Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
May 14, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #10,921 of 18,627
Since there is some talk on the EtherRegen...

I posted the following on the uptone forum as well. They suggested some fixes.

I am sending upsampled music from main pc using HQplayer to an Intel Nuc using HQPlayer NAA. My dac is capable of 1.536m pcm playback.

I found that if I listened to MQA music upsampled to 1.536m pcm sent to nuc (naa) I would get short stops/gaps in the music every 20 to 25 seconds (regular and consistent). However, non MQA music did not have any issues (these were upsampled to 1.4112M).

I spent days trying to troubleshoot this, and turns out the problem is with the ER B side port.

If I remove the ER from the chain, I get playback with no issues at 1.536M.
If I connect ER to nuc (NAA) using only the A side ports, playback with no issues.
If I connect ER to nuc using ethernet cable from the B side port, I get the problem of gaps/stops in music.

Must be something to do with the B side port on the EtherRegen which is limited to 100mbps transmission rate.

Am relieved I found out what the issue was. Now to consider if I want the ER or I want 1.536m pcm playback.

May 14, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #10,922 of 18,627
A Paul Hynes SR4T-19 would be an interesting addition to that shootout, possibly also with a DXP-1A5DSC https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/dxp-1a5dsc.htm. My SR4T-19 (15v) easily beats my Farad3 (15v) with the M Scaler, and improves a useful bit more with the DXP-1A5DSC (pre-reg 13.5v, output 12v). That small DXP unit does run egg-frying hot with the SR4T, but is quite cool and still impressive when fed 16v from a Pilot Pro 5.

Is that an offer to lend me the SR4T-19?

When you say that the DXP-1A5DSC improved things a useful bit more, in what way was it improving?

My two headline comparisons last night were between the Farad3 15v and Sean Jacobs DC4 15v. To my ears with the DC4 the HMS and Dave gave a way more subtle top end and was much less 'in your face' with things such as snare drums.

May 14, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #10,923 of 18,627
Is that an offer to lend me the SR4T-19?

When you say that the DXP-1A5DSC improved things a useful bit more, in what way was it improving?

My two headline comparisons last night were between the Farad3 15v and Sean Jacobs DC4 15v. To my ears with the DC4 the HMS and Dave gave a way more subtle top end and was much less 'in your face' with things such as snare drums.
I’ll pm you.

May 14, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #10,924 of 18,627
1589480237575.png

May 14, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #10,926 of 18,627
OK folks, my (better sounding silver :wink:) m-scaler arrived today...literally hot off the production line (could have had a black one much sooner lol!).

And I'm very relieved to say that my fears re. its 'magic' effect on my TT2 being somewhat watered down by the degree of its recent improvements, courtesy of my unorthodox dual modified cat 8 based coax alternative, were totally misplaced. Even after just a couple of hours' running in, the improvements are indeed quite substantial...on all counts. I shan't repeat here my (slightly) more detailed early impressions, but for anyone interested they're here on the TT2 thread : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-tt-2-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.879425/page-606

I am however a little disappointed in the supplied coax cables' BNC connections - both at m-s's outputs and TT2's inputs. The slightest wiggling and the connections falter...anyone else had this problem? I'm not too bothered at the moment because tomorrow I shall be replacing them with 2 more of my dual 'specials', and hopefully the connections will be much better!

And while on this subject, out of interest I measured the capacitance and inductance of the supplied coax cables, and which confirms the much lower figures for my own DIY dual cable 'alternatives' using teflon coated UP-OCC solid silver wires...especially for inductance (electromagnetic field). Along with lower loss and better (Edit : cleaner) signal 'flow' from the OCC silver, plus the superior shielding of cat 8 (or 7) cable, I'm hoping that - as with the feed from my Naim (not needing any ferrite cores), the same will help maximise m-s's 2 feeds to TT2...again without the need for ferrites (which I'd much rather do without, unless absolutely necessary lol!).

And so a quick pic of my current setup :

DSC_0068 m-scaler.jpg

(Photo looks much sharper in my gear than here alas!...don't know why?...).

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #10,927 of 18,627
OK folks, my (better sounding silver :wink:) m-scaler arrived today...literally hot off the production line (could have had a black one much sooner lol!).

