Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Jan 23, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #9,961 of 18,495
Any consensus as to which is the ‘best’ input on the HMS.
I’m going to trial a Lumin U1 in my system, and wondered which HMS input would be best to use?

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #9,962 of 18,495
Any consensus as to which is the ‘best’ input on the HMS.
I’m going to trial a Lumin U1 in my system, and wondered which HMS input would be best to use?
They are all good and filtered well. I would use the best output available from the Lumen.

Jan 23, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #9,963 of 18,495
They are all good and filtered well. I would use the best output available from the Lumen.
Cheers for this.
I’m contemplating sending the USB output from the Lumin into my SACD player’s DAC (K-01X), and the SPDIF output from the Lumin into the HMS.

Jan 23, 2020 at 12:20 PM Post #9,964 of 18,495
try a small ipod touch 7th gen. on battery streaming via usb a bit perfect roon stream into hms. excellent. i mean it. screen darkened out and shut down using auto lock down and device controlled by roon core. this is done by disabling private zone on the ipod touch itself. i disabled private zone on the core too. a work of art.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #9,965 of 18,495
try a small ipod touch 7th gen. on battery streaming via usb a bit perfect roon stream into hms. excellent. i mean it. screen darkened out and shut down using auto lock down and device controlled by roon core. this is done by disabling private zone on the ipod touch itself. i disabled private zone on the core too. a work of art.

hqdefault.jpg

Interesting. Do you think this source is better than the CCA with iPower you have recommended previously?

I am currently testing CCA with iPower and wireworld optical cable. It sounds good but I am not convinced that it is any better than USB from my Zen mkIII.
I also did not notice much difference when I swapped stock CCA power supply to the iPower, but have not gone back to test again.
Note that these observations are on straight TT2. I don't have m scaler yet.

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:12 AM Post #9,966 of 18,495
Hmmmn, so RW has said that Dave 2 is not even being thought about and he has today said there is no progress on the digital amps. The guessing game is whether there is going to be a new digital product this year.

Does anyone have a functioning crystal ball?

I’m asking here only because it is one of the more active Chord threads.

Jan 24, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #9,967 of 18,495
Anybody using the M-scaler in combination with an Auralic G1? If so, I'd be very curious to hear some impressions from this pairing...

I own this combo, what would you like to know? although note that I got both units recently and I have not had time to properly evaluate them.

I got the Aries G1 first, and it clearly improved sound (paired with an AT-HA5050H), better clarity/resolution and sense of air/space.

I then acquired the MScaler, it added an even better sense of space/depth, this was specially notable when I removed it from the chain (pass through mode) but note that this quick G1 + M Scaler test was just a quick one with a Chord Mojo (and I was very surprised how good a Mojo could sound) because I did not have proper cables to test it with my other Dacs, which I'm looking forward to do ASAP.

Jan 24, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #9,968 of 18,495
Hmmmn, so RW has said that Dave 2 is not even being thought about and he has today said there is no progress on the digital amps. The guessing game is whether there is going to be a new digital product this year.

I’m asking here only because it is one of the more active Chord threads.

My crystal ball is showing the letters AVDNIA

What that means is anyones guess, however, 2go shows up as clear as day in my other crystal ball.

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #9,970 of 18,495

It might be 8 (or any other number) million taps M Scaler for Choral line. Chord BLU with the same amount of taps as HMS does not look attractive enough now. I wonder how many taps could be fed through double-BNC interface.

Jan 24, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #9,971 of 18,495
It might be 8 (or any other number) million taps M Scaler for Choral line. Chord BLU with the same amount of taps as HMS does not look attractive enough now. I wonder how many taps could be fed through double-BNC interface.
Dual-BNC is maxed out at 768kHz sample rate (at 24bits) due to S/PDIF being the technology underpinnings. I like the separation of digital upsampling from D/A and MScaler sets a benchmark for how good digital audio can sound. As far as 2020 products, I'd like to see:
- the digital amps (whats taking so long? its just a beefed up TT2 analog section, no?)
- an improved Mojo (more taps and DBNC input via mini jack like Hugo2)
- A Qutest2 with volume
- ultra-transparent equalization performed at the high-sample stage of Rob's design - this would linearize many headphones (and speakers).
Dan

Jan 24, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #9,972 of 18,495
Just for fun, here are my predictions for Chord future product developments:

I think the Dave name will be retired. For brits the name reminds us of a PM who liked to $&#@ pigs, and who drove the country off a cliff with his Brexit insanity.
I think the new high end DAC/Amp will be the CHUCK (Chord Hyper Upscaling Converter). The name will have more appeal in the lucrative american market, where every second bloke is Chuck or Bud.

The Chuck will have a 1M tap upscaler built in, in a separate milled compartment of a solid aluminium billet chassis, with the upscaler and Dac each having their own dedicated power supply. There will be more aluminium between the upscaler and Dac section than what is currently there with two separate boxes, but it will be a much cleaner installation and any debate about BNC cable ferrites will finally be put to rest. The Dac section will have a beefed up version of the TT2 supercap power supply.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 2:57 PM Post #9,973 of 18,495
dream on chuck

Jan 24, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #9,974 of 18,495

I think the Dave name will be retired. For brits the name reminds us of a PM who liked to $&#@ pigs, and who drove the country off a cliff with his Brexit insanity.
I think the new high end DAC/Amp will be the CHUCK (Chord Hyper Upscaling Converter). The name will have more appeal in the lucrative american market, where every second bloke is Chuck or Bud.

The Chuck will have a 1M tap upscaler built in, in a separate milled compartment of a solid aluminium billet chassis, with the upscaler and Dac each having their own dedicated power supply. There will be more aluminium between the upscaler and Dac section than what is currently there with two separate boxes, but it will be a much cleaner installation and any debate about BNC cable ferrites will finally be put to rest. The Dac section will have a beefed up version of the TT2 supercap power supply.

We need a second like button, as one like is not enough for this post.

Jan 24, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #9,975 of 18,495

Maybe a Dave in a housing that is stackable without a $2k stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back