Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jun 9, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #11,206 of 18,495
Hello all,

I've had the TT2 powering a set of Abyss 1266 Phi TC headphones for a while now. And while it's always been a tad on the bright side for me, it was something I've been really happy with so far. I decided to upgrade to the M scalar and I've put probably 50-100 hours or so of listening in. I'm finding that the Mscalar has made the brightness of the TT2+Abyss almost to the point of it being unlistenable for certain songs and longer periods of time. There are certain songs where high treble symbols sound incredibly thin and almost piercing at medium/high volumes. Some voices like on Nirvana Unplugged, the voice takes on an almost chipmunk like nasal ring on certain parts of the track(I'm explaining this badly). I've tried a few basic things like swapping sources, power outlets, etc just to see if there was something basic that might be able to help out.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar?

My sources have been a win10 laptop, a Raspberry pi running Ropieee(roon), and a windows10 desktop machine. I'm using an Oyaide NEO D+ USB Class A cable.

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #11,207 of 18,495
I'm finding that the Mscalar has made the brightness of the TT2+Abyss almost to the point of it being unlistenable for certain songs and longer periods of time. There are certain songs where high treble symbols sound incredibly thin and almost piercing at medium/high volumes.

Congratulations, you have heard the true sonic effect of the M Scaler. You have not been influenced by the endless gushing reviews in this forum and elsewhere into thinking that the lean, bright sound produced by the M Scaler is actually an improvement. The TT2 on its own is quite a decent DAC (better, in my opinion, than the DAVE - I have owned both).

You may well come to believe that the difference made by the M Scaler is actually an improvement if you keep reading the comments in this thread which will inevitably follow. But if you retain confidence in your own ability to hear and judge for yourself, you will probably realise that the endless upscaling of music signals through massive processing is not without (significant) cost, and you will end up selling your M Scaler and enjoying the TT2 as it is.

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #11,208 of 18,495
quite honestly, the TT2 is an outstanding DAC but if you think it is better than the Dave then you are hard to take seriously. I believe the overwhelming number of people who have heard both would attest to the dave being a better DAC by a long shot ,about the only place one might prefer the TT2 is the more powerful HP section...in terms of the hugo 2 I myself have the blu 2 with the Dave and would say the improvement is quite evident and once again I do think that is a consensus view...you are certainly entitled to any opinion you want but not your own facts

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #11,209 of 18,495
Congratulations, you have heard the true sonic effect of the M Scaler. You have not been influenced by the endless gushing reviews in this forum and elsewhere into thinking that the lean, bright sound produced by the M Scaler is actually an improvement. The TT2 on its own is quite a decent DAC (better, in my opinion, than the DAVE - I have owned both).

You may well come to believe that the difference made by the M Scaler is actually an improvement if you keep reading the comments in this thread which will inevitably follow. But if you retain confidence in your own ability to hear and judge for yourself, you will probably realise that the endless upscaling of music signals through massive processing is not without (significant) cost, and you will end up selling your M Scaler and enjoying the TT2 as it is.

What is this, a seemingly unbiased, level headed piece of commentary in a Chord thread? Almost looked out the window for flying pigs. I would have bet good money that the first response was going to be 'too much RFI, not enough ferrites'.

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #11,211 of 18,495
quite honestly, the TT2 is an outstanding DAC but if you think it is better than the Dave then you are hard to take seriously. I believe the overwhelming number of people who have heard both would attest to the dave being a better DAC by a long shot ,about the only place one might prefer the TT2 is the more powerful HP section...in terms of the hugo 2 I myself have the blu 2 with the Dave and would say the improvement is quite evident and once again I do think that is a consensus view...you are certainly entitled to any opinion you want but not your own facts
Read my mind!

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #11,212 of 18,495

great to have some other opinions obviously. If mscaler is fundamentally bringing brightness, why does he only hear it hear and there, if I remember what he wrote rightly :)
But be good to get more thoughts.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #11,213 of 18,495
Hello all,

I've had the TT2 powering a set of Abyss 1266 Phi TC headphones...

This is how to unleash the potential of the HMS, and place it far away from the Dac, different power line, of course.

11250375_thumb.jpg

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #11,214 of 18,495
I think the solution is the tinfoil you have in the background.. and lots of it.

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #11,216 of 18,495
This is how to unleash the potential of the HMS, and place it far away from the Dac, different power line, of course.
Thanks for the info which you provided by PM. I have ordered everything to replicate what you have there. Hopefully it will soon be winging its way from China . . . . .

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #11,218 of 18,495
Can you ellaborate?

It is really @dac64 ‘s show but he has kindly shared the info with me so I’m sure he is happy for it fo be passed on. It is basically a bnc to optical transmit and receive system using totally off the shelf parts costing £250 UKP in total or less all in. I have ordered everything and will report back on my thoughts when all the bits arrive.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #11,219 of 18,495
It is really @dac64 ‘s show but he has kindly shared the info with me so I’m sure he is happy for it fo be passed on. It is basically a bnc to optical transmit and receive system using totally off the shelf parts costing £250 UKP in total or less all in. I have ordered everything and will report back on my thoughts when all the bits arrive.

Sounds to me like a similar approach to that reported on by ray-dude re. the 'OptoDX' some time ago?...ie. S/PDIF coax > optical > back to S/PDIF?...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back