Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Apr 15, 2020 at 7:56 AM Post #10,546 of 18,496
This cable debacle is the reason I sold my mscaler. It seemed mandatory that to achieve the implied sonic performance promised that up to half of the purchase price of the mscaler would be required for after market cables.

My Blue Jeans Cable BNC’s were under $40 for the pair and I’m quite happy with them.

Apr 15, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #10,547 of 18,496
Mediahound I noticed you generally have higher end more expensive cables for most of your set up, what made you take a more modest route on the BNC cables?

What was your thought process of which cables to spend more money on is basically what I'm asking to get a snapshot of your thought process.

Do you personally find that ethernet cables make a significant difference?

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #10,548 of 18,496
ethernet audio cables not so much but that hasn't stoped me from spending huge on all cables and usb and even audio ethernet. The irony is that there seems to always be something even more expensive that makes it feel reasonable, sort of.

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #10,549 of 18,496
Mediahound I noticed you generally have higher end more expensive cables for most of your set up, what made you take a more modest route on the BNC cables?

What was your thought process of which cables to spend more money on is basically what I'm asking to get a snapshot of your thought process.

Do you personally find that ethernet cables make a significant difference?

No, not me. I'm not a believer in expensive high end cables, you must have me confused with someone else. Not that I don't believe they can provide some benefit, I just don't like the extreme diminishing returns you get with them. I pretty much swear by Blue Jeans Cable most of the time. Because they conform to the the specs. and publish rfi/emi noise rejection numbers on their cables, and simply make good build quality and excellent sounding cables for the price, that I'm always impressed with.

BTW, for USB, I like the Supra USB cable from Sweden, for the same reasons (my video review is below). I now only buy cables where the specs are published. So many so called 'audiophile' cables don't even conform to the specs, especially USB ones (which need to be 90 Ohms).

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #10,550 of 18,496
i use a certified class 2 usb cable (with the official tag attached to the cable) shipped in from Germany to UK total cost £25. Excellent sound correct build and spec. Works great with mscaler up to 192khz and i'm sure beyond that if needed.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #10,551 of 18,496
i use a certified class 2 usb cable (with the official tag attached to the cable) shipped in from Germany to UK total cost £25. Excellent sound correct build and spec. Works great with mscaler up to 192khz and i'm sure beyond that if needed.

As long as it's the 90 Ohms USB audio standard, and has good shielding , you should be good. The problem is many USB cable makers are actually out of that spec., and don't publish it.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #10,552 of 18,496
As long as it's the 90 Ohms USB audio standard, and has good shielding , you should be good. The problem is many USB cable makers are actually out of that spec., and don't publish it.

I sometimes wonder if good shielding can be a double edged sword. It can keep noise in a cable (ie more noise reaches the end of the cable) as well as keep noise out. So if one has a noisy source perhaps a leaky cable is better? Just thinking aloud really.

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #10,553 of 18,496
I sometimes wonder if good shielding can be a double edged sword. It can keep noise in a cable (ie more noise reaches the end of the cable) as well as keep noise out. So if one has a noisy source perhaps a leaky cable is better? Just thinking aloud really.

Listening tests don't seem to show that nor do measurements by pro's who's job it is to measure such things, example:

If you actually have noise being transmitted by your source (from noisy AC power or whatever it may be), it's best to address that at that source, not to try hope to address that via the signal transmission cable (be it digital or analog).

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 12:16 PM Post #10,554 of 18,496
Listening tests don't seem to show that nor do measurements by pro's who's job it is to measure such things,
That video has nothing to do with what I was muttering about or indeed with what you posted. I'm not sure what listening tests you have done or how many cables you have listened to but I have done many and have also do my own RF measurements with the cables for loss, screening etc. Anyway, forget it, it was a moment of idle curiosity and nothing was meant by it.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #10,555 of 18,496
This cable debacle is the reason I sold my mscaler. It seemed mandatory that to achieve the implied sonic performance promised that up to half of the purchase price of the mscaler would be required for after market cables.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would actually sell the m-scaler over the cables...you can spend a lot or spend a modest sum and get perfectly good performance...I am not sure of anyone actually spends half the cost of the m-scaler on cables but hey...whatever works for you!

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #10,556 of 18,496
I find it hard to believe that anyone would actually sell the m-scaler over the cables...you can spend a lot or spend a modest sum and get perfectly good performance...I am not sure of anyone actually spends half the cost of the m-scaler on cables but hey...whatever works for you!
Mscaler - 6200.00 cad
Wave cables - 2500.00 cad
Not half but closing in.

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #10,557 of 18,496
amphenol rf bnc £75 and punch well above their weight.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #10,558 of 18,496
Apr 15, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #10,559 of 18,496
is there any audible difference?

Apr 15, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #10,560 of 18,496
Mscaler - 6200.00 cad
Wave cables - 2500.00 cad
Not half but closing in.

come on now nobody needs to spend 2500 for a cable to enjoy the combo.....thats ridiculous

Users who are viewing this thread

Back