Hugo M Scaler by Chord Electronics - The Official Thread
Dec 15, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #9,721 of 18,495
Great post Rob, as usual, but I am not sure I agree with the PC statement. In last 2 months my system changed significantly. I bought a TT2, and am using HQPlayer to upsample to 768K, and I am quite happy with both. It is a fact that I never heard MScaler to compare it with HQPlayer, but on the short term MScaler is on hold to me.
You mention PC needs orders of magnitude more power and so more noise. But none at all in my case, and no GPU being used, just regular CPU. I was already playing my music on my PC, so now I just use a player with integrated upscaler, no more power or noise, just better sound. Again that is not to say MScaler is not better (I can't say), but there is no doubt HQPlayer is much more easy to setup and use in my case. MScaler still on my radar, specially with eventual future versions, improved or integrated in new chord dacs.
Try poly-sinc-long-lp. I use both mscaler and HQPlayer. It gives me very satisfactory results especially at 768 to a mojo.

Dec 15, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #9,722 of 18,495
Try poly-sinc-long-lp. I use both mscaler and HQPlayer. It gives me very satisfactory results especially at 768 to a mojo.
Yes, it has been on that filter since day one, and with "Dither" none, and "Adaptive output rate" checked so that only 2x multiples are used.

Funny thing is that we also have to decrease "volume Max" by 3 db so that no clipping occurs, even though we can't easily hear the clipping, but it is signaled on the "Limited" counter. So here we can see in action why Rob shaved 3 db on MScaler volume :)

Mojo + HQPlayer must be (light years ahead) the best value (performance/cost ratio) ever on the hifi world. With TT2 we already have 100k taps (which we are discarding), but with Mojo only 26K taps (also discarded), so difference can be more noticeable. Not to mention Mojo can't make full use of MScaler, while with HQPlayer full taps are available.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #9,723 of 18,495
Yes, it has been on that filter since day one, and with "Dither" none, and "Adaptive output rate" checked so that only 2x multiples are used.

Funny thing is that we also have to decrease "volume Max" by 3 db so that no clipping occurs, even though we can't easily hear the clipping, but it is signaled on the "Limited" counter. So here we can see in action why Rob shaved 3 db on MScaler volume :)

Mojo + HQPlayer must be (light years ahead) the best value (performance/cost ratio) ever on the hifi world. With TT2 we already have 100k taps (which we are discarding), but with Mojo only 26K taps (also discarded), so difference can be more noticeable. Not to mention Mojo can't make full use of MScaler, while with HQPlayer full taps are available.
Dont compare M scaler effect vs HQplayer :) They are no way familiar :) But agree Mojo plus HQ is very very good price performance ratio

Dec 16, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #9,724 of 18,495
Great post Rob, as usual, but I am not sure I agree with the PC statement. In last 2 months my system changed significantly. I bought a TT2, and am using HQPlayer to upsample to 768K, and I am quite happy with both. It is a fact that I never heard MScaler to compare it with HQPlayer, but on the short term MScaler is on hold to me.
You mention PC needs orders of magnitude more power and so more noise. But none at all in my case, and no GPU being used, just regular CPU. I was already playing my music on my PC, so now I just use a player with integrated upscaler, no more power or noise, just better sound. Again that is not to say MScaler is not better (I can't say), but there is no doubt HQPlayer is much more easy to setup and use in my case. MScaler still on my radar, specially with eventual future versions, improved or integrated in new chord dacs.
I don’t think you’ve read Rob’s post properly.
Rob has made clear in his post that it’s not just about the upsampling. The HMS, and Rob’s WTA does much, much more than that.
My Roon Nucleus can easily upsample to 768K before passing it to my TT2. It sounds OK, but put the HMS in the chain, and let it do its magic and there’s no comparison whatsoever.
The HMS is so much more than just an ‘upsampler’.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #9,725 of 18,495
You mention PC needs orders of magnitude more power and so more noise. But none at all in my case, and no GPU being used, just regular CPU. I was already playing my music on my PC, so now I just use a player with integrated upscaler, no more power or noise, just better sound.

Rob is not talking about the sort of noise that is heard as background noise. It is not audible in that sense.

Dec 16, 2019 at 8:48 AM Post #9,726 of 18,495
Dont compare M scaler effect vs HQplayer :) They are no way familiar :) But agree Mojo plus HQ is very very good price performance ratio
I always like to preface my posts on the mscaler by saying that I own both mscaler and HQPlayer. I have listened and AB compared both extensively and in my system they are soundwise equal. That being said the hardware mscaler is more stable than the software HQPlayer but BOTH need to be rebooted from time to time.

I think this forum should allow for discussion of the upscaling and filtering technologies from more than just Chord. Chord introduced an industry changing technology in the mscaler but there are other players. I think it is important that other approaches can be compared and discussed and that this forum is not just for fan boys. I am not suggesting you are one at all.

