Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 15, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #10,938 of 18,628
Just to followup on my earlier comments about the double-regulated DXP-1A5DSC, I have now gained reassurance from Alexey (who makes these units) that my unit, while hot (perhaps egg-frying hot was a bit of an exaggeration), is still well within the rated operating temperature. In fact it is even a little hotter but still usable when fed 16v from the PP5; it was actually my 15v single-regulated DXP-1A5S that ran cool when powering the M Scaler.

All that said, a slightly better choice for the M Scaler (or TT2) if intending to use a Pilot Pro battery pack would be to order a DXP-1A5DSC with the pre-regulator set at 15v and the output voltage set to 13.5v, and then drive that with the PP5 at 16v (the feeder power should be 1v higher than the pre-regulator, but not much more). That should run a little cooler as well as power the M Scaler nearer to the optimum 15v.

Thanks this is good info....Question has anyone tested the Chord Hugo 2 with HMS...

May 15, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #10,939 of 18,628
A quick update on my HMS/TT2 combo.

As I mentioned on the TT2 thread, this duo - for better (in my eyes) or worse, highlights any imperfections in poorly recorded material without mercy. The level of resolution ir remarkable. And how m-s can indeed improve the sound of original CD res material when fed to TT2 in 705kHz is nothing short of miraculous IMHO. And 96kHz etc to 768 goes without saying lol!

Today will be removing the troublesome stock coax cables and really looking forward to seeing what better cables bring...am already in love with Rob Watts!! :wink:

Just another quick question/query...has anyone found the 'DXOP' light staying on, but only when music is playing? The 'manual' says to leave it - and the other 2 DX buttons, switched OFF. But mine comes back on when I try to switch it off. Plus, the online manual says the DX up and down buttons can be used for dimming, but mine have no such effect (unless that's only for when DX is operational?). Would appreciate any comments...CHEERS!

May 15, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #10,940 of 18,628
Just another quick question/query...has anyone found the 'DXOP' light staying on, but only when music is playing? The 'manual' says to leave it - and the other 2 DX buttons, switched OFF. But mine comes back on when I try to switch it off. Plus, the online manual says the DX up and down buttons can be used for dimming, but mine have no such effect (unless that's only for when DX is operational?). Would appreciate any comments...CHEERS!
Haha... Chord manuals... Yeah, not the most helpful or even sometimes accurate.
Even though the DX-OP light is called that, when music is playing, it actually displays the input sampling rate. So if you’re playing CDs bit-perfect, the light should be Red. If you’re playing 96kHz music, the light should be Green. And if you’re playing DSD bit-perfect into the M-Scaler, the light should be white. There is no way to turn off that light. Pressing those DX buttons I don’t think does anything. At least not for now... Although that’s not totally true because you can dim all your lights on the M-Scaler by pressing those two DX buttons on the right together at the same time. Does make it less bright?

May 15, 2020 at 10:37 PM Post #10,941 of 18,628
May 15, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #10,942 of 18,628
i'm listening to it now. don't forget for the most accurate timing and to get rid of noise from the ADC on this 96khz recording choose filter 2 on tt2.

May 16, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #10,943 of 18,628
Thanks this is good info....Question has anyone tested the Chord Hugo 2 with HMS...
Just received my Hugo 2 and Mscaler this week, and I am in love soundwise! "Just" got the Moon Audio cable for them to not have to fiddle around with a lot of adapters.

It is great - this is all I can say :) My ZMF Verites shine even more! Not sure when, but I am considering the Wave cables but the highest tier with 1500€ +- is much money..And I think first I will go all way to TT2 - although now I do not know what could be better.

May 16, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #10,944 of 18,628
mDave

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #10,946 of 18,628
Just received my Hugo 2 and Mscaler this week, and I am in love soundwise! "Just" got the Moon Audio cable for them to not have to fiddle around with a lot of adapters.

It is great - this is all I can say :) My ZMF Verites shine even more! Not sure when, but I am considering the Wave cables but the highest tier with 1500€ +- is much money..And I think first I will go all way to TT2 - although now I do not know what could be better.
According to Rob Watts the RFI from the M Scaler has no effect if there's no loop via ground connection – which is the case with a battery-driven Hugo₂. To be sure, you could get in contact with him.

May 16, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #10,947 of 18,628
Excuse my complete ignorance of this type of product. Switch? Why would one need this 450 quid "Switch" and what does it do better than say streaming music from Youtube or sites like Digital Concert Hall via my mbp laptop?
I wouldn't mind a fully functional STANDALONE reasonably priced player, streamer product that could play all my music in all formats and stored on portable hardrives without having to use my laptop.
The only way I can play music via my Qutest and HMS now without my laptop is optical via cd player.
Is this something to use in connection with the two other expensive products Chord has just released for H2 fans and which also need a smartphone to be functional at all?
OOps,I just realized this thingy comes from the other Chord company.
But my question still stands. Why would one need it and in which context and combination of other products?
If this only makes it possible to stream music in two, three of more different rooms at the same time from the same source? I have absolutely no need for it whatsoever.
I have the annoying very old fashioned habit of actually staying in one room when listening to music, not walking from room to room while doing so.
Cheers CC

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #10,948 of 18,628
You plug in your home ethernet cable into it. It revitalises the signal. You then have 7 ethernet ports ready to feed streamers or whatever else you want.

May 16, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #10,949 of 18,628
According to Rob Watts the RFI from the M Scaler has no effect if there's no loop via ground connection – which is the case with a battery-driven Hugo₂. To be sure, you could get in contact with him.
Hi, thanks for the notification :) what does that mean for me - do I need a grounding or better cables? Is it true when the Hugo2 is in desktop mode (pink orb)?

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #10,950 of 18,628
You plug in your home ethernet cable into it. It revitalises the signal. You then have 7 ethernet ports ready to feed streamers or whatever else you want.
Thanks for your quick response,
and explanation for someone who only wants a simple high quality cheap alternative to his mbp or cd player.
Since I don't have any "home ethernet cable" in my cottage in the woods this product is as needless as I supected it might be for me personally.
Cheers CC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back