And I'm very relieved to say that my fears re. its 'magic' effect on my TT2 being somewhat watered down by the degree of its recent improvements, courtesy of my unorthodox dual modified cat 8 based coax alternative, were totally misplaced. Even after just a couple of hours' running in, the improvements are indeed quite substantial...on all counts. I shan't repeat here my (slightly) more detailed early impressions, but for anyone interested they're here on the TT2 thread : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-tt-2-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.879425/page-606

I am however a little disappointed in the supplied coax cables' BNC connections - both at m-s's outputs and TT2's inputs. The slightest wiggling and the connections falter...anyone else had this problem? I'm not too bothered at the moment because tomorrow I shall be replacing them with 2 more of my dual 'specials', and hopefully the connections will be much better!

And while on this subject, out of interest I measured the capacitance and inductance of the supplied coax cables, and which confirms the much lower figures for my own DIY dual cable 'alternatives' using teflon coated UP-OCC solid silver wires...especially for inductance (electromagnetic field). Along with lower loss and better signal 'flow' from the OCC silver, plus the superior shielding of cat 8 (or 7) cable, I'm hoping that - as with the feed from my Naim (not needing any ferrite cores), the same will help maximise m-s's 2 feeds to TT2...again without the need for ferrites (which I'd much rather do without, unless absolutely necessary lol!).

And so a quick pic of my current setup :

DSC_0068 m-scaler.jpg

(Photo looks much sharper in my gear than here alas!...don't know why?...).
What are those Baby Peg Legs under the TT2?

May 14, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #10,929 of 18,627
My supplied cables failed with the slightest movement as well. Belden cables solved that.

May 14, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #10,930 of 18,627
anyone else had this problem?
No problems at all with mine, I just added ten clip on ferrites per cable, hooked them up, and they have worked flawlessly.I notice the Naim Core sitting next to the Chord stack, I use a Core too. I wonder if since you have them stacked that the loop they form is too tight? My TT2 ,Mscaler and Core all have their own seperate shelf on my Fraim, mainly to give them a little distance between each other. The Core has a good size power supply inside, that can not be good right next to the Chord stack.

May 14, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #10,931 of 18,627
No problems at all with mine, I just added ten clip on ferrites per cable, hooked them up, and they have worked flawlessly.I notice the Naim Core sitting next to the Chord stack, I use a Core too. I wonder if since you have them stacked that the loop they form is too tight? My TT2 ,Mscaler and Core all have their own seperate shelf on my Fraim, mainly to give them a little distance between each other. The Core has a good size power supply inside, that can not be good right next to the Chord stack.

10 clip on ferrites N?...YIKES! One is one too many in my book lol!!!

No, it's as with @Progisus ...very poor quality cables/connectors...not impressed actually! Once 'wiggled' into stable connection, all is fine...but still not good enough as far as I'm concerned. But no matter, I had no intention whatsoever of keeping them on past a testing stage anyway...never ever do with stock cables (my pet hate). Can't wait to see how my 'super' cables perform in the role...sans ferrites!!

And fortunately, I'm getting no issues whatsoever from having all 3 units so close to each other...but will keep a weather ear open lol :wink:...

May 14, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #10,932 of 18,627
I heard 5G could make you sick; I think ferrites might make you sick as well. Be careful!

May 15, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #10,934 of 18,627
A Paul Hynes SR4T-19 would be an interesting addition to that shootout, possibly also with a DXP-1A5DSC https://www.ldovr.com/product-p/dxp-1a5dsc.htm. My SR4T-19 (15v) easily beats my Farad3 (15v) with the M Scaler, and improves a useful bit more with the DXP-1A5DSC (pre-reg 13.5v, output 12v). That small DXP unit does run egg-frying hot with the SR4T, but is quite cool and still impressive when fed 16v from a Pilot Pro 5.
Just to followup on my earlier comments about the double-regulated DXP-1A5DSC, I have now gained reassurance from Alexey (who makes these units) that my unit, while hot (perhaps egg-frying hot was a bit of an exaggeration), is still well within the rated operating temperature. In fact it is even a little hotter but still usable when fed 16v from the PP5; it was actually my 15v single-regulated DXP-1A5S that ran cool when powering the M Scaler.

All that said, a slightly better choice for the M Scaler (or TT2) if intending to use a Pilot Pro battery pack would be to order a DXP-1A5DSC with the pre-regulator set at 15v and the output voltage set to 13.5v, and then drive that with the PP5 at 16v (the feeder power should be 1v higher than the pre-regulator, but not much more). That should run a little cooler as well as power the M Scaler nearer to the optimum 15v.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back