Mods, if I am wrong please let me know.

Dec 16, 2019 at 10:41 AM Post #9,727 of 18,495
I always like to preface my posts on the mscaler by saying that I own both mscaler and HQPlayer. I have listened and AB compared both extensively and in my system they are soundwise equal. That being said the hardware mscaler is more stable than the software HQPlayer but BOTH need to be rebooted from time to time.

I think this forum should allow for discussion of the upscaling and filtering technologies from more than just Chord. Chord introduced an industry changing technology in the mscaler but there are other players. I think it is important that other approaches can be compared and discussed and that this forum is not just for fan boys. I am not suggesting you are one at all.

Hi progisus,
You are right. I am sorry for stating my opinion harshly. I have also heard both scaler and hq. My opinion is different. Sorry really if i upset you.

Vyyy

Dec 16, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #9,728 of 18,495
BOTH need to be rebooted from time to time
How so? :astonished:

My M Scaler is on 24/7. I turn it off only if I have to do something with other gear or mains power. It could be on for several months non-stop and works like a charm. How did you find out that your M Scaler needs to be rebooted?

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #9,729 of 18,495
How so? :astonished:

My M Scaler is on 24/7. I turn it off only if I have to do something with other gear or mains power. It could be on for several months non-stop and works like a charm. How did you find out that your M Scaler needs to be rebooted?
I found the music was sounding lifeless and after unplugging the mscaler and re powering the life was back. I had posted this and it was confirmed by Amberlamps. On the other hand HQPlayer can glitch it's output frequently (3-4 per month) and will need rebooting of the hosting computer or the naa end point. Of course ymmv.

Dec 16, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #9,730 of 18,495

I think the key words in your post are "in my system" and if I may add to that 'with your ears'.

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #9,731 of 18,495

I agree with you. I always believe that one can implement pretty much the same filter in PC. There are now a few reliable sources saying the new HQPlayer poly-sinc-long-lp filter is equal to Mscaler. PC noises are easily addressed using a combination of HQPlayer NAA network client and Dan’s optical isolation products.

But I will still continue to use Mscaler as HQPlayer interface is not very stable. But software upsampling should not be easily dismissed.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #9,732 of 18,495
Considering an upgrade to another streamer and curious if anyone is using the Auralic Aries G2. I like the features and the Wi-Fi, as I don't have accessible ethernet in my listening room (and it removes the need for more ethernet toys).

I've found wi-fi rock solid with both an Aries mini and Aries femto on my network, and less noisy than when plugged into a router or bridge.

Right now, I have moved to Toslink on my Aries Mini as it will do 192 khz (and the Femto won't over toslink), from USB on my Aries Femto as it sounds better (IMO). Curious how much an improvement the G2 can offer on the Femto via USB. Also curious if it could equal or improve upon Toslink from the mini, as Rob has said that Toslink is a reference.

I'm hoping that it's close to Innuous and Antipodes CX + EX (with the M Scaler) because the M Scaler's USB port is well isolated. My hope (which may or may not be the case), is that when you get to a certain level of streamer/server, differences will be small as a result) at least with Chord's Galvanic Isolation.

I currently use my HTPC in another room as Roon Core, which is a late gen core i7 with SSD.

EDIT: Would be really cool if a future version on M Scaler could act as a server / streamer. That and my with for a Chord Hugo DAP

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #9,733 of 18,495
Considering an upgrade to another streamer and curious if anyone is using the Auralic Aries G2. I like the features and the Wi-Fi, as I don't have accessible ethernet in my listening room (and it removes the need for more ethernet toys).

I've found wi-fi rock solid with both an Aries mini and Aries femto on my network, and less noisy than when plugged into a router or bridge.

Right now, I have moved to Toslink on my Aries Mini as it will do 192 khz (and the Femto won't over toslink), from USB on my Aries Femto as it sounds better (IMO). Curious how much an improvement the G2 can offer on the Femto via USB. Also curious if it could equal or improve upon Toslink from the mini, as Rob has said that Toslink is a reference.

I'm hoping that it's close to Innuous and Antipodes CX + EX (with the M Scaler) because the M Scaler's USB port is well isolated. My hope (which may or may not be the case), is that when you get to a certain level of streamer/server, differences will be small as a result) at least with Chord's Galvanic Isolation.

I currently use my HTPC in another room as Roon Core, which is a late gen core i7 with SSD.

EDIT: Would be really cool if a future version on M Scaler could act as a server / streamer. That and my with for a Chord Hugo DAP

Ive been waiting for Chord to release a stand-alone streamer based on Poly, but with more features and the ability to work with any DAC. Maybe the 2Go will be that device, and double as a stand-alone streamer.

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #9,734 of 18,495

What filters are you using on HQplayer & what is your CPU to be able to run it?

Dec 17, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #9,735 of 18,495

Users who are viewing this thread

Back