for sometimes, I'll re-tune the speakers' positioning and sub settings.

and watch out for the below:

https://www.audiosystemsoptimized.com/mechanical

In short, Opto Dx is not a cable.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 10:31 PM Post #11,340 of 18,491
I ran Abyss 1266TC off my Dave for a while before i got a headphone amp. It’s was fine. It was better with the amp though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back