or with sleeves

Huh, Do you mean sleeves

555999F8-E3C3-4096-807D-23A38650614D.jpeg

From gas monkey

:sunglasses:

Apr 14, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #10,532 of 18,495
altered carbon, throw in sleeves and past, present and i found myself ****ed up

Apr 14, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #10,533 of 18,495
I just got these BNc cables after reading up quite a bit in this thread. They are a nice low cost option.

https://www.ramelectronics.net/BBP.aspx

They are a heavier cable with much more sturdy terminations than the stock cables. My immediate sound impressions are smoother, more depth, richer and perhaps a little more pinpoint in the sound stage.

Thanks to everyone for all the BNc Cable related info in this thread.

Without wishing to pour cold water on your purchase, that cable (Belden 1695A) is just the plenum (ie fire rated) version on the Belden 1694A cable which can be bought from Blue Jeans Cables and elsewhere made up with BNC to BNC connectors for less than $20 USD per 3ft length. It is a good quality cable and has good quality connectors but is unlikely to affect the sound by reducing RF noise.

I recently got the Blue Jeans BNC's and they are an improvement at least over the included stock cables which don't have as good shielding and conductors. I notice a difference in the form of a bit less of brittleness to the sound versus the stock BNC's, which is great in my book, especially for the price.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #10,534 of 18,495
I recently got the Blue Jeans BNC's and they are an improvement at least over the included stock cables which don't have as good shielding and conductors. I notice a difference in the form of a bit less of brittleness to the sound versus the stock BNC's, which is great in my book, especially for the price.
I am happy with Sablon Panatela bnc cables between Dave and HMS.

http://www.sablonaudio.com/index.php/signal

It is reasonably priced but its performance is top end.

Apr 14, 2020 at 9:18 PM Post #10,535 of 18,495
I just had a bit of an ephiphany with regards to BNC cables. It turns out that many of them (likely the stock ones that come with the MScaler too), while they utilize the proper 75Ohm digital cabling, do not use a proper 75 Ohm connector and instead are using 50 Ohm connectors.

According to Canare, this can yield to increased signal reflections due to this impedance mismatch:

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 6.12.35 PM.jpg

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/pages/technicaldocs/canarebnc.pdf

You want BNC cables that not only have good electromagnetic interference shielding and are 75 Ohms, but also use matched 75 Ohm connectors as well.

This certainly seems to match up with improvements I think I'm hearing with the new 'proper' BNC cables I just got (from Blue Jeans Cable), versus the stock BNC cables between my MScaler and Hugo TT2.

I knew previously that this also goes for USB cables for digital audio; you want to make sure both the wiring and the connectors to be the proper 90 Ohm impedance for USB audio.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #10,536 of 18,495
...likely the stock ones that come with the MScaler too), while they utilize the proper 75Ohm digital cabling, do not use a proper 75 Ohm connector and instead are using 50 Ohm connectors.
How likely is your "likely", that would be very bad indeed, considering the price we paid for it. I do not want to believe it and this accusation has to be substantiated.

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #10,537 of 18,495
How likely is your "likely", that would be very bad indeed, considering the price we paid for it. I do not want to believe it and this accusation has to be substantiated.

See this from the above link. You can take a look at the stock cable connectors yourself:

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 7.27.27 PM.jpg

I think they may actually be 75 Ohm based on this, but not sure since we probably cannot trust unless that's specifically stated by the cable maker.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #10,538 of 18,495
See this from the above link. You can take a look at the stock cable connectors yourself:

I think they may actually be 75 Ohm based on this, but not sure.
WOW, I want you to be very very wrong, but I'm speechless if this is true. Anybody with an oscilloscope to verify?

@Mojo ideas We really need to hear from you. These cables do not come with a £200, but a £3495 piece of equipment, really? Please let us be wrong here.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #10,539 of 18,495
These cables do not come with a £200, but a £3495 piece of equipment, really? Please let us be wrong here.

They're just standard BNC cables, I don't think any high end manufacturer includes high end cables with their equipment so, not sure what you expect.

Apr 15, 2020 at 1:23 AM Post #10,541 of 18,495

I see you quoted me quoting Rob Watts. The BNC cables supplied with the MScaler are exactly what Rob said in his post. They are get you going cables that work properly.

Cables are something that each end user often wants to use a set of his choice so I can see the logic of not including a set that costs £100 or £50 or whatever because the price of the MScaler would be correspondingly higher.

Every now and then someone gets slightly on their high horse about the supplied cables but at least there is a set of cables supplied, they work and the end user can get going with the MScaler straight out of the box. I don’t think anyone sees them as being a cable for the rest of their life but that is not their purpose.

Many other high end manufacturers might not have bothered to include any cables at all on the basis that the end user would want to choose their own cables. I say count yourself as being lucky with Chords attitude.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #10,542 of 18,495
I guess, it is always a question of wording and marketing. I am not here choosing sides, but consumers would react differently, if the wording would be:

- "including a free set of "to start-cables" - then comsumers wouldn't expect a high end product

- it might be also a matter of price and spending: the money one spends on gear should not exceed a certain level compared to your income - if the M-Scaler already nills your account in a way that you could not afford "easily" an 800 € cable then you should not spend the money in first place. Imagine you/ your cat/child/wife/ neighbor damages your gear, that is one-two months of your income..

- I agreee that if we would have an industrial standard for non included cables for amps, dacs etc, then consumers would be happy that chord DOES include the cable

- headphiles also replace their standard headphone cables without asking questions, we replace usb cables to our dacs, some are buying power bricks for 1000€ - If you are able to spend 5-6 k € (M-Scaler with at least Qutest) on the gear, 100€ should be bearable for an upgrade

- the discussion of cables and snake-oil is always ongoing, I try to image it like the rims to your car: if you are able to spend a certain amount of money, you will spend some on top just for the feeling, looks etc. without needing the proof that you Porsche actually drives faster - it just looks nicer. If you are able to spend 200€ for an SMSL THX great, do it, you won't think about 300€ RCA cables I am sure...you also buy a nice flower pot for your paprika, even if does nothing for the growth etc.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #10,543 of 18,495
I guess, it is always a question of wording and marketing. I am not here choosing sides, but consumers would react differently, if the wording would be:

- "including a free set of "to start-cables" - then comsumers wouldn't expect a high end product

- it might be also a matter of price and spending: the money one spends on gear should not exceed a certain level compared to your income - if the M-Scaler already nills your account in a way that you could not afford "easily" an 800 € cable then you should not spend the money in first place. Imagine you/ your cat/child/wife/ neighbor damages your gear, that is one-two months of your income..

- I agreee that if we would have an industrial standard for non included cables for amps, dacs etc, then consumers would be happy that chord DOES include the cable

- headphiles also replace their standard headphone cables without asking questions, we replace usb cables to our dacs, some are buying power bricks for 1000€ - If you are able to spend 5-6 k € (M-Scaler with at least Qutest) on the gear, 100€ should be bearable for an upgrade

- the discussion of cables and snake-oil is always ongoing, I try to image it like the rims to your car: if you are able to spend a certain amount of money, you will spend some on top just for the feeling, looks etc. without needing the proof that you Porsche actually drives faster - it just looks nicer. If you are able to spend 200€ for an SMSL THX great, do it, you won't think about 300€ RCA cables I am sure...you also buy a nice flower pot for your paprika, even if does nothing for the growth etc.
There is a difference between rims and cables. Cables actually make a difference in performance. Going from the chord bnc cables to my SOtM bnc cables made a very noticeable difference. I’ve heard from many other s that Nick’s WAVE cables make just as much of a difference. Going from the stock TC cable to the SuperConductor one made a big difference. Upgrading my power cables made a big difference. Changing your rims to a fancy design does not improve performance (maybe rim size does, but let’s just assume you’re using the same size).

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #10,544 of 18,495
To add on everyone perceives differences differently, for some it matters for some it does not. I fall in middle but prefer to have the nicer cables.

Apr 15, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #10,545 of 18,495
This cable debacle is the reason I sold my mscaler. It seemed mandatory that to achieve the implied sonic performance promised that up to half of the purchase price of the mscaler would be required for after market cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back